Honolulu (IRE) 4.c
Le Miracle (GER) 7.g
Regal Flush 4.c
Sagara (USA) 4.g
Septimus (IRE) 5.h
Silver Suitor (IRE) 4.g
Thundering Star (SAF) 5.h
Yeats (IRE) 7.h

It looks to be between Coastal Path and Yeats.

I see Le Miracle is down to run, he did me a nice ew turn in the race last year, but his last run was pretty feeble.

Glad to see Silver Suitor's still in there - it wouldn't surprise me if he ran. I reckon he's overpriced; he's still unexposed and could well run into a place.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 13 2008, 06:51 PM
Glad to see Silver Suitor's still in there - it wouldn't surprise me if he ran. I reckon he's overpriced; he's still unexposed and could well run into a place.
I agree-even though I thought 2009 would be the plan.I would make the French horse a place lay.

Nice piece as always Jamie, but I must take issue with the "68 years of history" stat

ASCOT
17 June 1993
Soft

My Result Result

3:45 Gold Cup (Class A) (Group 1) (Class 1) (4yo+) 2m4f

[off 3:49] £107,464.80, £39,853.59, £18,839.30, £7,875.31

Draw TRAINER Age Wgt JOCKEY SP OR TS RPR

1 Drum Taps (USA) 6 Lord Huntingdon 7 9-2 L Dettori 13/2 0 66 120S
2 3 Assessor (IRE) 4 R Hannon 4 9-0 T Quinn 100/30 0 64 118S
3 6 Turgeon (USA) 10 J E Pease 7 9-2 M Roberts 20/1 0 59 111S
4 7 Sought Out (IRE) 2 J E Hammond 5 8-13 C Asmussen 15/8F 0 50 101S
5 3½ Arcadian Heights (GB) 5 G Wragg 5 9-2 W R Swinburn 20/1 0 50 100S
6 shd Vintage Crop 8 D K Weld 6 9-2 M J Kinane 9/1 0 50 100S
7 4 Daru (USA) 1 J H M Gosden 4 9-0 v R Cochrane 25/1 0 46 96S
8 12 Further Flight 7 B W Hills 7 9-2 Michael Hills 14/1 0 36 —
9 15 Silvernesian (USA) 3 J L Dunlop 4 9-0 W Carson 33/1 0 23 —
10 2½ Allegan (USA) 9 H R A Cecil 4 9-0 Pat Eddery 12/1 0 21 —

Indeed so. It should also be said that some stats are as good as meaningless as few flat horses are kept in training at 7 to contest Group 1s. However, I agree Yeats will be doing very well to emulate Sagaro, the only horse to have won the race three times. Thanks for the post Jamie.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 16 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Steve. :clap:
In the absence of Septimus I'll find it difficult not to back Coastal Path Col. I think Septimus is a stonking good bet if he takes part though.

A fantastic read Steve, just like your Derby preview I read in the Raceform Update. It's nice to see you conform with my choice in regards to Coastal Path, although unlike yourself I believe a step-up in trip could well be what Sagara is after. Can't see them beating Coastal though, he's top class.

This looks like Coastal Path's year to me, he's not certain to get the trip but probably will.

I wonder if Yeats may not be quite as good as he was and there's some rain forecast for wednesday.

Le Miracle has been below par this year, so I'll give him a miss this time.

Originally posted by Venusian@Jun 16 2008, 05:38 PM
I wonder if Yeats may not be quite as good as he was and there's some rain forecast for wednesday.

Yeats has been very consistent in running to the low to mid 120s (recording RPRs of 122 in both his Gold Cups). His two most recent run have been well below that and although I expect him to put those last two runs well behind him it’s probably worth betting he won’t be able to run to his absolute best of 125/126, which it will probably take to win this year, especially if Septimus lines up and perhaps if he doesn’t. So on balance I just prefer Coastal Path (who is not quite there yet, but is just four) but definitely prefer Septimus (it seems his time to me and I hope they allow him to take part).

Originally posted by Homer J@Jun 16 2008, 06:05 PM
I would be against Yeats too. I suspect he is on the downgrade.
I'm not sure he is really on the downgrade (I’m conscious of it being unfair to judge him on his last performance of last season and the first of this – he’s been so consistent otherwise), I just can’t see him running the race of his life just now, so reluctantly I’m against him. However, his connections would love to equal Sagaro’s record with him and I’m sure he’s cherry-ripe to run as well as he is able (which won’t be too far away).

If Septimus does not run many will point to them leaving the way clear for Yeats. Another way of looking at it is they feel they have Yeats ready and good enough for this. Market will tell the story.

Coastal Path's Topspeed figures are remarkable, if for no other reason that it's amazing he's found so many true run races.

Le Miracle has been below par this year, so I'll give him a miss this time.

Big price on Betfair tonight; ~50s. Looks like he's been giver a similar prep, and as we know he stays and handles the ground and course.

I'd love to see Yeats equal Sagaro's record and won't mind losing if he does. I think that's sort of the way Magnier and co are looking at it too if they can't win with Yeats they won't win and certainly don't want to beat him with one of their own.

The head is ruling the heart with me today. Reluctantly I'm on Coastal Path.

Back