Bay Hawk? Update Please!

Two year olds in syndication can be difficult especially if, like Carl found out, they need some time to mature and then only run at 3. This is all well and good as long as the syndicate members are made aware of the waiting time and costs involved.

A two year old where syndicate members are expecting a run as a 2yo may be frustrating for some when the 2yo is clearly not going to run until a 3yo. Someone still has to pay for the training fees. :blink: Many syndicates are a mixture of those that understand racing and those that are just in it for some fun days out. I only ever had one 2yo in a syndicate and luckily for many that were involved he won as a 2yo, so they were all kept happy.

Contracts are absolutely crucial not only between the syndicate and the syndicate organiser(s) but between the trainer and the organiser of the syndicate too. It is so much easier to resolve possible "problems" if you have something legally binding between all parties.

I also recommend someone from the syndicate, preferably the organiser to become a member of the ROA. They can be extremely useful if things do go wrong.

Those costs are terrifying.

For comparison, I've looked at a French site which looks at the costs of owning a racehorse. The training costs for thoroughbreds and trotters are similar, varying from 800 Euros per month in the outer provinces to 1600 Euros per month in the Paris area. These are supposed to be total costs, not basic fees.

Here's a link to a page on the site which lays out some typical costs (and benefits) involved in owning a racehorse:

http://www.didier-louis.com/PAGES/INVESTIR..._financiers.php

Also on this page, if you click on carrieres de course it takes you to another page which shows some differences in costs between tbs and trotters, but as I say, they're much of a muchness.

I had a brief spell as an owner, and found it just what I was looking for. It was only 10% in a horse called Roman Empire. I didnt have to reister as an owner or have a bank account with Wetherbys. I paid my purchase price & then £150 a month training fees all in. I was offered badges every time it ran, but he only ever saw southwell & wolves whilst I was involved. because of work commitments I never got to see him at the track, and to be honest it didnt bother me as at that level of racing, my only interest was for betting purposes. he won a few races, and a bit of prize money then he was claimed. i transferred my ownership into anohter horse of Niall's called Up Tempo. He got claimed after winning two races whilst I was involved. All in all I was a lvery ucky owner. I took a risk with Up Tempo as he was 8 when I bought in. If he had not been claimed I could of ended up paying fees untill he was retired. I didnt make a fuss, or get involved. I just waited for the call to tell me wether to back him or not, and made sure the cheque was sent in advance. That for me is all I would ever want as an owner. Others I know have got more involved & got their fingers burnt. I am considering going into another syndicate, but would never set one up myself or get more involved than I have so far.

Vixen - yes, I'd say that Wavertree run their business very well, and they're at Lingfield tomorrow with the old battler! They turn out in very enthusiastic droves, and seem to have a realistic attitude towards their horses. You have really small yards like Patrick Chamings's 'Patrick Chamings Sprint Club' offering shared ownership for an all-in fee, ditto Pat Eddery Racing Club, Walter Swinburn (previously run by his father-in-law, Peter Harris), then Heart of the South Racing, Horses for Causes (where a % of winnings goes to specific charities), GG Racing and a host of other syndicates which own several horses. There are syndicate members on here who'd be delighted to PM you with details of what they're in, I'm sure. At these levels, you can have as much fun as having a horse with Stoute or Cumani, at a fraction of the cost!

There are pros and cons to forming partnerships with friends: you usually appoint one person as the partnership manager, who registers with Weatherbys. They may want a fee for their services and to cover petty cash for phone calls, etc., or they might be very kind and do it free! (As Songsheet did for ONE ALONE.) That person handles trainer liaison and invoices, arranges yard visits, badges for owners when the horse is racing, updates, and creates the Weatherbys account for any win money and ensures owners get it. It's very true that there is often a problem when one member refuses to pay training bills, which have to be paid, so that means other members have to stump up until a new member can be found, at which point the partnership may not be quite so matey after all.

With the clubs and syndicates, they already have a person set up to do all the admin, so you don't have to toss a coin to decide, and it's not your worry if someone drops out, since the clubs usually have a very large membership to more than cover costs. Of course you can't choose who's in them, but if you join with a friend or partner, then you've got each other's company. Many couples have bought memberships as Christmas or birthday prezzies, which I think is rather nice. As Uncle G says, there's sometimes one bumptious member, but you learn to swerve them!

I'm not so sure Patrick would be delighted to hear him described as a "really small yard", Kri!! :lol: He's got around 40 horses and does tend to bang in the odd big race or televised winner. It's a lovely yard too with very good facilities and an extremeley relaxed atmosphere. Both Patrick and Phillippa work very hard in the yard and are talented horsepeople too - Phillippa competed in an U21 UK team eventing at one stage of her career.

Thats interesting jft, it was Niall that was putting pressure on the trainer of two year old I mentioned !!

The Wavertree Syndicate is run very well, by a lovely lady Anne Dixon. She makes sure that all of their horses are retired, not sold on, except the broodmares. Not only is the syndicate great for racing but the social side of it is good too, she organises outings to all kinds of places, here and abroad. I was a member of her first syndicate horse, even though I had a horse of my own. There are about 400 people from the National Stud owner Breeder Clubs who join Anne's clubs so the partnerships vary in number, but not everyone attends race meetings or stable visits. It is exceptional value as all in payments, no surprises!

I actually run a partnership, but we are lucky because the owner has leased the horse to us, and that too is an all in payment, he bears the extra costs and responsibility, like wind ops. He also has the final decision as is the largest share holder, a smart thing to do to protect your horses. It depends upon what you want from racing a horse, there are so many angles. Half of my partnership are on the ground cheering the horse on, the other half always go straight to the bar, grab a table and bet and drink all day. It is how they have fun, we met up in between the races. They only come to the paddock to see their own horse and sometimes not even that. Even when she has been in the Winners Enclosure few have come down to welcome her. They are happy with their winnings!

Following on - and NO, I'm not on commission - I had a natter at Lingfield about the new Wavertree horse. This is WAVERTREE PRINCESS, a 2 y.o. by INVINCIBLE SPIRIT - BLUSHING QUEEN, trained by Nick Littmoden, and shares are available at a flat fee of £1,000. However, these can be split x 2 or x 4 between friends. Anyone interested can contact Anne Dixon through http://www.wavertreeracing.com. Aldaniti, hope that gives you a view of some of what's available in partial ownership?

He's fine thanks, Helen. He is a companion for one of John Maxse's horses at the moment. Brendan is moving yards this coming weekend so once that is all done and dusted, he will probably be moved back to Lambourn. He is having the time of his life and is being extremely well looked after.

Bay Hawk is now back at Brendan's yard. :clap: He is looking really well. He will clearly still have to take it easy for a while, but it's just so good to see his head peering out from his box again and nuzzling me for endless polo's. I've missed him. :brows:

He is a little confused as he left Morestead yard and went on his holidays and has been returned to Upper Lambourn but many of the staff still look familiar to him so he's not 100% sure what is going on . :what:

He will be closely monitored for a few weeks, and fingers crossed he will commence pre training within a few weeks. If it doesn't work out, I will be on the look out for a good permanent home for him.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted of his progress.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Aug 13 2007, 10:33 PM
Good to hear, Kathy.

Have you tried XXX strong mints?
He made me laugh, Colin. He ate all my ordinary polos so I tried to palm him off with one of those low sugar ones. He spat it out. :what:

Here is the handsome chap!

ARTSERIESCAPEGRECOANDBAYHAWK13TH-5.jpg

Bay Hawk runs at Taunton tomorrow with Tom Siddall up. I have to admit, with his leg problems, I am a little nervous.

Birthday Boy, Colin is going to be there and will hopefully be able to calm my nerves. (alcohol normally helps, Col!) :)

Lovely photo, and thanks for the update, Kathy.

Really hope Taunton is good idea, as ground seems to be good-firm accord. to the RP, nur sure that is ideal with his legs ?!

Anyway, all the best, have all fingers crossed.

Good Luck!!

It's raining steadily here now but I would be a little worried about choosing Taunton myself It's liable to be like a skating rink with some rain on it and I hope BAY HAWK traps well, because he'll need all his greyhound ability to cope wit that course.Personally, I loathe it and it's my local!

Fingers crossed it rains for the next few hours, as then it should get into the ground and it will be a much safer option all round.

Good craic people-wise though...

Back