Bet Victor Gold Cup

Did the ground not take anyone else by surprise yesterday ? It reminded me of a few years back when I'd done a load of work for the last day of the Cheltenham Festival had some cracking chances with Antepost bets to make me a right wedge and then the rain came like I'd never seen and I just remember Bryan Cooper I think it was crossing the line in the first with mud slapped all over his face. Ridiculous scenes and possibly the worse days punting I've ever had at the festival.

I had similar thoughts. Placed my bets thinking it would be good to soft at worst and then went out. When I saw the rain teeming down after getting back for the first I knew it would be a disaster. Lucky to scrape a couple of places in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked The New One as a horse but I can't understand all this money for him. He's lumping top weight and I'd like to see something with a low weight go past him.

but I fear London Prize whose been supported today.

I saw him win at Gosforth in the summer, he's a nice type, but I'm just hoping London Prize has an off-day Sunday.
AW he passed away after the race. R.I.P

Did the ground not take anyone else by surprise yesterday ? It reminded me of a few years back when I'd done a load of work for the last day of the Cheltenham Festival had some cracking chances with Antepost bets to make me a right wedge and then the rain came like I'd never seen and I just remember Bryan Cooper I think it was crossing the line in the first with mud slapped all over his face. Ridiculous scenes and possibly the worse days punting I've ever had at the festival.

That sounds like the year Our Conor marmalised the rest of the field in the Triumph :)

Twas indeed and i believe Bobs Worth ploughed through the mud to lift the cup.

Last edited:
That sounds like the year Our Conor marmalised the rest of the field in the Triumph :)

It has been going on for years . 2004 Gold Cup day another - ground was patently soft but the going description did not change .

Looking at the way Le Prezien settles in his races I reckon he could easily be stepped up to three miles. He's one of those horses that relaxes easily, and the extra distance will help his jumping. One race they might consider is the three mile Festival Chase on the Tuesday at Cheltenham. He's unexposed at the trip and could well still be handicapped to win it if they look after his mark.

Not sure I would agree with all of that, Paul.

The reservations I expressed beforehand about Le Prezien's jumping, were not dispelled on Saturday, and on my viewing, far from settling-well, he got behind early because he clattered the first two, and had to work hard to get himself back into the race. That does suggest that he has some stamina reserves, and 3m may well be within his range..........but I'd hesitate to back him in a big-field handicap, until I'd seen some improvement in his fencing technique.

His handicap mark will be shot to bits now anyway, I suspect.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with regards his jumping Nick. He's been pretty poor over his first two or three in both his races this season, and he was possibly worse last season. It looks like a concentration issue, because he seems to warm up quite quickly afterwards. Half a stride slower over further can only help though.

With regards his handicap mark, and a step in trip, I reckon low 150's might still be workable. Let's see what they do to him this week.

I haven't rewatched the Greatwood but from the stands it looked as if once again with Richard Johnson aboard The New One jumped straight and not out to the right all the time as he tends to do with other jockeys in particular Sam TD .

Back