Betfair Hurdle, Newbury, Sat Feb 8

I see they're going to inspect.

The betting is a bit weird to me. If the meeting goes ahead I'll need to take out sickness insurance on both Alaivan and Recession Proof as I've been on both in recent times but the iffy bit is that they were much longer prices for lesser races in the lead up to this.

The bookies are clearly suspicious of long term plots but there are more plots in this race than you'll find in the crime fiction section of the library.

What happens with a/p bets if the meeting is abandoned. Is there something about bets standing if it's postponed a week or something but void if the race is put off indefinitely?

Last edited:
Can it depend on the Bookmaker too? Last year when the X Country was moved from the Tuesday to the Thursday some Bookies let the bet run and others voided it that Day. Same in the Champions League with Galatasary and Juve few weeks back. I think it varies with different Bookmakers.

Think it also depends on the bookie. I remember backing the winner of a race (can't remember which one) which was off but rescheduled a/p and went to collect only to find my bet had been voided. My mate who did the same with another bookie got paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see they're going to inspect.

Clerk of the course R Osgood on Newbury: "It's surprised me how well the course has taken the rain...We were forecast 5mm to 10mm of rain last night but we had 22mm and the course is raceable today."

Unless Newbury gets absolutely lashed out of it tonight I think we'll be good to go!

The Trophy is as competitive as I remember since I've been watching racing. I think Deep Trouble is a good horse, but I've my doubts about the ground for him, that is absolutely key here and I've looked at the form of the race more closely now.

Vasco De Ronceray was second to Far West when they were both 3 year olds, is 7 pounds better off, also about two and a half times the price.
Vasco Du Ronceray has a second to Irish Saint (beaten half a length), to his name from last year - 3 pound better off for that.

He's a pure French bred who will probably appreciate the ground, well... I'll take the chance he does like ground. I feel backing something coming into this race fresh might be wise given how gruelling the race is likely to be. This will be Vasco's first attempt in a handicap. and he'll carry my money. if you fancy Irish Saint or Far West you might want to have a saver on Vasco.

Last edited:
Not relevant to the big hurdle but Nick Luck tweeting they may leave out the ditch in the straight if racing goes ahead.

The Trophy is as competitive as I remember since I've been watching racing. I think Deep Trouble is a good horse, but I've my doubts about the ground for him, that is absolutely key here and I've looked at the form of the race more closely now.

Vasco De Ronceray was second to Far West when they were both 3 year olds, is 7 pounds better off, also about two and a half times the price.
Vasco Du Ronceray has a second to Irish Saint (beaten half a length), to his name from last year - 3 pound better off for that.

He's a pure French bred who will probably appreciate the ground, well... I'll take the chance he does like ground. I feel backing something coming into this race fresh might be wise given how gruelling the race is likely to be. This will be Vasco's first attempt in a handicap. and he'll carry my money. if you fancy Irish Saint or Far West you might want to have a saver on Vasco.
Very good point also he came from a mile back to finish fifth in the triumph last year. I have been waiting for him to run for ages and I do like his price, he looks to hold good value compared to the 2 you mentioned. Dell Arca looks quite good aswell but his price is no good really. Come on the VASCO;)

Another tentative vote for Dell' Arca here. Only 8lb higher for his debut win for the yard, he was still in contention when effectively brought down 3 out in the Ladbroke and the Pipe yard have had 2 winners and 3 seconds from their 5 runners since the turn of the week.

Ground should suit better than most too.

if poet wins there should be a stewards

There probably would be but it wouldn't change the result and ultimately it would be a token gesture.

The horse is utterly lobbed in on its best Flat form and one sage has emailed me to say Cox and Francome could have been plotting this up for some time so i'll need to back it to save being on the receiving end of a tolja email at 4pm.

Dell Arca would probably be more suited to this ground than that of the Greatwood. Has the right age and profile for this, and the current 9/1 probably underestimates him.

Poet is not for me. I dont think hes been plotted at all and just simply hasnt taken to the game.

Fantastic race but im going for cheltinian . Stable comments unusually bullish and thats a very low mark for a champion bumper. I usually like a little more experience in these races but its worth a go

I ended-up backing Smashing in this. Part because he looked like he might be tidily handicapped, but mainly because I couldn't be arsed doing much leg-work.

In truth, it looks impenetrable, and I've not had much of a dash (ante-post bet on Irving tanked).

Back