Big Buck's- Staying Hurdling Arkle

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I think he deserves such a comparison . What an awesome performance on Thursday only just seen it as I have been away.

Has any horse dominated a division of NH racing in such a way since " himself "?

He is an aeroplane (Ruby's words not mine) and deserves to be recognised as one of the greatest hurdlers ever. I for one would have liked to have seen him in the Aintree Hurdle.... Ruby said after cheltenham he thinks he would be quick enough for a champion hurdle. He may end up facing the winner of that race next year and he looks like another worthy contender - Grand Crus is clearly a very good horse as well.

A great horse, but quite disappointed with Andy Stewart - he could have been more sporting in his choice of races for his horse, as opposed to giving him the best chance of remaining unbeaten. The Aintree hurdle was the race for him if connections had been sporting enough.

A great champion but the weakness of the division in general and the absence of a weight carrying performance make the Arkle comparison invalid-in my opinion.
Paddys Return was the highest rated English hurdler after his Long Walk victory-I doubt the value of the form in a lot of long distance hurdles.

On paper he's one of the greats, but I find it difficult to enthuse about him for some reason.

I think as Luke said it's the calibre of opposition - beating the same mediocre horses (Grand Crus excepted) over and over again doesn't do it for me.

If he were mine he'd have a crack at the Champion Hurdle or go chasing, probably the latter.

Big Bucks is excellent. I Like Baracouda though. I can see sort of see why you might want to compare him to Arkle, but I don't think the comparison really means very much.

He's the racing version of Sir Steven Redgrave. He's great for sure but only because others are off doing proper sport.

...a bit unfair, the staying hurdlers are probably better than the two-milers. More of a Michael Johnson than a Steve Redgrave in my book... but again this doesn't mean very much.

Last edited:
Anzum gave me one of my best ever moments in racing.He was my nap of the festival and I told all my gambling friends.I watched the race in a crowded pub -I never took my eyes off him and when he nailed Le Coudray on the line I punched the air celebrating.The man next to me told me with some authority that the horse finished second-presuming everyone was on the favourite.
I really should have won an unnatural amount that day because the other horse I fancied in the run up to the festival was See More Business-unfortunately the day before was St Patricks Day and the drink made me
desert him.A horse called Bellator cost me the price of a half decent house.

Think it's great that we have a star long distance hurdler and not everyone is a gold cup or champion hurdle horse

Last edited:
We have had a run of great 3 mile hurdlers - Baracouda,Iris'sGift,Inglis Drever and now Big Bucks but BB is undoubtedly the best - he was the only one capable of beating Mighty Man at Liverpool where that horse was so good . He has gone unbeaten for three years through 12 consecutive races.

We have had a run of great 3 mile hurdlers - Baracouda,Iris'sGift,Inglis Drever and now Big Bucks but BB is undoubtedly the best - he was the only one capable of beating Mighty Man at Liverpool where that horse was so good . He has gone unbeaten for three years through 12 consecutive races.

He is the BEAST - rumour has it the 666 is just about visible between his ears!!

The bald form is incredible in any class (12 consecutive wins), but at his level and getting into extreme distances - phenomenal. We just don't talk these hurdling fellows up enough, I feel. We concentrate on the chasers, who are always front page, even when they've gone off the boil a bit. I feel that there's still a sense that hurdlers are second rate to chasers - you only have to hear the commentators pawing away at the possibility of them "going chasing eventually", as if that's the be-all and end-all of NH. Hell's teeth, the poor horse can't be a star enough - they still witter on about "what's the chance of him going chasing, then?" Leave him the hell alone!

Considering we haven't had a dual hurdling and chasing champion since Dawn Run, surely people are entitled to wonder?

I for one think it would be great to see him try chasing again - what more does he have to prove over hurdles? I wouldn't run him in the Gold Cup unless he proved he had taken to the bigger obstacles really well - obviously running up a big win sequence in the World Hurdle has it's attractions.

King George potential lineup: Long Run, Master Minded, Big Bucks and Kauto Star for one last go - my god what a choice for Ruby! :)

I think Big Bucks is better than Inglish Drever but worse than Limestone Lad or Barcacouda, I don rate him higher than Iris Gift either.

Fair comment, FU, but I always feel there's a sense that a horse hasn't accomplished enough if he's content with hurdling. I don't recall anyone asking when LIMESTONE LAD, BARACOUDA, or ISTABRAQ were going to tackle the big stuff!

Feck me! That'll teach me to rely on memory! Quite correct, B/j. I thought he'd only tried a couple of novice chases and given up, but having now gone to the RP site (where I should've checked first), I see he ran in a few with much credit.

I suppose it's because he started off as a failed chaser, whereas Iris's Gift [I loved that horse..'Ted'] became a failed chaser. Didn't know Limestone Lad went chasing [loved him as well, and Solerina..they sort of morphed into each other]. I will say one thing about Big Bucks, though; how beautiful is he? [ and very kind looking as well].

He really is a kind-looking horse, isn't he? He looks an absolute gent, as if he wants to please and never gives anyone a moment's concern. You feel he'd be a real schoolmaster if you went out on him.

On the other hand, the picture of DENMAN gurning with his ears flat back in his stable presented an entirely different animal! I have the feeling he wouldn't suffer fools gladly.

Back