Bloodstock 2011

Next time you see a good High Chaparral and think what a good stallion he is, these figures might put things into perspective. I'm not saying he isn't. I'm just using him as an example, you can see what smaller operations are up against.

TOP TEN MOST ACTIVE STALLIONS IN AUSTRALIA IN 2010

High Chaparral 234 Coolmore Australia
Choisir 211 Coolmore Australia
Written Tycoon 197 Eliza Park
Hidden Dragon 196 Lyndhurst Stud Farm
Not A Single Doubt 190 Arrowfield
Fastnet Rock 188 Coolmore Australia
Domesday 162 Darley
Bon Hoffa 160 Bowness Stud
Haradasun 158 Coolmore Australia
Northern Meteor 156 Widden Stud .

Last edited:
Good show. Having received a Christmas card on January 8, I wasn't sure how fast the runners with the cleft sticks were going.

A few updates:

BYRON moves from Dalham to Woodlans, Co. Galway @ E2,500

CENTENNIAL (Dalakhani) stands first season Haras de Hetraie, France, @ E1,500

URBAN POET (Dynaformer) stands as dual-purpose first time sire at Gurteen, Co. Offaly

CIMA DE TRIOMPHE (Galileo) first season Haras de Thenney, Normandy, @ E3,000

HARLAN'S HOLIDAY from Airdrie to WinStar Farm @ $25,000

SPANISH MOON (El Prado) retired to stand at the French National Stud in Le Lion d'Angers

FAIRLY RANSOM (Red Ransom) (Listed in France, Grade 1 placed only in the US), to stand 2011 at Haras du Pley for E1,800

EVASIVE (Elusive Quality) to Haras de Grandcamp, alongside VISION D'ETAT, at a fee of E3,000

BACH bought from Coolmore to stand at Dunraven Stud, near Bridgend

LOOKIN AT LUCKY bought by Coolmore for Ashford Stud, Kentucky @ $35,000

ALFRED NOBEL (Danehill Dancer) retired by Coolmore to Ireland, also shuttling to Australia

TOBOUGG and DOUBLE TRIGGER: relocating from East Burrow Farm, Devon to Clarendon Farm, Tefford, near Salisbury

BANNABY (Dyhim Diamond) retired to owner Luis Morgado's Yeguada Miranda Stud, Spain

GLADIATORUS to Societa Allevamento Besnate, Italy, alongside Breeder's Cup winner POUNCED

HELLVELYN to Roisin Close's Bucklands Farm, Hartpury, Glos @ £2,500

LOPE DE VEGA (Shamardal) to Ballylinch, Co. Kilkenny @ E15,000

WHIPPER from Ballylinch to Haras du Mezeray @ E7,500

MIDSHIPS (Mizzen Mast) to Haras de Saint Arnoult, France, @ E3,000

GLORIA DE CAMPEAO to Alebacks Stutteri, Sweden, before shuttling to Brazil

Not sure how up-to-date we are on stallions' fees for 2011, so forgive any repetitions:

DANEHILL DANCER (Coolmore) E75,000

TALE OF EKATI - new - Darby Dan Farm, Kentucky $15,000

APPROVE (Morristown Lattin) E5,000

SINNDAR (Aga Khan in France) E9,500

SIYOUNI (Aga Khan in France) E7,000

TOBOUGG (now at Clarendon) £2,500

DOUBLE TRIGGER (now at Clarendon) £1,750

KITALPHA (War Horse Place, Ky) $12,500

SAKHEE'S SECRET (Whitsbury Manor) £5,500

AVONBRIDGE (Whitsbury) £3,500

COMPTON PLACE (Whitsbury) £6,000

REFUSE TO BEND (Whitsbury) £4,500

SHOWCASING (Whitsbury) £5,000 (new for 2011)

PASTERNAK (Batsford) £1,250

RECHARGE (Shade Oak) £2,000

ARCHIPENKO (Lanwades) £6,000

SIR PERCY (Lanwades) £6,000

VICTORY NOTE (Dairy House) £1,250

SEPTIEME CIEL (Dairy House) £1,500

CROSSPEACE (Dairy House) £1,000

BAHAMIAN BOUNTY (National Stud) £10,000

COCKNEY REBEL (Nat Stud) £4,500

MYBOYCHARLIE (Nat Stud) £5,000

PASTORAL PURSUITS (Nat Stud) £7,000

PHOENIX REACH (Nat Stud) £2,500

ARABIAN GLEAM (Hedgeholme) £2,000 (new for 2011 with MULLIONMILEANHOUR - no fee stated in ad)

MANDURO (Darley) E15,000

AUTHORIZED (Darley) E15,000

STARSPANGLEDBANNER (Coolmore) E15,000

The following five all from Overbury:

BERTOLINI £3,000

KAYF TARA £5,000

PROCLAMATION £3,000

SAGAMIX £2,500

SCHIAPARELLI £3,000 (new for 2011)

These three all from Wood Farm:

BOLLIN ERIC £1,500

ERHAAB £1,000

LUCARNO £2,000

CAPTAIN GERRARD (Mickley) £3,000

EQUIANO (Newsell Park) £8,000

HAAFHD (Nunnery) £5,000

MAWATHEEQ (Nunnery/Shadwell) £5,000 - new for 2011

MOUNT NELSON (Newsells) £7,000

MULTIPLEX (Mickley) £3,000

SAKHEE (Nunnery/Shadwell) £5,000

WINKER WATSON (Norman Court) £3,000

This pair from Louella: RAINBOW HIGH £800 and DENOUNCE £650 (we're truly down in the bargain basement now, although 'plus VAT'!)

(All the above culled from January/February issues of TB Owner & Breeder mag from the studs' own adverts. No prices put up by Bearstone for FIREBREAK, INDESATCHEL or MAJOR CADEAUX, although Indy was £3,000 last year and £10K in 2007.)

Rainbow High is a right bargain at £800 - his strike rate isn't too shabby for an £800 (previously £700) NH sire with very few youngstock of racing age on the ground. You heard it here first.

Also it might not be very clear in what's printed, Double Trigger and Tobougg are indeed relocating but along with the whole stud, rather than being moved to a different stud outfit. Double Trigger is another steal at £1750, especially when you consider that shite like Pasternak stand for £1250!

Thanks for the clarity on those two, Shadz - it wasn't made clear in the TBO&B, to be honest. There are some very low prices, aren't there? Some have knocked off a grand or two on last year's fees, all are offering the usual SLF or NFNF, etc. etc. where they weren't always doing it before, and one or two have said 'call for the best deals' - not a phrase you'd have seen in an advert in 2006!!

HELLVELYN is on a filly foal, free return basis as well. He now also has PETROVNA as well as SONGSHEET added to his book this year and Roisin is really pleased at the number booked to the horse - around the 45 mark, which bearing in mind he was a very late entrant to the new stallion ranks and missed most of the stallion books, isn't too shabby.

Thanks for the clarity on those two, Shadz - it wasn't made clear in the TBO&B, to be honest. There are some very low prices, aren't there? Some have knocked off a grand or two on last year's fees, all are offering the usual SLF or NFNF, etc. etc. where they weren't always doing it before, and one or two have said 'call for the best deals' - not a phrase you'd have seen in an advert in 2006!!

The whole stud has relocated as they felt that at East Burrow Farm they were just a bit too far out of the way and thought that may put off potential mare owners, so they've moved north east up the A303 to Clarendon Farm near Salisbury hoping that will make them more accessible and thus potentially more attractive to customers. I reckon they should attract a fair bit of business as I believe they stand two good, solid NH sires, both at a fair price.

When it comes to stud fees, if you've a bit of neck and fancy a haggle you won't pay the fees advertised and/or will get a deal done on all the associated costs and charges, like vet fees or board.

Phoenix Reach is an interesting one who may achieve some success in a few years with NH stock. I like him as a racehorse and a stallion and I've seen a lot of his stock, they're nice types although they're all about potential and wouldn't be two year olds. The trouble is that I hear they are very reluctant to let him cover NH mares as they are intent on marketing him as a flat stallion, which is a mistake IMHO.

Rainbow High is a right bargain at £800 - his strike rate isn't too shabby for an £800 (previously £700) NH sire with very few youngstock of racing age on the ground. You heard it here first.

I already have RH 'booked' in my head for my horse. Notice they are not advertising Nomadic Way - has he been retired?

Think this might belong here but Gamut (ex-Stoute) had his first runners in Point-To-Points last weekend over in Ireland. Killiney Castle won at Askeaton whilst the only other runner he had (Another Harbour) was leading when falling a day earlier at Belharbour.

Nah surely it should be Flash the Cash?!

There is a thread on RP about this too - suggested Triomphe D'Stars

So much more fun that the Zenyatta foal thingy :)

Last edited:
Had at least one Flash The Cash - no-one can replace the one and only Flashman, he was a dude.

Last edited:
...and the RP database has cocked up there, putting Flash as having been born in 03. Um, he was running in points in 1991 and the form says that underneath where it says he's a chestnut foaled in '03 - he is [or possibly by now, was] a plain dark bay. Some bugger must've nicked not only his name but his form!!!!!

I have backed it for the Arc already. Took the 5s, surely will go off shorter.

Last edited:
Congrats Sheik. fingers crossed for him to be everything you want !!

Now could everyong please send "fecking come into season properly so you can get covered" vibes to my mare please, as shes really not playing the game and if I dont get her home soon I may well explode....

Back