Bloodstock 2011

I'd imagine he would if he's committing to a deal on the fees. You'll probably have to come to a concensus on a short list at the Sale and than hope you can get one of the ones you like. Have you done your homework on him and is somebody involved near his yard ?

I'd imagine he would if he's committing to a deal on the fees. You'll probably have to come to a concensus on a short list at the Sale and than hope you can get one of the ones you like. Have you done your homework on him and is somebody involved near his yard ?

The syndicate had success with him with another horse a few years ago and what I can figure out is: the syndicate will buy the horse (trainer may have an input into this) the trainer will lease back 50% of the horse by only charging half-price training fees if we go for this option. The horse will be owned and named by the syndicate.

The syndicate had success with him with another horse a few years ago and what I can figure out is: the syndicate will buy the horse (trainer may have an input into this) the trainer will lease back 50% of the horse by only charging half-price training fees if we go for this option. The horse will be owned and named by the syndicate.

Sounds like a winning formula :)

Ok Guys and Girls
I am off to stud with my mare tomorrow!
I am going to use Refuse To Bend
Still time to change my mind though any thoughts appreciated good or bad ?

Last edited:
Good luck - but I still think you should be using TOBOUGG!
I do like Tobougg as you know it was to be at one stage!
but Refuse To Bend is a son of Sadlers wells, plus being a multiple group 1 winner, the - Queen Anne Stakes, Royal Ascot, 8f, Gr.1 the Coral-Eclipse Stakes, Sandown, 10f, Gr.1 2000 guineas, and with his latest filly Sarafina winning her group 1 with ease, and after all he was €20.000 before the credit crunch, I think his progeny are doing better at three y/o

Last edited:
Yes, yes, but I still think.... :lol:

Listen, Orchard, it's your dosh and you spend it as you think fit! When your foal eventually hoses up in a £250,000 race, I'll be the first to tell you that I knew all along that RTB was the right choice! Seriously, whatever, it's all a gamble and the result's never guaranteed, so very best of luck to your mare and her baby in due course. 11 months from now, we'd like to see the piccies, please!

Here is my Helissio (miss glory be) filly as a yearling (now 2y/o Jan foal)
137.jpg

+2 - I'd forgotten about RTB - loved him as a racehorse - think hes a great choice.

I saw Helissio at the Sandley Open Day a few years ago - he was a lovely looking horse. People forget what a good horse he was as he stood in Japan initially. Bit like Pilsudski. I think its such a shame when just because they don't work out in Japan, breeders automatically think they won't over here but by the time they're back they have been written off.

jinnyj
He has had progeny that have won 750+ races in Japan and Australia!
£18 million prize money, group 1 winners, Australian derby Melbourne cup runner up a s/h beaten fav, out of his first UK crop he has had 75% of his runners win, cosmic sun has won at the Royal Ascot meeting.

Look at the little girl's sleepy-time eyes - so sweet. I take it you'll race her yourself, Orchard? Do you have a trainer lined up?

jinnyj
He has had progeny that have won 750+ races in Japan and Australia!
£18 million prize money, group 1 winners, Australian derby Melbourne cup runner up a s/h beaten fav, out of his first UK crop he has had 75% of his runners win, cosmic sun has won at the Royal Ascot meeting.

I know - what I am saying is when horses return from Japan - they don't get the respect they deserve. Its like - Oh they don't want him any more - so we won't bother! I worked for a bloodstock agent years ago who used to buy for the Japs and snobby wasn't the word!

we will break her and get her going
I will use someone close to me, it will probably be between Rod Millman, Stuart Kittow or Chris down.
All near me and friends so I can watch them work if I want to!
although I will need some others to have a leg, as I have the Cockney Rebel colt out of an 80 rated winning mare, that's a 2 y/o aswell,
I've not really put the word out yet but what I'm going to do is offer free keep out if training I still own 100% but just while they are in training the syndicate can choose trainer races etc, obviously receive prize money in execs of training fees. should the value increase then share any profit made, this would not include any costs for syndicate members to outlay for purchase of a horse.

Thanks, OCP - yes, much nicer to have the trainer on the doorstep so you can spend time with your horse as much as you want, and see him/her coming along. Best of luck with the plan, and do let us know how she comes along.

Oh, so that's where she ended up - I wondered who'd got her. Is she still owned by her racing owner, Songs, or someone else now? What's she produced/by which sire, etc., do you know?

Angel sprints has a Royal Applause filly, I think the mare is in foal now
I know the girl who keeps in touch with the daughter who owns the mare after her mother died!

Last edited:
That would be Veronica Halloran - her mother was a sweetie and loved to come and visit ANGEL's dame here at the farm. She wanted to send ANGEL here after the mare finished racing but then Mrs H sadly died and ANGEL remained at Chris Down's, where I know she is doing very well. Colt went through Ascot the other day to get, presumably, a median aution price on - which he did at 500 or so gns, so will race off low weights, at least.

That would be Veronica Halloran - her mother was a sweetie and loved to come and visit ANGEL's dame here at the farm. She wanted to send ANGEL here after the mare finished racing but then Mrs H sadly died and ANGEL remained at Chris Down's, where I know she is doing very well. Colt went through Ascot the other day to get, presumably, a median aution price on - which he did at 500 or so gns, so will race off low weights, at least.
that's the lady my good friend and his wife have desert valentine I think that is the ladies horse aswell!

Last edited:
I remember meeting them both with you, Songy - probably at Goodwood, when Frankie rode her to a place. Might've been a slightly better one if he'd tried a bit harder, too. Always loved seeing mad Alan Daly aboard, rowing away like an Oxford blue!

Back