Bloodstock 2011

Yes, I agree with Krizons summation too. Try it and if it doesn't work out than the only person that gets hurt (financially and maybe the pride a little too) is yourself.
The market won't be long letting you know it's not interested.

BLACK SAM BELLAMY has to be the pick of the form for value for money when comparing his breeding, by Sadler´s Wells and a full brother to Galileo, half brother to Sea The Stars and more!
Just from memory as i dont have time to look up and write it all out, he is out of Urban Sea, i think nearly if not all of her foal's, to date has won group races, i think the mare died foaling the last foal but i wait to be corrected,
For a fee of £3500 at Shade Oak Stud, this is well and truly a bargain considering the fees of his immediate family.
he's already produced some group wnners at least three different horses on the flat, and the N/H hoses also doing very well

Last edited:
Totally agree he is value on pedigree but I personally wasn't a fan of his whereas the other two are two of my all-time favourite racehorses. I always thought he was a huge underachiever (I know he won an Italian G1) and he had a slightly high-head cariage from what I can remember. However there is no getting away from his genes and he has got some reasonable performers under both codes already.

An interesting and well thought out reply, Krizon, thank you. NH breeding is far from my area of expertise butI'm always willing to learn!

Although breeding for the flat, my own Danehill mare is unraced. She'd proven herself by producing a winner before I bought her though so not quite the same as starting with an unraced maiden.

Have a flat gelding out of a Danehill mare - he's as tough as they come - loves his racing and has won €100,000 plus on the track - and despite wanting to retire him last year - he wont hear of it - I love this fella to bits as he gives everything he has on the track and thrives on racing. We are contemplating bringing him back for one more season - he is eight now.

He's huge and needed soft ground. There is better value around with proven stallions..
not wanting any conflict or miss understanding BUT Black Sam Bellamy HAS bred winners at the the top level on the flat and jumps!
If it wasnt for his brothers winning everything and demanding £100k covering fees, he may seem a poor relation at 3.5k,

Black Sam Bellamy did not just win an Italian G1. He won the Tattersalls Gold Cup. Which is no tin-pot G1. Other winners in last twelve years are Fame and Glory, Duke of Marmalade, Notnowcato, Powerscourt, Fantastic Light, Montjeu, Shiva and Daylami.

I don't know what the deal is in the UK as regards the advertised fee and what you actually end up paying but over here at the mo (disaster) you could pick all the stallions you fancy at the 6k point down and ring for a price. You will come in with a price below 3.5k sterling. In that bunch you will find stallions who have produced multiple grp winners on the flat and over jumps. Black Sam is an admirable fella and will suit specific mares nicely and has got nice horses already but in general he can be beaten.

Well, OTB, you've got so many nowadays that are well over 8, still adoring every minute of their racing, so why not. Look at THE TATLING - out again in a few days' time, at the age of 110! Well, 14, really, but while his rating's almost disappeared, Milton (Bradley) says he frets if the box leaves without him in it. And when you see him up close, he could win any Hack Class for looks, clean legs, no lumps and bumps at all. He may well die racing, but while there'd be gallons of tears at his loss, he really would be one of those going doing what he wants to do.

My second hack was an ex-racehorse (in what's now Zambia), South-African bred from excellent stock, including a Durban July Handicap winner. He adored the track! He hated showjumping - was, in fact, very nervous of it, so I soon gave up there. He placed in some Hack Classes and one day I decided to run him at his favourite distance (7f) at what would be a bit like a flapping track at one of the country's Copperbelt towns. He flew the flag start with his excellent African jockey, Labson, on board, led and won by 10l. This was, I think, the second race of the day. There was an invitational at the end of the day, over 6f, and Labson said yes, he can win that, too. So we plonked him in for fun and the dear soul repeated the dose! I think Labson had had a few rather good side bets which kept him in beer money for a month, but what there was no doubting was GLENSIL's (GLEN ALBYN - SILVER BIRCH) sheer adoration of the buzz. He was a total gent to his jockey, but gave up the rails - in the days when you really did scrape paint - to no-one. He was incredibly race smart and came more alive that day than at any other event. His age at the time? 12! So, yes, do keep your boyo going for as long as he wants.

OCP - I don't mind the horse but the head carriage for me was off putting but I suppose the fact that he needed soft ground would account for that. And in theory a soft ground stallion isn't a bad thing for a NH stallion!

At the end of the day we all have our preferences and some of that is down to individual experience. I loathed Groom Dancer with a passion but only because I had ridden a couple of fillies that were proper cows. Likewise I used to feel Kalaglows were very unsound.

One of the nicest 2yos i ever rode was a 2yo from Tobouggs first crop, he was a really decent little speedy thing with scope, sadly went and put his foot in a hole on gallops before he ran....on the back of him my boss went and bought a load more of them at the breezeups and following yearling sales, they were all cheapies (before the multimillionaire owner turned up!!) and most did well at a range of distances and ages

The Betchworth Kid becomes Tobougg's first stakes winner of 2011 today, a pretty useful dual purpose performer.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's seen anything by Sixties Icon. Always thought he was a good looking animal, lovely pedigree and pretty good race record - still winning group races at 5.

Miesque: ah, you do me far too much honour, I'm afraid! I have zero expertise in any area of breeding. Just an interest - I haven't even been in at the birth of a foal yet! Show me colustrum and I'd probably think it was yogurt. My mentor has been Songsheet, through quite a few years of breeding together, plus snippets here and there from other breeders I've met, and a dollop of reading matter! Unlike Venusian, I'm no human encyclopedia of pedigrees and nicks, couldn't tell you off-the-cuff which are and aren't SADLER'S WELLS or outcrosses, or who has a direct line to HYPERION. But horses are a learning experience, all the time, no matter what your interest in them is. Mine is very broad and I enjoy them at all and any levels.

DANEHILL needs no introduction as a superb broodmare sire - he's more than done the business as one of the best in the field and it's great to hear how much people have enjoyed their racehorses competing at all levels of the game - if the horse gives you pleasure doing what you ask him to, then doesn't matter it's Class 1 or 6 - you're paying the bills, so what does it matter?

First win in 2011, albeit a very lowly one, for Bishopswood Bloodstock with NOVABRIDGE in the 2.30 Seller at Folkestone. Still, a win's a win.

Good ole Norbit!

Well, he was so much better than t'others, Songy. Once Mr Fallon requested a little forward movement, he was very willing (didn't need to have his bum striped) and the win was most facile. Or even easy. Brill.

Had an e-mail to say our syndicate are looking into the possibility of buying a 2yo at the Doncaster breeze up sales - they have about £10,000 to spend - I haven't got a clue about this so any advice greatly appreciated before a decision is made on Sunday.

Had an e-mail to say our syndicate are looking into the possibility of buying a 2yo at the Doncaster breeze up sales - they have about £10,000 to spend - I haven't got a clue about this so any advice greatly appreciated before a decision is made on Sunday.

Goresbridge is probably where you should be looking with that budget, you can get a nice one their. 19th-20th May.

Goresbridge is probably where you should be looking with that budget, you can get a nice one their. 19th-20th May.

Forgot to add that a northern trainer has offered to train the horse - 1/2price fees but I think he gets 50% - so he can go for some of the bonuses associated with the Doncaster breeze up sales.

Is this a good deal? Your thoughts appreciated.

syndicate are asking for feedback before Sunday.

Not sure if this is the right place but a couple of years ago Blazing Walker and I attended the Nov Tatts sale and have been keeping an eye out for the horses we selected. (Its a trial for us to think about setting up our own syndicate!)

I hope BW wont mind me saying that his eagle eye picked out the winner of the Tatts Race today in AULD BURNS. I tried to keep up by having my selection DEITY win her debut in the last alas not backed as didnt see it running

Re the Syndicate option SC - how easy is it for you to get to see the horse run if its trained up north? Is the trainer keen on running out of his local area? If I were involved in another syndicate I would want to be able to see my horse run rather than have to watch on TV all the time because its trained too far away?

Last edited:
Ballydoyle makes a good point, having the horse as close as possible will make a big difference to your enjoyment. Half price fees are always good. I presume this trainer will want to pick the horse than ?

Ballydoyle makes a good point, having the horse as close as possible will make a big difference to your enjoyment. Half price fees are always good. I presume this trainer will want to pick the horse than ?

That I don't know Sheikh but the fact a decision has to be made by Sunday it's a strong possibilty.

Back