BLOODSTOCK and BREEDING 2012

V cute,

'Active Apex Sire' does this refer to how a stallions sons are doing at stud does antone know ? Speightstown apparently is 'it'

Apex = Average progeny earnings index as calculated by Bill Oppenheim/TDN. The active sire bit just means a sire that is still at stud. The results vary depending on your selection criteria (i.e. if you look at the ABC Runner Index solely, the overal APEX ratings or ratings filtered by age etc.)

From the Racing Post site:

A YEARLING half-brother to the 2010 Champion Hurdle winner Binocular from the first crop of the iconic stayer Yeats carried all before him when making €100,000 to top the Tattersalls Ireland February National Hunt Sale yesterday.

With his half-brother having amassed three other top flight wins to go with that championship success at Cheltenham two years ago the Yellowford Farm-consigned colt was widely expected to play a starring role at the one day auction.

He entered an expectant auditorium and he certainly delivered on his billing as the bidding for him quickly swept past €50,000. Richard Rohan and Tom Rudd were two that ultimately did battle for the colt and when he brought the price to six figures Rudd was able to carry the day.

“He’s just a lovely sort and I’ve bought him for a very good client,” said Rudd. “He’ll be kept to race now and hopefully he’ll turn out be as good as his half-brother. There’s a lot to like about him and he ticks all the right boxes.”

After producing its highest price for 18 years the sale concluded with a turnover of €873,950 which was up 69 percent on last year. The average of €7,406 was a seven per cent improvement although the median fell by a quarter to €3,750. The clearance rate of 57 percent was a ten per cent improvement on last year.

John O’Byrne picked upa number of other very popular yearlings and the most expensive of these, at €35,000, was a Presenting colt from Rathbarry Stud. He is out of a winning half-sister to Paul Nolan’s Galway Hurdle hero Cloone River.

O’Byrne also paid €33,000 for a son of Presenting belonging to Gareth Metcalfe whose relations include the multiple Grade 2 scorer Sir Oj and he went to €31,000 for a Presenting half-sister to the Cheltenham Festival winner Massini’s Maguire and this is a family that O’Byrne is already quite familiar with.

“The filly is a lovely sort and a half-sister to a very good horse on his day. I actually bought Massini’s Maguire as a young horse before he went into training with Mags Mullins,” stated O’Byrne.

Flemensfirth who is responsible for one of the most exciting novice chasers of the season in Flemenstar, was responsible for a relation to the triple Cheltenham winner Albertas Run who was bought by Phonsie and Ann O’Brien’s Landscape Stud for €32,000.

Earlier Gerry Merrigan spent €30,000 on a Presenting half-brother to the Group 2 scorer Lochbuie while Ian Ferguson, who sent out Zemsky to win at last year’s Cheltenham Festival, was busy trying to source future talent. Ferguson spent €25,000 on a son of Westerner and €20,000 on a colt by the late King’s Theatre.

Several minutes before missing out on the sale topper Richard Rohan was able to secure a well related Presenting colt from Trench Hill Farm for €25,000.Rohan’s purchase is out of a half-sister to the dam of Big Buck’s.

Saw him last year and wasn't overly impressed - might be worth another trip now he's had a chance to mature. Vaguely considering sending her to the US to visit Scat Daddy (assuming she'd get pedigree approved for his book)

ETA: I'd go to Shamardal before Lope De Vega too, but for the price.

What has changed ?

Thanks, Colin - it certainly shows that NH is very much no longer the poor sister to the Flat in producing extremely good sales figures, particularly for young horses.

The bit that says "might be worth another look now he's had a chance to mature" - saw him last week and was impressed with how he'd come one from early last season. He looks a lot more balanced now and definitely moved better.

Was Intense focus still butty ?

Yes , I liked him too, could get a nice athletic type with, as you say, a lanky mare.
Did you look at the other newcomer at Ballyhane ?

Yes , I liked him too, could get a nice athletic type with, as you say, a lanky mare.
Did you look at the other newcomer at Ballyhane ?

Frozen Power? Yes, thought he was overy long and possibly a bit weak through his second thigh. Dishes too. I'd imagine he'll improve physically out of training. His race record is mediocre at best since that German win though which would put me off.

What so you think of TheWayYouAre ?

Frozen Power? Yes, thought he was overy long and possibly a bit weak through his second thigh. Dishes too. I'd imagine he'll improve physically out of training. His race record is mediocre at best since that German win though which would put me off.

What so you think of TheWayYouAre ?

I agree about FP's racing career. I wouldn't have your eye for conformation but I wouldn't be mad on him but my partner liked him.

I've never been to Coolmore would you believe ! kingmambo seems to be struggling for a decent stallion son to continue the line . ThewayYouare is certainly in the right place to make a go of it and obviously his dam side is great.

I heard Refuse to Bend has died in France. I will always remember his win in the Eclipse. RIP

From the RP site ;

FOUR-TIME Group 1 winner Islington produced her sixth foal, a filly by Oasis Dream, at her owner-breeders' Ballymacoll Stud in County Meath on Tuesday.

The new arrival makes itsix out of six live foals produced by Islington who are fillies.

Islington's first foal, London Bid by Rainbow Quest, and second, Isla Canela by Gone West, made it to the track but were unsuccessful in four starts between them.

The mare has waiting in the wings Star Rating, a three-year-old filly by Dansili, and a two-year-old and yearling by the same sire.

She will visit Oasis Dream at Juddmonte's Banstead Manor Stud in Newmarket again this year.

Islington, now 13, is by Sadler's Wells and out of Ballymacoll blue hen Hellenic, who also produced Group 1 winners Greek Dance and Mountain High plus stakes scorers Election Day and New Morning.

Trained by Sir Michael Stoute during her racing career, Islington won six of her 15 starts headlined by consecutive victories in the Yorkshire Oaks, a four-length score in the Nassau Stakes anda neck defeat of L'Ancresse in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita in 2003.

Other new arrivals at Ballymacoll this month include a Dansili filly for Islington's sister La Divina and a Dalakhani colt for Irish Oaks runner-up Scottish Stage.

Blandford Stakes winner Eleanora Duse's first mating will be with superstar German sire Monsun.

More from the RP site:

HERE'S a foal whose future optimum racing trip will be fascinating to see: star sprinter Fleeting Spirit on Saturday produced her first offspring, a filly by Derby hero and exceptional sire Galileo.

Fleeting Spirit, a daughter of Invincible Spirit, was trained by Jeremy Noseda to win five races including the Molecomb and Flying Childers Stakes at two, the Temple Stakes at three and the July Cup - at the expense of the likes of Main Aim, J J The Jet Plane and Paco Boy - at four.

After her racing career Fleeting Spirit was sold privately to join Australian owner-breeder Paul Makin's elite band of eight European-based broodmares based at Mountain View Stud in County Meath.

Fleeting Spirit is set to return to Coolmore to be covered by Galileo this season, along with three other of Makin's mares: Gilt Edge Girl and her dam Tahara, plus Derby hero Authorized's dam Funsie.

Galileo flourished over 1m4f in his own racing career, when he was a brilliant winner of the Epsom and Curragh Derbys and the King George.

However, at stud he has proven more versatile, with champion juveniles such as Maybe and Teofilo, plus top milers including the imperious Frankel featuring on his stud record alongside the expected middle-distance aces and stayers.

Just looking at some American farms yesterday. Spendthrift are running a "Breed Secure" plan.

You pay a $100 security fee to book a breeding. If you sell the resulting foal from a mating as a weanling you get the first $6,000 then they get the advertised stud fee, then you get anything above that. If you choose to sell as a yearling you'll get the first $12,000 then they get the stud fee, then you get anything extra. If you sell the mare in-foal you get the first $10,000, then they get the stud fee and you get any excess.

They also run a programme called "Share the Upside" - when a new stallion comes to stud you can pay a one time fee to secure lifetime breeding rights to that stallion. You agree to send one mare to the stallion in both of his first years at stud on a stands and nurses basis. After that you have free breeding rights to the stallion for as long as his breeding career continues. (Darby Dan are also running this programme)

So...do we think more European farms need to start this kind of programme? (There are of course some studs running a pay after the sales type deal but not quite the same as the Breed Secure plan)

Just looking at some American farms yesterday. Spendthrift are running a "Breed Secure" plan.

You pay a $100 security fee to book a breeding. If you sell the resulting foal from a mating as a weanling you get the first $6,000 then they get the advertised stud fee, then you get anything above that. If you choose to sell as a yearling you'll get the first $12,000 then they get the stud fee, then you get anything extra. If you sell the mare in-foal you get the first $10,000, then they get the stud fee and you get any excess.

They also run a programme called "Share the Upside" - when a new stallion comes to stud you can pay a one time fee to secure lifetime breeding rights to that stallion. You agree to send one mare to the stallion in both of his first years at stud on a stands and nurses basis. After that you have free breeding rights to the stallion for as long as his breeding career continues. (Darby Dan are also running this programme)

So...do we think more European farms need to start this kind of programme? (There are of course some studs running a pay after the sales type deal but not quite the same as the Breed Secure plan)

If European studs did this "Breed Secure" kind of offer we would be in there like a shot. As small time breeders with only 4 mares it would be very appealing and it would de-risk the job substantially. The second programme would probably be for the bigger operators.

Last edited:
If some European studs took this up, they could lose out on any kind of nomiantion fee unless they pitch the secure price very low as a lot of animals don't make back their fee. Also would this still mean the stud would have the say whether the foal/yearling could be sold in a public ring, as that is written into most contracts now, the supposed point to not make the stallion look bad with selling 'poor' stock which goes cheap?

Back