Bloodstock News 2010

Songsheet

At the Start
For those interested in the comings and goings of the breeding side!

I'll kick this off with both firm and tentative plans here....

SONGSHEET is booked to BAHAMIAN BOUNTY (no surprises there - she has a COMPTON PLACE yearling colt and DIAMOND GREEN 2yo colt who, God willing, is being aimed at the Breeze ups in April - sale yet to be decided).

Jury is still out on both BARRANTES (Pants) and OCEANICO DOT COM (Annie) but I'm currently favouring CAPTAIN RIO for Annie and either DIAMOND GREEN or PASTORAL PURSUITS for Pants. Any opinions from anyone on here very welcome for these two - feel free. Annie is an extremely good-looking mare with good bone but she only stands about 15/15.1, although she looks bigger. Pants is bigger, 15.3+, correct body but ewe-necked and slightly roman-nosed.

Powerscourt, Dehere and Lion Heart all likely to be sold to Turkey....piece in the RP today regarding the growing interest of racing/bloodstock in the country.

For those interested in the comings and goings of the breeding side!

I'll kick this off with both firm and tentative plans here....

SONGSHEET is booked to BAHAMIAN BOUNTY (no surprises there - she has a COMPTON PLACE yearling colt and DIAMOND GREEN 2yo colt who, God willing, is being aimed at the Breeze ups in April - sale yet to be decided).

Jury is still out on both BARRANTES (Pants) and OCEANICO DOT COM (Annie) but I'm currently favouring CAPTAIN RIO for Annie and either DIAMOND GREEN or PASTORAL PURSUITS for Pants. Any opinions from anyone on here very welcome for these two - feel free. Annie is an extremely good-looking mare with good bone but she only stands about 15/15.1, although she looks bigger. Pants is bigger, 15.3+, correct body but ewe-necked and slightly roman-nosed.

You must be satisfied with the Diamond Green colt if you are using him again ?

Yes, he really is a nice colt but, to be fair, Songy rarely throws an ugly one! We are at crunch time with BARRANTES now, PLACE THE DUCHESS hasn't exactly covered herself in glory, she has no 3yo (TRADE FAIR colt died as a foal) to run for her, hopefully the ICEMAN filly will be OK but we know her owners aren't particularly interested in racing 2yos anyway, so there's no point commercially in spending a lot on her this time. Being empty, it's easy to send her to Ireland and the vibe is that folk are very pleased with their DIAMOND GREENs - he's a bit of gamble but if they run well, it might pay off!

Annie must go to a 'proven' affordable stallion this time - she has a PROCLAMATION 2yo colt to run for her this year and a yearling TRADE FAIR colt, which is why CAPTAIN RIO appeals for her (& because I get mate's rates!).

Mates rates certainly help. Do you know how many Diamond might have running for him this year. If not I can have a look.

Oi, missus! Enough with the 'ugly' about Pants, already! More wins and a Listed placing - best of the lot on performance. Her ewe neck wasn't passed on to ONE COOL CHICK, though - the ICEMAN filly, who's pleasing everyone at present. Might actually have a goer there. Such a shame the dear young boy died before proving anything. CAPTAIN RIO would seem to be a sensible choice for Annie - good looker, too.

Already had it. Couldn't sort out the format but basically he had 163 foals on the ground in '07 , this years first racing crop.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't know that, Sheikh - thanks! Who knows if they'll be any good but I really hope he makes the grade as a stallion, of course!

I think Fareer will win at least a listed race if out reasonably early which I imagine would be a huge boost.

He's gonna have to lose some weight first - apparently he's the size of a bull (hmmm, wonder if growing up with the Blues had an influence there.. ?). But yes, he should be capable of placing at least and it would be great if he manages that - subject to Ed Dunlop actually going for a Listed, naturally!

I am interested to see how having a Breezer turns out - never had one before and it's a pretty huge gamble...

I added annie in the pedigree query database (I for one could not find her before) so can do hypomating now (LUV IT !!!) - what about Paris House for her? I am serious, and yes, he is still alive. proven, underrated, and well able to throw the odd good one, as we have seen with amour propre last season, and not too expensive .... *blush* - and I suppose you get any rate because you use him ....

Ah, didn't know that, Sheikh - thanks! Who knows if they'll be any good but I really hope he makes the grade as a stallion, of course!

87 of the mares have had winners. 17 of the mares where black type performers themselves. He has a chance. I like his pedigree i'd say they'll be tough.

He's gonna have to lose some weight first - apparently he's the size of a bull (hmmm, wonder if growing up with the Blues had an influence there.. ?). But yes, he should be capable of placing at least and it would be great if he manages that - subject to Ed Dunlop actually going for a Listed, naturally!

I am interested to see how having a Breezer turns out - never had one before and it's a pretty huge gamble...

Did it once turned out pretty well ($) for me but as they're pretty much ready to rock when they're bought they get no time.She placed second in a maiden and would have won after if the trainer had been a little more patient and not ripped the heart out of her on ground she hated.

I have leased Tajjree to a friend in Newmarket who manages a stud and he has a free nomination to Striking Ambition for her. He will keep the progeny himself and stick it in training so it won't be a commercial venture. Both Taj's brothers have won in Japan (their dam died over there having only produced the 3 foals all of which have won). Also Dam is half sis to Lesleys Choice who is now rated 91 and doing some good work on the A/W - be nice if a little bit of black type popped in there sometime.

A friend of mine off a farming forum I frequent has today just picked up and returned home with a very good-looking yearling colt by OASIS DREAM ex an extremely good, well-known racemare. The yearling cracked both front sesamoids as a foal and has been on extended box rest for months, turned away but, after many x-rays and illustrious vet's opinions, the verdict is that he's unraceable. My chum breeds coloured horses in Kent and had asked me if I knew of a good-looking but cheap Tb entire for her mares, as she wants to inject a bit of quality back into her cobs. On mentioning this to my mate, he suggested that possibly this colt would fit the bill, subject to the owners agreeing, as they had now accepted the colt wouldn't make either a racehorse or even riding horse and were thinking about putting him down.

He may not be capable of covering this year, although later this spring he just might get a crack at a couple of steady old mares but how lucky is he? He has a future, the owners were kind enough to give the colt to my chum and all because of a chance remark on a forum! His former owners must have lost well over £100,000 on the potential sale of the colt, even in this market too.

Of course, had the yearling been a filly, then some value would still be in her paddock value...

Songy, does the value of the coloureds go up if the TB cover is by an exceptionally well-bred boyo, like this one? Will your friend be able to sell future offspring for a higher price than just using Joe Bloggs on her mares?

Nope, no difference how well-bred the Tb sire is, really - although obviously the better looking he is, if he passes that on the more the offspring will fetch.

Can you believe it he'd been nicknamed Muffin ?? Have said Heather will have to change that moniker !! Poor colt!

You should think about Strategic Prince i have one booked to him there good looking foals.

Great pedigree and he looks great but he has huge books, if it was a shot to nothing or breed to race I'd give him a go. Any deals going on any of the old boys ?

Interesting suggestion DT, thank you - wonder what happened to the horse in his 3yo year - was he injured or did he not train on ? Mind you, noting who trained him, he probably just got broke...

just wanted to say that, songy --- he was just in the wrong hands ... but you can hardly call him "proven", can you ?

Whats the typical cost (stallion fee excluded) of getting a mare over to Ireland for covering Songsheet?

For me, the transport's about £300 - £350 per mare, plus keep of course, so it's not something I'd do lightly! However, as the mares are empty, it's a good opportunity to use a decent Irish stallion and there's plenty of choice on offer. Speed is important, though, so a decent miler/7f horse would be the best solution.

Thanks for the reminder about TAGULA, Sheikh - love the horse and used him on a WARNING mare a while back we then sold to Italy. Do you know how much he is this year offhand?

SOVIET STAR is a good horse but he just wouldn't be commercial - especially if I ended up with a filly. INTIKHAB & KEY OF LUCK certainly possibles too - thanks.

Back