Bloodstock News 2010

After my three have foaled (hopefully safely) next spring, am retiring both BARRANTES and OCEANICO DOT COM to riding homes - simply no point in carrying on with either.

So many small breeders I know are getting out, and I quit a year ago. It wasn't just the expense with little payback, I began to hate not knowing and not being able to do anything about what was going to happen to the horses we produced. Some got lucky and got their chance with decent owners & trainers and some were hugely unlucky and sunk from view without ever knowing if they had any talent or not. I have a long list of those who met bad fates. I decided that unless I could breed to race myself, which I could not afford, I did not enjoy doing it anymore.

I think it has to happen, but when someone like you stops it makes me really sad as unless some small breeders carry on where is 'the dream'? You've done very well, I mean a Royal Ascot winner from a small broodmare band! I think racing will ultimately suffer as the only breeders left standing are bound to be the big farms, some of them are good, sure, but some of them are just factories with little vision, or so it often seems to me.

Things go through phases, I guess breeding will go right down and then perhaps come back again when things improve. You have to hope.

Ven: Cheveley's brochure contains a page full of interesting facts (which you'll no doubt know, as a researcher into horses' backgrounds) but, if there's anyone who didn't know all this, you now can (and I am one who didn't!):

Several monarchs owned Cheveley Park, including King Athelstan, King Canute, Edward the Confessor, William the Conker, Edwards I and II. Cheveley Castle - the last castle to be built in Cambridgeshire - was built in 1341 by Sir John de Pultenay, who was Mayor of London four times.

Sir Henry Jermyn acquired the estate in 1650 and created the first Cheveley Park mansion, of which there is a painting by Siberecht (1682) in Belvoir Castle.

Cheveley Park became the centre of a great landed estate as a result of the Duke of Somerset's purchases in the 1730s and 40s. Through a marriage settlement, the estate passed through the hands of four Dukes of Rutland, the fifth establishing it as a Thoroughbred centre of note, breeding four Classic winners. He planted the tree-lined avenue called Duchess Drive in memory of his wife.

Henry McCalmont bought the estate in 1892, which at the time covered c. 7,800 acres, encompassing all the land up to the racecourse, which he also owned. He built a large mansion which was completed in 1898, where he entertained such luminaries as Edward VII. The mansion boasted 43 bedrooms and 365 windows. A real tennis court was installed, one of only 43 in the country, but never used. McCalmont also built a railway line up Centre Drive to bring materials up from Newmarket station to construct the mansion. (As you do.)

Many of the stud buildings built by McCalmont are used today, the most important being ISINGLASS's spacious box which is now occupied by PIVOTAL. ISINGLASS was bred by McCalmont, born at the stud in 1890. His record winnings were not surpassed until 1952 by TULYAR. ISINGLASS died in 1911, his skeleton now in the Natural History Museum, London.

The mansion was used as a military hospital in World War I, but subsequently demolished in 1925 as not economically viable. The grandstand of Cheveley Park racecourse is now part of the Newmarket Golf Course buildings.

In July 1942 a German Dornier, having been on a bombing mission over Birmingham, crashed on Duchess Drive, its crew having bailed out over Wood Ditton. There was a POW camp at the stud during World War II. There were around 100 prisoners, mostly German, of whom one returned after the war to marry a local girl.

In 1975 David and Patricia Thompson bought the stud - then in receivership - which had dwindled to 270 acres. They stood their Gimcrack winner MUSIC BOY there in 1977 against industry advice. However, from only 17 foals, MUSIC BOY was leading first season sire, his progeny earning over £2.5 million. There's a lifesize bronze of him outside the stud office. (I've seen this - it's really very attractive.)

The mighty PIVOTAL was bred and born at the stud in 1993, the first foal by his sire POLAR FALCON. In 1996, PIVOTAL won the Group 1 Nunthorpe Stakes - as did his son KYLLACHY in 2002 and his grandson SOLE POWER in 2010.

PARTY POLITICS, owned by Patricia Thompson, won the Grand National in 1992 and spent his retirement at the stud.

ENTREPRENEUR and HAPPY VALENTINE, consigned to Cheveley in 1998, were the joint top lots at the Tattersalls Houghton Sale in 1998, selling for 600,000 guineas each. ENTREPRENEUR went on to win the 2000 Guineas.

At the end of the 2010 season PIVOTAL is the leading European sire by number of individual Stakes winners. His results during his career to date stand at 90 individual Stakes winners, including 18 Group 1 winners. In the same year, the stud comprised just under 1,000 acres, and the team continues to fly the flag for British breeding and racing.

Interesting stuff, Kri.

You may be interested to know (or possibly not) that Henry (Harry) McCalmont who inherited his vast (£4million) fortune from an uncle, was a cousin of both Dermot McCalmont and Atty Persse, respectively owner and trainer of the brilliant racehorse and sire The Tetrarch.

Thanks Kri and Ven, I love history in general and racing history in particular. :)

Because I was very intrested in Isinglass and was researching him I went and looked over the old estate that the stud used to emcompass. You can find the remains of the railway line they built for taking things to the stud. I found bits of it leading from one corner, just off a main road!

The sire of Isinglass, Isonomy was originally buried somewhere in Newmarket but his grave was lost, his gravestone turned up years later and was rescued by the National Horseracing Museum. It now dwells against a wall outside of their cafe. You can no longer read much of the engraving on it but it is a very beautiful marker, old stone, and script.

No, didn't know, Ven, and that's surely worthy of a book on the dynasty (unless there is one) and one on Cheveley, too? I wasn't aware how far back the land's use went in time - quite amazing. Do you know what the McCalmont fortune was based on? God knows what a fortune of £4m then equates to now - about ten times the amount?

I don't think there is a book on either Kri.

As an aside note on racehorses, racing and bloodstock. I was chatting to the owners of the bookstore often seen at Newbury and Cheltenham and they said that they have closed their outlet at Cheltenham because business has been so bad lately, they will only keep the Arkle booksture there. Seems people are no longer buying prints of racehorses (David Dent said the same) nor are they at all interested in the old racing books. The only thing which sells, for five minutes anyway, are the new books.

Shame ...... history is such a massive part of the sport for me, all those wonderful old horses, pedigrees, training grounds, courses, jockeys, lads etc etc ..... and to be honest the old books are so much better written than the new ones.

Death of Septimus after gelding complications

By NancySexton 5:34PM 12 DEC 2010

Septimus, the 13-length winner of the 2008 Irish St Leger, has died due to complications following a gelding operation.
The seven-year-old son of Sadler's Wells stood his first season this year at Castle Hyde Stud under the Coolmore jumps banner but was pulled from stud duty when only three of the 21 mares he covered were tested in foal.

Death of Septimus after gelding complications

By NancySexton 5:34PM 12 DEC 2010

Septimus, the 13-length winner of the 2008 Irish St Leger, has died due to complications following a gelding operation.
The seven-year-old son of Sadler's Wells stood his first season this year at Castle Hyde Stud under the Coolmore jumps banner but was pulled from stud duty when only three of the 21 mares he covered were tested in foal.

Sorry to hear this. An extremely talented but unlucky and fragile horse.

Coolmore have sold Ivan Denisovich & he is off to Chile
Joining him from Juddmonte is fathertime

Sariska to be covered by Galileo

Last edited:
HELLVELYN has bee bought my some folks I know and David Redvers' Stud Manager, Roisin Close, is now standing him at her new farm in Gloucestershire, stud fee £2,500 FFFR.

Which means if you get a filly, you get a free return to the stallion for another try at getting a colt - it doesn't mean you return the filly to the stud, which is what I thought when I first saw it! ("How very accommodating - just send the girlie to the stud if you don't want her!")

Hey, anyone want me to post them the huge Darley Stallions 2010 catalogue, which contains a very interesting Nicks Guide? Lots of pwetty pictures and details of their top boys. If you want it, PM me where you want it sent.

Back