Bloodstock News 2010

Yes, he's at Whitsbury Manor Stud. I think you might get Julie saying that he's by AVERTI, who she knows can throw duds. AVONBRIDGE wasn't one, of course, but AVERTI has chucked out a few donkeys. But Avon's second in line behind DUBAWI in leading first crop sires in GB and Ireland for 2009 with 17 winners, so he's not produced donkeys himself. Nice solid bay and a decent-looking beast. He's got the well-proven sprint ability we were always looking for, rated 123 by Timeform at 5 and 6f. He's bluddy cheap, too, at only £3,500 - maybe even a weeny bit cheaper as she's used COMPTON PLACE from there enough times?! Songy??

Oh, an interesting selection, Sheikh. What's nice is that he wasn't just precocious at 2 (which is always nice if he passes that on - we'd rather hoped that for PTD, but it didn't happen), but that he maintained effectiveness up to the age of 5. BARRANTES had that stayability, too, and it's fairly unusual (and welcome) to get both high-class precocity matched with longevity on the track. No limping off the track for him.

I'm now looking at the blurb about him and noting that he came late in the season to stud, but has already produced HEARTS OF FIRE (Gr 1 in Milan, Gr 3 Germany, plus Listeds) and ELECTRIC FEEL, who's won and placed in Listeds. Not bad!

And cheap! £3,000. It gets better all the time. Better tell Songsheet what your agent's fee is now!

PS: I'm gagging for a cuppa. Been up for ages waiting for a sign from God, or the Clerk, about Lingfield, and got fascinated on here. I'm awa' the noo for a bit but shall return anon! Great thread, this, full of interest.

Last edited:
Only thing about the known fact line is the stallions seem to drop dead of heart attacks shortly after retiring to stud !

If i were you i'd stay away from Avonbridge consider Firebreak as he had a small crop of two year olds last year and done well with them.How much are you considering spending on the covering.Have you given any thought to AUSSIE RULES

Only thing about the known fact line is the stallions seem to drop dead of heart attacks shortly after retiring to stud !

Well WARNING didn't do too bad...

I was lucky enough to meet KNOWN FACT not long after he retired to the then new Juddmonte facility at Wargrave. A surprisingly 'cobby' horse, very strong-looking.

AUSSIE RULES is sure enough a smart horse but his first runners are 2yos this year, and I need a proven stallion for OCEANICO. €6,000 is too much to spend on BARRANTES, even with a deal.

Will be interesting to see will he get the mares at that price.Coolmore bought another Unbridled Song yearling this year for alot of money they must really want one to go to stud

I have leased Tajjree to a friend in Newmarket who manages a stud and he has a free nomination to Striking Ambition for her. He will keep the progeny himself and stick it in training so it won't be a commercial venture. Both Taj's brothers have won in Japan (their dam died over there having only produced the 3 foals all of which have won). Also Dam is half sis to Lesleys Choice who is now rated 91 and doing some good work on the A/W - be nice if a little bit of black type popped in there sometime.

Nice to hear :) Let us know what she has

PIPEDREAMER, the dual Group 2 scorer and winner of the 2007 Cambridgeshire for trainer John Gosden, has run his last race and connections are mulling a couple of stud offers from abroad

If i were you i'd stay away from Avonbridge consider Firebreak as he had a small crop of two year olds last year and done well with them.How much are you considering spending on the covering.Have you given any thought to AUSSIE RULES

we had an Aussie Rules to break and she was a dream, hopefully she'll quite an early sort.

He's well behaved himself.I just like that it's a way to get into such a lovely pedigree without buying a filly from that line for a few million:)

she was great, nice pedigree herself from meon valley line. one of her first times on the road was in a gale, hope she does well.

He's good value now having started at €15000 and now at €6000 but he has his hardest year ahead of him

What are the odds... ? Two homebreds in the same race - 4.45 at Kempton on Wednesday - BLACK DRAFT and PLACE THE DUCHESS. If they get there, of course. Only a lowly Class 7 but a coincidence nevertheless..

It's happened before in fact, both BLACK DRAFT and ANGEL SPRINTS made their debuts in the same maiden 2yo race at Salisbury six years ago. She's since retired to the paddocks, 90 rated and has a foal by ROYAL APPLAUSE on the ground apparently and is back in foal but don't know who to. Or to whom ? Wha'evva...

Bearing in mind I'd only have three of four foals a year, mind!

Great - was wondering when Nicks was out next, having sat in to watch CARNIVAL DREAM at Wolverhampton in the 1.30 today, and found she's not going! Alastair's just had his first double, so let's hope Nicks can provide him with another good result - the yard really has shown some early speed this year!

Looking at the Return of Mares for 2009 – interesting to see so many Coolmore mares having gone to Dansili….

All My Loving – colt
Damson – colt
Imperial Beauty – colt
Love Me True – barren
Maryinski – filly
Myth – Barren
Queen Cleopatra – filly
Race For The Stars – filly
Ramruma – barren
Silk And Scarlet – filly
Virginia Waters – filly

Then the 2009 coverings

Alexandrova
All Too Beautiful
Because
Hold Me Love Me
Listen
Moonstone

Now perhaps a lot of these mares have been sold on but it is interesting to see these type of mares go to him.

The fact they bought Strategic Prince in would suggest it's a thread of the Danehill line they want to get into. I see from your post Ramruma went to him. She is a full sis to the dam of strategic Prince. It's a pity she was barren.

Last edited:
Last track I have on her is a 2009 filly by Kingmambo. Cannot see anything else yet so imagine it is because she has been covered by an American stallion again.

Looking at the Return of Mares for 2009 – interesting to see so many Coolmore mares having gone to Dansili….

All My Loving – colt
Damson – colt
Imperial Beauty – colt
Love Me True – barren
Maryinski – filly
Myth – Barren
Queen Cleopatra – filly
Race For The Stars – filly
Ramruma – barren
Silk And Scarlet – filly
Virginia Waters – filly

Then the 2009 coverings

Alexandrova
All Too Beautiful
Because
Hold Me Love Me
Listen
Moonstone

Now perhaps a lot of these mares have been sold on but it is interesting to see these type of mares go to him.

Why would Coolmore sell those mares? Wouldn't make much sense surely

Back