Bloodstock News 2010

For me, the transport's about £300 - £350 per mare, plus keep of course, so it's not something I'd do lightly! However, as the mares are empty, it's a good opportunity to use a decent Irish stallion and there's plenty of choice on offer. Speed is important, though, so a decent miler/7f horse would be the best solution.

Thanks for the reminder about TAGULA, Sheikh - love the horse and used him on a WARNING mare a while back we then sold to Italy. Do you know how much he is this year offhand?

SOVIET STAR is a good horse but he just wouldn't be commercial - especially if I ended up with a filly. INTIKHAB & KEY OF LUCK certainly possibles too - thanks.

According to ITM €4k, I may be calling them soonish. I'll let you know how I get on if your not on to them before me. I heard Intikhab can throw a good few crooked ones but he does get race horses ! Key of Luck is a fair possibility.

It's not just the covering fee/transport of course - it's the keep charges on top of that too.. If I use a UK based stallion, I can usually walk them in from here and, of course, they qualify me for breeders prizes should the offspring be successful, all of which help keep costs down.

Well i got Strategic Prince on the cheap a small bit.I have one booked to Aussie Rules as he has a pedigree to die for he won two Group 1s over a mile and they sold alright this year and if you get a filly you could keep her as i see him being a good broodmare sire IN TIME.There is also Alhaarth he was a top two year old has been a good sire.Another horse who has a big year ahead of him is Iffraaj theres alot of talk about his stock

According to ITM €4k, I may be calling them soonish. I'll let you know how I get on if your not on to them before me. I heard Intikhab can throw a good few crooked ones but he does get race horses ! Key of Luck is a fair possibility.

We pin hooked an Intikhab as companion to a colt we foaled and he was indeed crooked. Really strong and nice though, beautiful head and shoulders and turned out very decent indeed. Got sold to Hong Kong for some serious money after winning in Ireland.

We pin hooked an Intikhab as companion to a colt we foaled and he was indeed crooked. Really strong and nice though, beautiful head and shoulders and turned out very decent indeed. Got sold to Hong Kong for some serious money after winning in Ireland.

Could you tell that it wouldn't affect his ability to run, was it good fortune or a bit of both ?

good fortune I suppose! The beauty of having horses is that some are deemed useless even by ever so shrewd connections, and the horse does overcome the severest of confirmations faults etc anyway. after all, while its important that horses are healthy, it seems to me its even more important - or at least as important as- that they have to right attitude for the job, and bob can still be your uncle :)

Initiative by Brightwells and Ascot to hold a post-racing auction of HiTs - 2 y.o. and up - on Festival Friday, 25 September, accessed from the Bustino lawns. Entries for the catalogue are now open and it's to be called the Select Festival sale. Time to dust off your For Sale signs, or check your bank balances for an early Christmas prezzie to yourself!

By Richard Griffiths 10:32AM 6 JAN 2010
PROJECTED figures for 2010 are showing a further fall in mare and foal numbers - sparking concerns that the bloodstock population may be declining in too dramatic a manner.
While fears about overproduction in the breeding world appear to be receding, Weatherbys' Head Of Stud Book Operations Paul Greeves yesterday spoke of the "real concern" posed by the figures produced by his company.
The number of British-based mares that either died or retired increased by 66 per cent from 2007 to 2009

The number of active broodmares registered in Ireland has fallen by nearly 10 per cent between 2007 and 2009, from 20,700 to 18,750. Mares registered in Britain, which traditionally has a much smaller numerical breeding industry, have fallen by 5.4 per cent over the same period to 10,500.
Much greater changes have occurred in the number of mares being taken out of stud duties, which in Ireland has increased by 150 per cent in two years, from 1,200 in 2007 to 3,000 in 2009. The number of British registered mares that either died or were retired from stud has increased by 66 per cent from 750 in 2007 to 1,250 in 2009.
Conversely, the number of new Irish mare registrations has dropped by 41per cent from 2,700 in 2007 to 1,600 last year. New British registrations fell from 1,500 to 1,200 over the same period.
Based on sires' covering information received last year, Weatherbys estimate an Irish 2010 foal crop of 8,750 - down by 30.5 per cent since 2007. British foal numbers are forecast to fall from 5,840 in 2007 to 5,100 this year, a decline of 13 per cent.
Uncertainty over the health of the sales market - after significant declines in trade in 2008 - appears to have prompted many breeders to stop using commercially unattractive mares.
But according to Greeves, this presents British and Irish studs facing a "double whammy" of reduced income from stallion fees and also boarding charges for mares and foals.
He added: "We have gone from an era where overproduction was a real concern to one where foal and mare numbers have gone in completely the opposite direction. That does raise some concerns," said Greeves. "The decline has been so dramatic that it needs to be monitored very closely. In comparison to previous recessions such as the early 1990s and 1970s it has been much sharper this time.
"Whether what we are seeing is a healthy correction or a decline of real concern is an interesting topic for debate. The impact of what we are seeing will only really be known when this year's foals and next year's reach the commercial market place, and even after that when it will become clear whether the horse population can meet the requirements of the racecourse."

I read this too and to be honest, could hardly believe it! There they all were, three years ago, going on and on about over-production in both Ireland & the UK and now they're bitchin' on because folk listened and worked out for themselves that the economic downturn meant trouble for anyone supplying a dispensable luxury such as racehorses....

There are quite a number of us who can remember the last time bloodstock values plummeted, thanks !

It was oh-so obvious that this would happen, and the next Big Whinge will be the paucity of 2 y.o.'s for 2011. Halloooo? Anyone out there? You'd think that any of this came as a big fat surprise!

well, as ususal its a matter how news are presented and how the press deals with it, in this case a very limited press as well. after all the real concern here may be animal welfare, but if you chose the approach any topic fron another angle, this is what comes out. paper dont blush, after all.

Strategic Prince covered "only" 63 mares last year from 146 the previous one.
I would seriously consider Iffraaj for Barrantes. He seems to fit physicly and it´s a good cross as well. His progeny sold very well last year and it would be much more commercial than KOL or Intikhab from almost the same covering fee. He might not be what you are looking for ( Proven based in England sire ), but I like his chances as a profitable sire this year.

I read this too and to be honest, could hardly believe it! There they all were, three years ago, going on and on about over-production in both Ireland & the UK and now they're bitchin' on because folk listened and worked out for themselves that the economic downturn meant trouble for anyone supplying a dispensable luxury such as racehorses....

There are quite a number of us who can remember the last time bloodstock values plummeted, thanks !

yes, f'n unbelievable.....

I think for someone trying to get a foot on the ladder this is a great time to breed.

Last edited:
Strategic Prince covered "only" 63 mares last year from 146 the previous one.
I would seriously consider Iffraaj for Barrantes. He seems to fit physicly and it´s a good cross as well. His progeny sold very well last year and it would be much more commercial than KOL or Intikhab from almost the same covering fee. He might not be what you are looking for ( Proven based in England sire ), but I like his chances as a profitable sire this year.

As I said I like Strategic Prince as I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt as to why he didn't train on due to where he was trained however it is a punt....albeit a tempting one.
If he doesn't have a top horse in his first or second crop when Barrantes has her foal in 2011 with the no.s of foals SP has had people could be sick of the sight of them. As far as I can see Barrantes has not produced a winner yet. So is one of these new stallions going to set her apart fromthe crowd ? Why go with an unproven sire when some of the older stallions have produced top horses already. People/buyers never forget the good ones. Also the smaller books they get these days mean your not contending with a hundred others at the Sales.

Sheikh, in fairness to BARRANTES, she's only got one offspring in training! PLACE THE DUCHESS (by COMPTON PLACE, who's definitely proven).

Her colt foal by TRADE FAIR broke a hock at 7 weeks and was destroyed. Her filly by ICEMAN is now only a yearling and while being ridden by John Bridger, won't be out until late this year or even 2011. She's empty this year but has a colt foal by COMPTON PLACE again.

Sheikh, in fairness to BARRANTES, she's only got one offspring in training! PLACE THE DUCHESS (by COMPTON PLACE, who's definitely proven).

Her colt foal by TRADE FAIR broke a hock at 7 weeks and was destroyed. Her filly by ICEMAN is now only a yearling and while being ridden by John Bridger, won't be out until late this year or even 2011. She's empty this year but has a colt foal by COMPTON PLACE again.

I certainly wasn't dis'n your mare Kri, just trying to look at it from a buyers perspective.

Well, that's kinda what Julie and I were trying to do, too! I don't mind ya dissin' me lady, bro, if it be true, den dat's what it be.

Well, I'm out of BARRANTES now, Sheikh. My half of her (the pretty bit - her backside) is now owned by a very good friend of Julie's, so I guess they'll be looking at where to send her. I once favoured TOBOUGG for her, personally, but we didn't go there, we went to ICEMAN, who sadly died a few days before the foal sale. This had a very negative effect as he was a new sire (Cheveley Park) and it wasn't until this year that we offloaded her as a yearling with John Bridger for the Finch family. She's officially now named ONE COOL CHICK. ICEMAN donated his excellent conformation and good looks, thank God, and they're all very pleased with her. She was always a confident youngster, inquisitive and quite bold, and she's now under saddle and pleasing them with her action and attitude. Fingers crossed that she'll win for them!

When Julie invited me to go through the stallions catalogue in search of a middle-range (pricewise) sprint sire, what interested me was how few were (then) based in England. Plenty over in Ireland, but a bit thin on the ground here for the price we were then considering, which was up to £10K.

Well, I'm out of BARRANTES now, Sheikh. My half of her (the pretty bit - her backside) is now owned by a very good friend of Julie's, so I guess they'll be looking at where to send her. I once favoured TOBOUGG for her, personally, but we didn't go there, we went to ICEMAN, who sadly died a few days before the foal sale. This had a very negative effect as he was a new sire (Cheveley Park) and it wasn't until this year that we offloaded her as a yearling with John Bridger for the Finch family. She's officially now named ONE COOL CHICK. ICEMAN donated his excellent conformation and good looks, thank God, and they're all very pleased with her. She was always a confident youngster, inquisitive and quite bold, and she's now under saddle and pleasing them with her action and attitude. Fingers crossed that she'll win for them!

When Julie invited me to go through the stallions catalogue in search of a middle-range (pricewise) sprint sire, what interested me was how few were (then) based in England. Plenty over in Ireland, but a bit thin on the ground here for the price we were then considering, which was up to £10K.

Far away pastures eh !! Most of them over here are Danzig Line. I always think the U.K has a better selection of bloodlines. Namid (recent grp 1 producer)was over here but has gone to France. I like the look of Avonbridge progress in Whitsbury manor stud (?)

Back