Bloodstock News 2010

They shared Ad Valorem with Darley (who inherited their share when they purchased Woodlands Stud in Australia), I wonder did they they sell out their share to Darley, or to a third party. Ivan Denisovich also appears to be gone.

Re : Starspangledbanner

I thought 20K first but foal no.s are dropping like an anchor. Stallion fees have been dropping for the last couple of years. The foal sales are coming and that could be horrific. I don't think Holy Roman bombing will have helped either. On top of that I don't think most people will consider him a cheap potential classic sire like High Chap or footsteps.

I've talked myself into 15k.

I'm pretty sure there was 50 quid going for this in a competition.
My charity is the sheikh benevolent fund I have pm'd my details :ninja:

Just going through Galileo’s coverings this season – what a book! Rags To Riches, Six Perfections, Egyptian Queen, Halfway To Heaven, Jude, Kasora, Luas Line, Ouija Board, Ramruma, etc etc etc. The mind boggles.

High Chaparral the only sire to have a fee increase from
€10,000 in 2009,
€15,000 in 2010
€25,000 in 2011.

So You Think could be a big boost for the sire if he does equally well in Europe in 2011.

All other sires taking a drop due to the economic situation.

Holy Roman Emperor taking a significant drop from € 25k in 2009 to €10K in 2011.

Yeats covered Feathard Lady, Gemini Lucy, Like A Butterfly and some decent flat mares. Will need to get a decent flat performer quickly to stay on the flat roster. Septimus must have had some problems - only 22 coverings and many were double covered.

So a three parts sibling to High Chap on the way ...very interesting,

I'm sure Yeats will do the business given some speedy mares.

Last edited:
Galileo, I think you are looking at the Return of Mares 2010? How do you get your hands on this? Is there an online version you can purchase, or is it only available to purchase as a book? And from where?

Galileo, I think you are looking at the Return of Mares 2010? How do you get your hands on this? Is there an online version you can purchase, or is it only available to purchase as a book? And from where?

Purchased from Weatherbys...not sure if there is an online one.

Thanks for those, Gal. I wonder what those two were before the present published fees?

Before going private Danehill Dancer's fee was 115,000 euros and Montjeu's fee was 125,000 euros both in 2008.

I wonder how much Galileo's fee is ?

Coolmore have bought and retired Lookin At Lucky. They are on a buying spree on three continents this year, Canford Cliffs, So You Think and now Lookin At Lucky.

After my three have foaled (hopefully safely) next spring, am retiring both BARRANTES and OCEANICO DOT COM to riding homes - simply no point in carrying on with either. Depending on when/how she foals, we may try SONGSHEET once more and if she foals us a filly next year, will probably keep her and lease if she looks promising. So that will be me right down on broodmares!!

Coolmore have bought and retired Lookin At Lucky. They are on a buying spree on three continents this year, Canford Cliffs, So You Think and now Lookin At Lucky.

They must have spent the best part of $ 100m for those three colts. I was hoping Lookin at Lucky would have ran as a four year old. All the good older horses and the best three year olds in the States have all been retired to stud making the older division a weak one in 2011.

Lookin At Lucky to stand for $ 35K .. 5K more than Eskendereya who is arguably the best three year old in the USA this year.

Received Cheveley Park's 2011 brochure this morning:

PIVOTAL - still kept to the low, low price of £55,000

DUTCH ART - £5,000

KYLLACHY - £8,000

MEDICEAN - £12,000

VIRTUAL - £4,000

All live foal free returns by 1st October.

Inside the brochure was a very moving appeal to join the organ donor service, from Chris Richardson, MD of Cheveley, and his family. Their son Alex, a 21 y.o. student at St Andrews and already with a firm plan for life ahead running a hotel in Costa Rica, where he'd spent a gap year with a local family, was killed in an accident while at uni. The family said they realised what he'd want them to do, even as they waited anxiously at his hospital bedside. The result is that Alex's organs gave the gift of life to four people. The family appeals for everyone to join the register: http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/alex or text ALEX to 84118. I've been on it for years and am surprised it still takes over-60s like me, but anything usable can help someone, somewhere.

Thank you for putting that up, Kri. I didn't know Alex but I was good friends with his aunt, Helen, when I worked with her until we lost touch. They were an incredibly close family and this must have devastated them so it is nice to hear that some good has come out of such a tragic episode.

The first mare to be offered for sale in foal to Sea the Stars has just made a whopping £950K.

Soinlovewithyou is by Sadlers Wells & is a half-sister to Duke Of Marmalade (- you'll be pleased to hear Kri that she did win a race!)

£950K! That'll buy a whole lotta horsenuts! Fanflippingtastic. Who bought, j/j?

I think PIVOTAL's a bit steep, too, although he's come down from a high of £85,000. But he is continuing to bang in some good results with his new stock, such as REBECCA ROLFE winning the Listed Gran Premio di Citta di Napoli, in, er, Naples; PRESCRIPTION taking the Listed Kilvington Fillies' Stakes at Nottingham, the filly ENTANGLE winning three Stakes races in 2010 including the Listed Matchmaker Stakes (at Taby). In fact, his daughters seem to do very well!

And on that subject, did you know that PIVOTAL's spacious box was once inhabited by ISINGLASS, born at the stud in 1890 and with winnings unsurpassed until 1952, by TULYAR? ISINGLASS died in 1911 and his skeleton is in the Natural History Museum in London.

I would imagine that Pivotal's contribution to the breed will be more benign than that of Isinglass, a much better racehorse but cursed with wretched forelegs, which he frequently passed on to his offspring and beyond.

Of course, neither can hold any sort of candle to the mightiest Cheveley Park stallion of them all, Phalaris, although he only stood there for a few seasons.

My favourite, although of course I was not around when he was, sadly. I have held his skeleton though! It's a weird sensation. It's closed to the public, you have to make an appointment to see it but a small room full of some reticulated racehorse skeletons and some in a massive wooden dresser in drawers and small boxes. I did some research for Cheveley Park Stud who were trying to find out where Isinglass was buried, as he had once been buried there and was dug up and given to the museum when his owner moved.

Seems ghoulish but at the time it was quite fashionable to donate your racehorse to them, and people flocked to see them. Today no one cares at all and they have not been on display for ages and never will be.

The box Isinglass had built for him is wonderful, like a small house. There is a window inside which opens onto a room where his groom slept so that they were always together.

Back