Bloodstock News 2010

Love To Dance is an ex-Ballydoyle horse, a half-sister to Dylan Thomas. I see two others, Soinlovewithyou and Tamarind, also in foal to Sea The Stars, are entered in the Tattersalls Mares Sale. I'm a little surprised, I didn't think Coolmore would support Sea The Stars, who would be seen as a potential competitor to Galileo. None of the mares, though very well-related, were leading lights, perhaps Coolmore see an opportunity to make a quick buck.

Some interesting breeding figures in the RP today - High Chaparral (217) the busiest stallion in GB & Ireland while Yeats managed to get 171 just behind another of Coolmore's other first season sire Mastercraftsman.

Galileo is down around 20 coverings, Dubawi and Shamardal are not surprisingly both up. Bushranger had the most for a first season sire on 188 with Sea The Stars covering 144.

On the NH side Scorpion covered 277 mares!

Look forward to going through the Return Of Mares when I get it.

Why would they accept such a useless mare for such a top stallion? We've talked our heads off about the need for stallion masters to use discretion so that rubbish mares aren't presented and accepted just to take the cover fee. And now here comes one that failed at the job. She may be well bred, but that's a bit like saying Lord or Lady So-and-So are beautifully bred, descended from Henry VIII, but are thick and can't hold down a paid job. You want that breeding to do what it's supposed to do, aren't you? Which is to win races. Otherwise, you might just as well send him a well-bred hack to cover.

The figures look as if anything is being sent - I'd love to know how many of those mares won decent races, with the caveat that good breeding would excuse an unraced one.

Last edited:
I followed Sequoyah's lead on this, very lazily without any checking, Bar, so assumed 'not a leading light' meant no wins of significance. Which it apparently does. 3rd in a Group 3 gets her in, then, but I was hoping to hear that he'd got a select and limited book of no more than 80, bearing in mind we'd be pushing to find top-drawer mares with that. I don't understand what the problem with holding to select books is - the connections aren't exactly skint, so you could control numbers without facing the poorhouse.

Once again, we have it all ways - one minute, horses are being abandoned and left to starve to death in Ireland, due to overproduction; in the UK, the doors to the horse charities are bolted shut. Regular calls to cull old and poor mares abound, sales have seen foals, yearlings and even 2 y.o.'s go home - or somewhere - unsold, and then we see new stallions launched with feckin' hundreds of covers. There is absolutely no cohesion of intent whatsoever and it's extremely disappointing to see such rampant kerchinging.

I don't want to hear about stallion owners' rights to make as much money as mares' owners will pay, I really, really don't.

Last edited:
Super! Just what we need - more junk in the system. Jesus, one of the mares I had with Songsheet got a 3rd in a Listed and had a load of handicap wins and places. I see where we went wrong now. We kept to sensibly-priced middle-of-the-range stallions which we felt didn't over-cover her. We should've got the Derby winner instead - bit more of an outlay, but obviously they take anything that can waddle in on four legs.

Last edited:
She was rated 102. She's a half sister to Queens logic and Dylan Thomas.
I would send her to the best stallion I coulds get.

Yes, she is very well bred, and by putting her in foal to Sea The Stars, they are able to sell her for over $1m, and replace her with a multiple Grade 1 winning mare at Keeneland yesterday for not a lot more money. While they still have a much better performing half-sister Remember When at home. I just think it is quite shrewd of them.

Timeform, OHR and RPR above 100 and black type.

Yes please, with that breeding.

She was disappointing on the track given her breeding, but she showed an okay level of form, so she is not useless and is fully entitled to her place on Sea the Star's lap.

I should also have said that the multiple Grade 1 winning mare also sired this year's Belmont Stakes winner Drosselmeyer and will visit Galileo in 2011. Not a bad trade for Love To Dance.

I don't know how to keep saying this without falling into a coma: the job of racehorses is to race and win. If they can't do that, they should be moved to something they can do. Fine, if racing is a hobby you can afford and you really don't care about results. But if you're breeding for results, you breed from winning mares, not placed mares, not mares whose performance does not stack up with their breeding. There are thousands of mares with great parentage who have done sweet FA, but by God, don't let that stand in the way of reproducing from them.

If your horse is 'disappointing on the track' what makes you think the offspring is going to be miraculously wonderful? And SEA THE STARS is yet to be proven as a sire, too, so surely wait to see if he can transfer his talent. There's nothing to say he can yet, but at least back him up with mares that indicate their race fees weren't a waste of money. Oh, bar a place in one Group 3. I'm underwhelmed.

Another Coolmore filly, Dreamtheimpossible (Giant's Causeway - Spain), who was third in the Fillies Mile and never raced beyond 2 years, in foal to Galileo, just fetched $2.55m.

Another ex-Coolmore again - 4yo Heart Shaped in foal to A.P.Indy sold for $1.55 million. If memory serves me right she was 2nd in the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf in 2008.

Darley fees released...

Darley stallion fees, 2011

Dalham Hall Stud
Dubawi£55,000
New Approach£22,500
Authorized£15,000
Exceed And Excel£12,000
Halling£10,000
Shirocco£10,000
Kheleyf£4,000

Kildangan Stud
Shamardal€50,000
Cape Cross€ 35,000
Raven's Pass€ 22,500
Iffraaj€15,000
Manduro€ 15,000
Teofilo€ 15,000
NEW Vale Of York€5,000
Echo Of Light€ 3,000

Haras du Logis

King's Best€ 15,000
Slickly€ 7,000
Librettist€ 6,000
NEW Alexandros€4,000
Country Reel€ 4,000
Layman€ 4,000
Creachadoir€ 3,000

The Royal Studs
Royal Applause£9,000
Terms: Oct 1, Special live foal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo
Imagine has the two year old Guessing this year, had another Kingmambo in 2009 and has a Giants Causeway foal colt in 2010.

Kitty Matcham has a 2010 Pivotal colt foal in 2010.

Also Peeping Fawn has a Galileo colt foal.

Thanks for this, you're a star.

Can't wait for Peeping Fawn's progeny to hit the track.

Keeping you up to date Imagine - Guessing has returned to Coolmore so unlikely to get to the track by the looks of things.

Thank you, I had a feeling she'd perhaps not be seen until next year (or maybe at all) when there was no sign of her appearing anywhere.

Last edited:
Some interesting fees (not least that Montjeu and Danehill Dancer are no longer private), also appears Ad Valorem is gone?

The 2011 fees are as follows.
Alfred Nobel: €5,000 (New)
Aussie Rules: €6,000
Choisir: €12,500
Danehill Dancer: €75,000
Duke Of Marmalade: €25,000
Dylan Thomas: €17,500
Excellent Art: €10,000
Fastnet Rock: €30,000
Footstepsinthesand: €10,000
Galileo: Private
High Chaparral: €25,000