Books To Recommend ?

Reading Naked in Baghdad, which is basically the Anne Garrels'- NPR's (National Public Radio in the States) correspondent in Baghdad - memoir of her experience in Baghdad during the lead-up to and start of the Iraq war.

Fascinating read by one of, if not the best journalist I have ever come across.

might look at that Trackside

working my way through the much hyped Team of Rivals at the moment. And it is a superb account of Lincolns presidency ableit with alittle bit more information about the wifes and families of the main characters than you really want to know. but the author masters the wealth of detail excpetionally well

Wot's it all abaht, j/j?

Here's a good review from Amazon - explains it far better than me!

"The Shadow of the Wind is a novel about books; about the love of books and of stories, (and is far more accessible than Eco's The Name of the Rose). It is absolutely full of stories itself, with not a single character without one. Not all, of course, are told. For this is the story of Daniel Sempere, a young Spanish boy, growing up in Barcelona just after the end of the Civil War.

One day, ten-year-old is taken by his father, a bookseller, to the "Cemetery Of Forgotten Books", a hidden library where forgotten titles are lovingly preserved on a labyrinth of shelves. Daniel is told that he must keep this place a secret, but that he's allowed to take one book - any book - from the shelves, and protect it for life. He selects "The Shadow of the Wind" by Julian Carax. That night he reads the book and is spellbound from the first page.
Daniel then vows to seek out the rest of Carax's titles, but none can be found. Carax himself also remains a mystery. No one knows anything much about him, save for rumours that he disappeared following a duel in Paris's Pere Lachaise cemetery. Carax's only legacy is a mysterious figure who haunts the streets of Barcelona, who has been tracking down every last one of Carax's novels in order to burn them. Why would anyone want to remove all trace of the author's work? The mysterious man approaches Daniel, who refuses to give him the copy of The Shadow of the Wind - which he then hides back in the Cemetery of Forgotten books. As Daniel grows up he begins to investigate the history of Julian Carax, to discover the truth of his life and death. It's a quest that will bring him, and his friends, into grave danger.
It's a marvellous book, a wonderful, wonderful experience. It resonates with the love of books and of literature. It's also a very hard novel to pin down - it has elements of absolutely everything, a historical adventure story, a crime novel, hints of the supernatural, as well as a very tense thriller and an enchanting love story. It's superb, and every page a joy. There's magic, here, on every page. It's indefinable, but in lies in such lines as this: "He hardly slept, he explained, and would set himself up in the sitting room on a folding bed lent to him by his neighbour, Monsieur Darcieu - an old conjuror who read young ladies' palms in exchange for a kiss."
You can tell from even a brief synopsis that this is just a special, unique novel. It's full of mystery, and enchanting characters. The descriptions are wonderful, lush and delicious - although the author does tend to toss similes around like loose change, and they don't always correspond to one another. The language may also be too flamboyant for some, but in actual fact it just highlights where this novel springs from: a love of words and language. It's incredibly vivid (possibly due to the author's obsessions with colours), and pulses with life. Lucia Graves, the translator (very aptly, the daughter of Robert Graves), has done a very good job indeed. As something is always "lost in translation", this novel must be even better in the original Spanish, which I think probably has a lot more synonyms for "poison" and "poisonous" than does English, so many times do those two words crop up.
It's all excellent. As you can see, it's not flawless, but it is just a pure pleasure to read, to be immersed in a story which itself sings the joys of stories. It also says something rather interesting about stories themselves: we the lives of Daniel and Julian mirror each other eerily across decades we get a sense that every story repeats itself in history at some time or another. Threads dance and connect them both across the years. Joy and misery (there's quite a great deal of lost love and loneliness, this novel being also a plea against both those things) spiral through the whole thing, and the end is wonderfully satisfying. I absolutely loved this book, as you can tell. Right now, I think the best novels around are coming out of Europe: the works of Henning Mankell, Donna Leon, Jose Carlos Somoza, Arnaldur Indridason, and Karin Fossum, for example. And Ruiz Zafon is now another name to add to that list. It's not a book without humour and wit, either, and there are some brilliant one-liners. A visit to a brothel is described thus: "A lineup of ladies with their virtue for rent - and a lot of mileage on the clock - greeted us with smiles that would only have excited a student of dentistry."

Wowee - that's far more detail than I expected or hoped for, j/j - many thanks. It does sound an original notion, and the quote right at the end makes it sound as if (as the reviewer says) there's some good humour to leaven any tension.

funnily enough read it in german, @kri, and could not warm up to it. apparently its gets better from page 100+ ....

after reading what jinnyj said, prob have to try again.

Last edited:
one of my all time favs is "The God of small things", has that been discussed on here? and certainly "Exodus". And "Snow falling on Cedars" .... and .....

Anyone read "Progress & Poverty" by Henry George?

"Take now... some hard-headed business man, who has no theories, but knows how to make money. Say to him: "Here is a little village; in ten years it will be a great city-in ten years the railroad will have taken the place of the stage coach, the electric light of the candle; it will abound with all the machinery and improvements that so enormously multiply the effective power of labor. Will in ten years, interest be any higher?" He will tell you, "No!" Will the wages of the common labor be any higher...?" He will tell you, "No the wages of common labor will not be any higher..." "What, then, will be higher?" "Rent, the value of land. Go, get yourself a piece of ground, and hold possession." And if, under such circumstances, you take his advice, you need do nothing more. You may sit down and smoke your pipe; you may lie around like the lazzaroni of Naples or the leperos of Mexico; you may go up in a balloon or down a hole in the ground; and without doing one stroke of work, without adding one iota of wealth to the community, in ten years you will be rich! In the new city you may have a luxurious mansion, but among its public buildings will be an almshouse."

That's an example of his style & subject matter.
This is what Einstein had to say about him:
"Men like Henry George are rare, unfortunately. One cannot imagine a more beautiful combination of intellectual keenness, artistic form and fervent love of justice."

I have an interest here -- I started this book about 30 years ago, never finished it, but the gist stuck in my mind. It's a book about 'political economy', the same subject as drew in Adam Smith, Ricardo and many others.

It was published in 1879 and is still in print, although presently, I believe, only abridged versions are printed: I've just bought a new copy.

Last edited:
I've just started RJ Ellory's City Of Lies. I spied it in my local Asda for the grand sum of £2 and recognised the author's name as one that had been recommended on here. Only a couple of chapters in but so far so good.

I liked 'Snow Falling on Cedars', too, Crazy. I enjoyed its quiet tone and the sense of the dignity of its main character, while the detail didn't get fussy or over-complex. In fact, the feel of the book was very much like snow falling on cedars - silent, elegant, but mesmerising.

I've had Barack Obama's two books passed on to me recently and am in the early stages of the first. I really want to like it and the language certainly flows beautifully but I'm not finding myself desperate to keep picking it up and continuing to read it.

I liked 'Snow Falling on Cedars', too, Crazy. I enjoyed its quiet tone and the sense of the dignity of its main character, while the detail didn't get fussy or over-complex. In fact, the feel of the book was very much like snow falling on cedars - silent, elegant, but mesmerising.

Wow, well said Kri - and thats how exactly how I felt about it. started reading and stopped for some reason, but found myseld thinking about it again and again. re-started and couldnt put it down - once you get into its rythm it is just that: silent and elegant and mesmerising!!!!!

A Daughter's Love by John Guy: Margaret More's relationship with her father Sir Thomas More. Although described on the back cover as a double biography, the bulk of the book concerns Thomas. However, it is worth reading not only for the insight to the private side of More himself, but the story of an extraordinarily intelligent and courageous woman who was steadfast in her love, devotion and belief in her father when faced with the tryanny that was Henry V111's rule.

Last edited:
There are shedloads of programmes about 'Enery at the moment! Henry as ruler, Henry as despot, the mind of Henry, and last night, Henry's 'mental state' as reflected in the art which he chose - i.e., why he chose certain pictures, what psychological impact he thought they'd convey (mostly of himself as omnipotent) on those who viewed them, etc. Also much about his destruction of the abbeys and the sacking of their interiors, grabbing most of their best stuff for himself, and ordering the burning of church furniture, their libraries (especially, since they reflected Catholic writings), and the general dispossession of the Church. One wonders what happened to all the poor who used to gather within them to be fed?

Overall, I don't think I like him - megalomania and monomania seem to have combined to create a horrendous ego, psychopathically cruel tendencies to dealing with those he didn't like, and a burst of mawkishnessl over the death of son Edward. I bet today's psychologists would love to talk to him!

They died, like a lot of the rest of the poor who were around then, before their time. A lot of the monks were given pensions. The poor who relied on them were not.

He was affected by physical sickness as well which argues a lot for his behaviour. If he hadn't sustained the injury to his leg which changed his behaviour, things may have been very different, although not the only cause of all his physical problems. If his son by Katherine had lived, or he had had another with her, history would have been a lot different. Some of his behaviour is not that different to other monarchs in the way he dealt with those he believed were his enemies or just plain didn't agree with him. Longshanks, from what I have read so far, was an utter vindictive b*astard in the way he dealt with the Welsh apart from anyone else. I recently bought a book about him which I had been considering for a long time, but knowing what I know already was reluctant to read it. Henry for all his faults, was a very intelligent man. Pity that intelligence was used in wrath against certain establishments and people. I have the most recent book by David Starkey about him to read, but I would really hate to think that what he said about there still being a little of Henry in all English people today was anything to do with the malevolent sides to him!

Last edited:
Faber & Faber have recently acquired the rights to Beckett's entire prose catlogue, and are re-issuing this in 3/4 stages this year, in addition to all his plays (which they've always held publication rights for). The editions are quite nice, good introductions (especially for Beckett fans) and some are especially good value in that they combine several texts in one book.

I bought the Company/Ill seen ill said/Worstward ho collection of short prose, and also would recommend Krapp's last tape which comes with a lot of his shorter plays.

Murphy and Watt have also been re-released, and whilst not as well regarded as Molloy/Malone Dies/unnameable, they are very enjoyabe and perhaps more readable than when he switched to first person narrative in the aforementioned trilogy.

Overall, I don't think I like him - megalomania and monomania seem to have combined to create a horrendous ego, psychopathically cruel tendencies to dealing with those he didn't like, and a burst of mawkishnessl over the death of son Edward. I bet today's psychologists would love to talk to him!

Do you mean his son Henry? He wasn't alive when Edward died.

Blimey - there's no hiding place on here! I was thinking 'Katherine's son' at the time because I couldn't remember if he was called Edward or Henry, G-G - even though I'd heard it 20 times last night!

I'm not inclined to forgive him on the basis of a gyppy leg - let's face it, everyone's teeth were falling out, they suffered everything we have today but without Anadin to help take away the pain, so I put that down mostly to his resenting terribly the loss of his 'beauty'. Not that I think a purse-lipped, snub-nosed gingernut represented much that was beautiful - energetic in a chunky, solid way. But beautiful? Unlikely for an English king! Oops.. got to go - a couple of chappies with pikestaffs have just arrived, and apparently I'm requested to attend for something called durance vile... is it a fancy-dress party?

Last edited:
Apologies wasn't trying to be the cleverest kid in the class!
Well the gammy leg didn't help as stopped most of his sporting activity, which led to substantial weight gain and obviously was very frustrating for someone who had been very physically active all his life, and was probably causing at least mild blood poisoning from time to time. His mental state not helped by the strong belief that he was also suffering from some type of STD, possibly, syphilis which amongst other things can cause paranoia. Of course alongside all that undoubtably he was a bit of a git too.
If you're nice and stretched by now, the stones will be along in a while. :)

Last edited:
He was also surrounded by some very unsavoury characters, all egging him on to various courses of action to suit their own ends e.g. Anne Boleyn's persecution of Wolseley - via Henry, of course.

An interesting time to read about, but it must have been a nerve-racking and dangerous time for those involved.

G-G - didn't Margaret Roper remove Sir Thomas's head from London Bridge after his execution? I believe Henry knew what she had done but didn't do anything about it because he had loved More and approved of Margaret's family loyalty.

G-G - didn't Margaret Roper remove Sir Thomas's head from London Bridge after his execution? I believe Henry knew what she had done but didn't do anything about it because he had loved More and approved of Margaret's family loyalty.[/QUOT

Yes Redhead she did. She kept tally of where it was in line as they disintregated to a point where they wouldn't stay on the pikes, they were usually thrown in the river, others behind moved down, and new ones put up.She bribed the keeper to let her take it. She couldn't get permission to bury it with his body, so kept it and it was put in the family tomb with her when she died. Her husband, not portrayed very well in the book has to be said, later had her body and the skull removed to his family crypt. The skull was put on show. She was brought to task for it but got off with a slapped wrist, as it were. Being 'only a woman' also saved her when she inserted additional words as her own caveat when swearing the oath to Henry. Amazing lady.

She was indeed a very intelligent and highly-educated lady - and a brave one. It must have been very galling sometimes for women of that calibre to be dismissed as "only a woman", but it's amazing how many women were able to turn that to their advantage.

I recently finished reading Antonia Fraser's "The Gunpowder Plot" (again) in which she tells of a number of brave, devout women who used the view of their sex as being physically, mentally and morally inferior (and therefore of little account) to advantage when sheltering priests and keeping their faith alive in a persecuted community.

Women now would find that view very insulting, but it offered quite a bit of leeway for an intelligent, strong-willed woman who had the sense to bite her tongue and go her own way. We don't hear that much of them because a) they were only women and b) they wished it that way.

Back