Boylesports Hurdle

If Sublimity happened to put in a right stinker-and stranger thins have happened-I could see the Champion being 6 or 7/1 the field.I could see my selection for the Champion -Sizing Europe-being a single figure price on Monday morning.

Sublimity is 3/1 with Paddy Power for the Boylesports hurdle between 12.00 and 12.15 today. Which seems fair enough to me.

Edit: That seems to be for phone bets only. Mind you if you don't have an account already you can have €50 on with them and another free €50 bet on it as well.

3/1 for a race at the Weekend, yet Mark Winstanley was imploring his readers under the headline "Snap up the 4/1 about Sublimity for the Champion" this week. I seem to have scribbled underneath it 'only if you don't know how to bet, or don't mind losing money'. I do wonder if some of these journo's are in league with bookies sometimes. Like most fragile racehorses (he's more fragile than most too) you need to take 25% off his ante post price this far out. Why would anyone want to take 3/1 about what should be a more competitive race 3 months away, when they can have the same price in 48 hours? I've criticised Winstanley a few times as I genuinely think he's very, very poor. One of my biggest gripes with him, is that he tries to harvest extremely short priced selections which is imo, punting suicide. His own advert brags of having winners "up to 8/1" woh!!!! Advocating 4/1 ante post is plain stupid, even if I can follow his demented logic. Mind you, he does admit to having conceived of the idea whilst supping a few pints :D It doth cloud ones judgement, and losen one's pockets Mark!!!

For my part, I'm still to be convinced that the horse is the real deal and not a very lucky inheritor of the mantle. Did he win it? Or did Brave Inca, Hardy Eustace, Detroit City, Straw Bear and Ikitiaf all conspire to lose it for different reasons?

So far this season we've seen a few of the grade 1 winners from Cheltenham turned over first time up.

Voy Por Ustedes - second
Katchit - third
Kauto Star - second
Ebaziyan - enough said!!!
My Way De Solzen - fifth

Denman and Inglis Drever are the only two to have obliged I think. I think the percentage call is to go the other way. Far from Sublimity winning well and his price collapsing to the 2/1 Winstanley hypothesises (he think's he's "burgled" the 4 with Corals) And not that I think his hypothesis necessarily justifies the bet anyway, but I think there's a better chance it'll remain unchanged, or go the other way a bit.

Think Macs Joy is a cracking bet and conditions suit him well.

Despite what connections of Sublimity say if he loses on Saturday it will be a blow as he goes so well fresh.

Katchit won first time up this season at Aintree. That makes the first time up stat virtually meaningless - as it was anyway in the context of this race. The point about 'why back at 3/1 in March when you can do it in 48 hours' is much more valid.
Some horses are doomed to have been considered to only have won because of the deficiences of other horses or riders. Ramonti would be a case in point. Sublimity was impressive enough in March that he shouldn't come into this category and looks to be a reasonable but not outstanding price if you take the Champion Hurdle at face value.

As someone who sang the praises of Sublimity well before he won at Cheltenham I would say that the light campaign he had last season suited him down to the ground-an egg and spoon race followed by the big one.Its going to be different this season.

Macs Joy has to be the e/w thief's steal at 5/1 in the Boylesports International Hurdle. Hardly ever finishes out of the places, genuine G1 animal in a G2, race fit after lto, the good ground that he craves in a dead-eight field.

Originally posted by Galileo@Dec 14 2007, 10:15 PM
Seems to be alot of money around for Desert Quest or is that just the stable form being factored in?
In spite of the yard effectively dismissing its CH prospects...

I've backed it EW today as I think it's got a great chance at the weights.

Dont understand the MACS JOY fascination, though the weight concession is helpful here, surely his chances of winning a Champion Hurdle are behind him. I think OSANA can run a big race here, as can Katchit.

best on good ground, but not many horses can beat Brave Inca and Hardy Eustace by two short heads on heavy ground in his AIG.

Back