Boylesports Hurdle

Well, as they say betsmate, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice! - and as we all know there is more than oen way to skin a cat......

I too punt regularly without seeing a horse or knowing much about it - but I feel a lot more confident about horses I've seen in the flesh, esp when punting on level weights races. Seeing Manduro and Dylan Thomas up close at Ascot was a case in point - and on another day I might have decided to back DT, but watchign them int he parade ring, there was 'no contest' to me [on the day].

I also feel more confident about backing [or not] those horses I've watched run on TV when I can get a reasonable close-up, watch the ears, head-carriage etc. Speed figs would be more use if horses were machines - but they ain't. I do factor them in of course, who doesn't - I was just making the point that people can get too obsessed with this kind of stat, and fail to see the woods for the trees

Btw I'm not necessarily speaking either of just backing a horse 'on the day'. When I'm punting big races, I remember things about horses I may not have seen for months.

I don't dispute that there are merits of many approaches, but you did just use three laughing emoticons at the thought of Mordin's approach. It is likely that the ideal method would be one based on all of the available data.

What I also believe is that there is likely less scope for misinterpretation of the tangibles of the like that Mordin uses than the intangibles of which you speak.

Very much each to their own though. Horses for courses you could say...

I think certain types of races lend themselves better to certain lines of investigation, and I tend to mix and match my approach accordingly.

My princiapl reason for taking a pop at Mordin was based purely on the idea that he thought the 3yo run would end in the Arc this year, when he expressly tipped three seperate horses from that age group. I read most of what I he publsihes in the Weekender and on his web site, and I can't recall him ever having offered this opinion previously

Back