Boylesports Hurdle

Thought Sublimity jumped very well. Really skips his hurdles. I do think we will see a better horse at Chelt. He was tanking along at the top of the hill, and I think a mixture of fitness and course saw him flatten out. Winner was away and gone and Katchit fought on valiantly, but think he is better suited to the other course. Obviously, would have liked to seen him get closer. I'm guessing that connections wouldnt be too disappointed with the effort, maybe not as disappointed as some of his supporters.

I am not his biggest fan (Sublimity) but I thought he ran well enough. There seemed to be little confidence behind his chances and he came there to win it but got very tired in the run in. Your comments about the course are very well made Garney, had not thought of that.

First time Macs Joy has ever failed to complete a race. 30 previous races and only ever once outside the first five; way back on his fifth start 4 years ago. Such a horrible shame.

Commiserations to connections of Mac's Joy and to all his Irish fans on here.
Sad stuff. Wish we could have a Saturday without a fatality

Sad to see Katchit beat, his exertions are katching up with him I fear
Glad tho that I took AK's hint about Penzance and tood some 40/1 e/w.
That was a great run form him fto as he's a very stuffy horse
That's the 2nd time he's been placed in the Bula btw

Carr said on Ch4 that Sublimity had never lost fto, well he has now...
Fascinating day, and good call UG!

What did we make of the start of the race today? Just watching it again and I didnt realise at the start how much of a lead he was handed early on.

Carr said on Ch4 that Sublimity had never lost fto, well he has now...

Weird thing for Carr to make a point of. First of all, he lost on his debut on the flat. Assuming he means only since he's joined him, its hardly meaningful when on the horse's two seasonal debuts for him he's run in egg-and-spoon contests which only required him to run to a rating in the 120s to win.

There are far too many starts in NH races at the mo where horses are knicking lengths at the start.

Real shame about Macs Joy.

Hmm, strange that Katchit's run is "disappointing" and showing him not to be good enough when he and the winner finished well clear of the rest of the field - yet a horse over 10l behind him ran a "good race" and is clearly better than Katchit. Did I miss something?! (don't be banging on about first runs of the season, he's managed to win them before)

Sublimity has shown he is better than this in the past....and to my eye clearly blew up at the bottom of the hill. IMO the winner and the second are the only two that actually ran their race.

I see no reason why Katchit should reverse form or improve for todays run yet I see every reason why Sublimity should improve but he will have to.

Firstly SL, where on here has anyone said Katchit ran a 'disappointing';race?
I certainly didn't - I said I was sorry to see him beat

Arkers' remark about the lengths Osana took at the start are correct - I felt watching it, that it was wrong of the Starter to let them go like that. I'd like to see a rule no horse can start more than 2 lengths in front of the field - pref just the one!

My mistake HS - wrong wording. The overall impression I got (mainly from comments such as "Katchit beaten on merit" and "his exertions are catching up with him I fear") was that Katchit didn't run an encouraging race yet Sublimity did.

Paddy rode a very good race and took advantage of nicking quite a few lengths from the field at the start and getting away. I think it was a good run (in such circumstances) for Katchit to have been the only horse to have got close to him and still finished 10l in front of the rest of the field.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 15 2007, 04:53 PM
Paddy rode a very good race and took advantage of nicking quite a few lengths from the field at the start and getting away. I think it was a good run (in such circumstances) for Katchit to have been the only horse to have got close to him and still finished 10l in front of the rest of the field.
Certainly when you factor in Osana's head start, it does put a different complexion on things - it was a lot fo ground for a small horse to make up. Still and all, the winner looked an improver and has to be factored into the Cheltenham picture. I wasn't impressed with Sublimity, and he was expected to win fto. Will be interesting to see how AK plays Katchit's campaign here on in.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Dec 15 2007, 04:29 PM
Looked to me like the others were happy to give him the lead. Mugs.
It was obvious they were happy to concede Osana his start. They clearly felt he wasn't going to be a major player and will be a lot wiser next time.

Mac's Joy pops his gallant clogs, Desert Quest fails to fire, Afsoun is starting to look like a horse without a trip and Sublimity either blows up or goes wrong approaching the last (is it my imagination or does Carberry look down worriedly at Sublimity's off fore).

Gifford said beforehand he'd be happy to see Straw Bear chasing the leaders going to the last and he did that before possibly blowing up too.

For me, Penzance is the key to the form. If he's run to his OR of 145 then Katchit has run to 156 - about the same as Newcastle and still below his best form. Osana has hit 161 but is flattered by his ten length start. If Penzance has run to his peak previous hurdles rating (158) then it has been a real rehearsal with Katchit (169) as good as previous form suggested and Sublimity, Afsoun and Straw Bear running to 162, 161 and 160 respectively, just 6lbs, 4lbs and 4lbs under my previous best ratings for them. Osana is still flattered but it might be dangerous to dismiss his 174 rating too readily.

My gut reaction is to go with the former scenario. Penzance was struggling and going nowhere six furlongs out, looking similar to the horse we saw most of last season. It will be interesting to see where he goes next and how he fares but the way Osana bounded clear again after the last would have me very loathe to oppose him in any company from now on.

If the second scenario is correct, Katchit is looking very long at 10/1 for the big one in March.

Its difficult to think of a horse willing to take Osana on for the lead come cheltenham time. Definitely a player, and I wouldn't overestimate the head start. Think the winner won on merit. Even if the others laid up behind him at the tape, i think they would have been unwilling to go the pace he set.

That's an interesting take DO. I can only repeat that AK has been very pleased indeed with Penzance this season, esp his attitude, and said before the race that whilst he expected him to need the run, he's pretty sure he has him back where he was in his Triumph season. It was v encouraging to see him running on up the hill even though he was tired. So I think you can factor in a higher figure for Penzance than he posted going into the race. I backed him e/w at 40/1 on AK's remarks - and glad I did

PS will be fascinating to see if AK keeps him to hurdles for a while or goes back chasing

Originally posted by Garney@Dec 15 2007, 05:29 PM
Its difficult to think of a horse willing to take Osana on for the lead come cheltenham time. Definitely a player, and I wouldn't overestimate the head start. Think the winner won on merit. Even if the others laid up behind him at the tape, i think they would have been unwilling to go the pace he set.
If I owned one of the other major players, I'd want someone to put in a sharp handicapper to 'accompany' Osana for the first mile...

Back