Breeder's Cup Meeting

How amazing that MCM wins in a canter over ten and a half furlongs off a tremendously fast gallop - no mention of him not staying 10f tonight .Perhaps he only doesn't stay when STS is in opposition.

Exposed? I always like the saying if your sure they will stay than they are probably not fast enough.

Some good Breeders Cup trials on atr tonight - cards in the RP
Wil they hav eto take STS now I wonder? He won with plenty in hand today, Kinane didn't have to use the whip seriously. You'd have to have a go surely, after that?

I'm normally a huge fan of the Euro horses going over there.... but is it worth going all that way just to beat Rip Van Winkle and Mastercraftsman again? Is there a likely American runner who's scalp is worth it?

Kinane is quoted on the SL site as saying he is getting a bit hairy and in essence - why bother.

I just wish they would keep him in training the way he has improved suggests he could be even better next year !!!

Why bother? Granted connections might have reasons for him not to run but I do not understand why the viewing public would not be delighted to seehim turned out again regardless of him having nothing to prove.

Why bother? Granted connections might have reasons for him not to run but I do not understand why the viewing public would not be delighted to seehim turned out again regardless of him having nothing to prove.

Well for a start I don't want to see an over the top STS beaten by RVW and have to listen to loads of crap about how RVW was better than him and only his feet stopped him beating STS all year .

No horse should be campaigned with the fear of a loss taking priority - and certainly not a horse such as STS who has absolutely no need to fear a loss after what he has achieved. As a racing fan, if Oxx is happy the horse is well,then I want to be the horse line up in the Classic not for anything to prove but to see the horse again.

Last edited:
No horse should be campaigned with the fear of a loss taking priority - and certainly not a horse such as STS who has absolutely no need to fear a loss after what he has achieved. As a racing fan, if Oxx is happy the horse is well,then I want to be the horse line up in the Classic not for anything to prove but to see the horse again.

I have a better idea - let's postpone the Champion Stakes for a fortnight !:lol:

No horse should be campaigned with the fear of a loss taking priority

How can that be said as being the case with a 2000 Guineas, Derby, Eclipse, International, Irish Champion and Arc winner ? When the Arc - unlike for Sea Bird , Mill Reef and Dancing Brave was not a carefully hatched plan but a bit of an afterthought !!!!

How can that be said as being the case with a 2000 Guineas, Derby, Eclipse, International, Irish Champion and Arc winner ? When the Arc - unlike for Sea Bird , Mill Reef and Dancing Brave was not a carefully hatched plan but a bit of an afterthought !!!!

I meant it in reference to your comments about not wanting to lose to RVW because was over the top - not in reference to how Oxx and connections have campaigned the horse.

What did we make of Goldikova? I thought I saw her flash her tail a bit when getting asked for her effort.

Going to America with any Arc winner, but more so a great one, is like taking a Cheltenham Gold Cup winner to Aintree or Punchestowns. Yeah, it's nice to see them again, but it's all a bit after the Lord Mayor's show.

If the horse is well they should go for the BC IMHO. I don't see how defeat in America trying to overcome all the disadvantages the European raiders face and the long season he has had, could tarnish the horses reputation or legacy.

What he has done is in the book and if J. Oxx thinks he is in good shape I say go for it. Mind you I don't know if J. Oxx could stand the pressure never mind the horse. After the Arc he looked tired, like he was glad it was all over.

It seems rather insular to me to suggest that STS has nothing to prove. The U.S is a big place and is rather insular also. To go there and beat what ever they've got would cement his reputation over there to fans and breeders.

The fact that young Tsui has said it looks like STS will go to stud in Ireland makes me think they have already decided not to go to the Breeders Cup and enhance is rep over there.

I suppose it depends on how you rate the Breeders Cup meeting - it sits second for me (behind Arc weekend) in terms of favourite flat meetings. I love it.

I suppose it depends on how you rate the Breeders Cup meeting - it sits second for me (behind Arc weekend) in terms of favourite flat meetings. I love it.

Love it too....I think like most things in this World if you want to prove your the best you've gotta crack the States. Not too mention the Commercial end of it. Getting nosed out of it certainly didn't do Giants Causeway any harm when he retired there.

Well I do not think he needs to run in the States to prove he is the best - no one has better credentials anywhere in the world than STS. But I would like to see him run again (assuming connections are 100% happy with the horse) and the snobbery/disparaging remarks towards the Classic from some is disappointing particularly given the surface it is on now.

Back