Breeders Cup

Agonisingly close there, she was just so far behind from the start that to even get close to the winner is amazing.

He's ridden her like that in every single start, it's the first time in twenty starts that she's not got up. Nobody has said a word before. Turning for home, she was in the exact same position as she was in her last 19 starts, how far behind she was past the stands the first time is academic to be honest.

The winner, Blame has had a good pretty season, with 2 Grade 1 wins this season in the Whitney and Stephen Foster.

But what a shame for Zenyatta and she lost with so much grace. Still a champion in my eyes.

You are right Galileo but I think it took her a while to adjust to the track and Mike Smith wanted her to move up just a little and she did.

Great performance all the same ..beaten by a good horse in the end ...she could not get by Blame.

She will be retired for sure now.

I would be interested in seeing a sectional analysis of this race. For all that the mare was practically tailed off at one stage the winner was held up well off what was almost certainly too strong a gallop.

Has she raced lazily in the past?

I thought it looked as though it took her two furlongs to warm up going that pace on dirt. I want to see ESPN's close up!

Well, everybody, what did we make of that? First off, I really thought she was going wrong, she went from the stalls so stiffly and carefully. Second, I thought Smith might then realise she wasn't breaking down on the unaccustomed dirt, and hurry her up, but no, he seemed to think that a furlong's length off the front was just fine, ffs. Third, it was pretty unedifying to see him panic in the straight and wallop her around like a street trader's donkey. It's not her fault, you twazzock, it's yours.

To think she went down by a head makes her one and only loss so poignant but, on the other hand, I'm just totally relieved there wasn't a dreadful GEORGE WASHINGTON incident. Her little dance steps beforehand were truly engaging and sweet, and I doubt than anyone will begrudge her the one defeat in her glorious run. She's shown she really is a top, top horse, not just a top mare, and as long as they can find her a very tall boyfriend, I hope she enjoys her time at stud!

Slating Dangerous Midge is just bollocks. He's a very talented horse and has always promised as much - now he's proven it. How many times does he have to do it on the track to gain some sort of recognition rather than laughable comments about how crazy it is that he won the race? Some people with eyes in their head recognised him as a good horse a long, long time ago.

These scenes in America are unreal. Makes the Kauto/Denman thing seem tame - I really hope she wins.

Did not seem tame if you were at Cheltenham .

Goldikova what a magnificent mare please keep her intraining I want to see her race Canford Cliffs and Frankel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo
These scenes in America are unreal. Makes the Kauto/Denman thing seem tame - I really hope she wins.

Did not seem tame if you were at Cheltenham .

Or kempton last xmas

Slating Dangerous Midge is just bollocks. He's a very talented horse and has always promised as much - now he's proven it. How many times does he have to do it on the track to gain some sort of recognition rather than laughable comments about how crazy it is that he won the race? Some people with eyes in their head recognised him as a good horse a long, long time ago.

I've always liked him and he's done me a couple of good turns but he had no form to be a credible candidate for a group one. Where would he have come in the Arc? The Lasix and the blinkers made the difference.

I agree he's a talented horse but he's won a very soft grade one where the favourite didn't perform.

You should have been there for the 2004 gold cup 60,000 people screaming home one horse.

I think you are missing my point - I have never seen a horse led down to the track with more security that the President, how the crowd roared her into the saddling box with her minders trying to hush people to stop unsettling her. If anything it sounds more like what happened to Nijinsky prior to his Arc effort.

It was amazing - although having some sound from the track, instead of Chaparse's inane prattling, would've increased the sense of atmosphere. But you'd have to have that much security, because there are enough nutcases who'd possibly damage her, either malevolently (like people who kill famous persons just to get their name in the history books), or through over-enthusiasm. All those flashes going off couldn't be too helpful, but at least they'd stuck ear defenders in. Marvellous to think there were nearly 75,500 people attending. Don't know what the usual turn-out is, but 'Zenyatta's last race' had to pull in a few thousand more, surely?

Back