Breeding & Bloodstock 2013

Miesque

At the Start
Coolmore have just gone public with plans to stand 4 new stallions in Ireland for 2013.

Henrythenavigator (moved from Ashford)
Excelebration (new)
So You Think (new)
Power (new)

John Magnier underbidder on Ravens Pass colt an interesting development or an outstanding colt?

an outstanding colt possibly

they have already bought three bernardinis this year including a sales topper

so they have already broken their alleged boycott of darley stallions

an outstanding colt possibly

they have already bought three bernardinis this year including a sales topper

so they have already broken their alleged boycott of darley stallions

Yeah was aware of this but found it interesting for them to do this today in such a high profile way.

No still have yearlings from last year that haven't run so trying to keep numbers down. Was sorely tempted by monitor closelys full sister

No still have yearlings from last year that haven't run so trying to keep numbers down. Was sorely tempted by monitor closelys full sister

Do you mind me asking how you approach your racing interests. For example, I try to buy one store horse a year and supplement with others if and when the opportunity arises. Do you have a set maximum number of horses you want to have in training at any particular time? Its easy enough to get carried away.

Just got September's training bill in the door this morning - 4 half shares has to be reduced to 2 maximum!! It's not the buying of them is the problem is keeping the feckers...:blink:

Casamento to Kildangan (Darley) for 2013. By Shamardal. No fee yet.

Bated Breath to Juddmonte (Banstead Manor)

Sixties Icon hiked to £8,500 (nearly double his 2012 fee).

From the Racing Post-
GALILEO fever has spread to the US, judging by the annual 'Report of Mares Bred' statistics released by the American Jockey Club on Friday.

Cape Blanco, a five-time Group or Grade 1 winner for Aidan O'Brien, was the busiest stallion in America this year, when he became the first major son of Galileo to stand in the US.

Cape Blanco covered 220 mares at Coolmore's Ashford Stud in Kentucky, a figure that edged out his studmate Scat Daddy on 217 covers.

I really liked him, tough as they come .They didn't seem to appreciate his talents much at Ballydoyle.

How much will Casamento be ?

220 mares for a first season sire; any wonder there is overproduction!
Northern Dancer in his life sired 750 or so offspring; Hyperion 830s.
When Footstepsinthesand won 2000 Gns there were 1200+ Giant Causeways already on the ground, all hemispheres. Have we improved the breed so much by doing this?

I don't know, has it been damaged ? The good ones will race and win and the bad ones won't. I don't think it's keeping anyone awake at night. I suppose something will give before some of the match stick horses we see these days fall over.

I cannot decide where I'd pitch Casanento.....what are you suggesting Sheikh? The figure I've got in mind is probably on the low side but then Darley had been commercial with their freshman stallions before Sepoy and Helmet....

I have him in the intense focus,lord shanakill, caspar netscher, strategic prince bracket so if they really want that business they can't advertise higher than 5k. I think Caspar should be 6.

Presumably a limited book because every suitable Juddmonte mare will be getting first crack?

Think STS was in the 95k ball park and they went mental with Ghostzapper at 150k IIRC.

Think Frankel will be in the 125k ballpark even in the current times of austerity :)

Back