Breeding & Bloodstock 2013

Congrats. I'm expecting a Camelot, Declaration of War and a Mastercraftsman. I've also got my eye on a filly going to the July sales from a family I'd like to get into.

I definitely won't be joining you in joining the foaling list myself!

Last edited:
lol, wasn't something that I'd had much thought about either, but most of my life just kind of happens, at least it's never boring!!!!
Congrats on your three, know what you mean about families you'd like a piece of - I had one in mind but for obvious reasons it's on hold now!!

Thankyou for the congrats people :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we're roughly a quarter of the way through the Pattern season in GB in terms of numbers, I thought I'd do a quick analysis of which stallions are having a good season to date as the sires of Group winners:

Galileo 4 winners of 6 races 1 x G1; 2 x G2; 3 x G3
Footstepsinthesand 2 winners of 2 races 2 x G3
Kyllachy 2 winners of 2 races 2 x G3
Selkirk 2 winners of 2 races 2 x G3
Shamardal 2 winners of 2 races 2 x G3
Shirocco 1 winner of 2 races 2 x G3
Amadeus Wolf 1 winner of 1 race G3
Arakan 1 winner of 1 race G3
Archipenko 1 winner of 1 race G3
Authorized 1 winner of 1 race G2
Choisir 1 winner of 1 race G1
Danehill Dancer 1 winner of 1 race G3
Dansili 1 winner of 1 race G1
Dubawi 1 winner of 1 race G1
Even Top 1 winner of 1 race G1
High Chaparral 1 winner of 1 race G3
Iffraaj 1 winner of 1 race G2
Invincible Spirit 1 winner of 1 race G3
Le Vie de Colori 1 winner of 1 race G2
Mastercraftsman 1 winner of 1 race G2
Motivator 1 winner of 1 race G3
Mount Nelson 1 winner of 1 race G3
Mull of Kintyre 1 winner of 1 race G3
New Approach 1 winner of 1 race G3
Pivotal 1 winner of 1 race G2
Sea The Stars 1 winner of 1 race G1
Take Risks 1 winner of 1 race G3

No group winners for Oasis Dream yet this season.

While compiling this, it struck me that the stayers' division potentially has more strength in depth this year, with the consistency so far of Tac de Boistron, Brown Panther and Gospel Choir.

The Coolmore boys are really throwing a lot of money at War Front but I wonder if its paying off? They seem to have decided that none of Danehills sons are flying the Danzig bloodline in the way they want and War Front is the stallion to get them there.

His offspring are undoubtedly real lookers and sell well but are they truly delivering on the track?

Good point Aragorn. After Colin pointed out about Kodiac's 2yo winners I looked at the pedigrees of a few races and it was very entertaining to see a €10,000 sire's offspring beating, for example, War Front offspring. Everyone seems ready to put down Kodiac as "just a sire of early 2yos" but in the end they run against these expensively sired youngsters and beat them.
Coolmore just don't seem to get a really successful sire from the Danzig line: it looks like Juddmonte have trumped them and they also haven't got Invincible Spirit or his brother. But Coolmore have seemed to have gone more for staying Danehills (DT and DoM) whereas the key as ever seems to be speed. I guess Mastercraftsman could still make it and Fastnet Rock doesn't seem bad. Maybe I'm being hard?
As for Kodiac, with a better type of mare will he get Group horses?

Good stuff ED - though it's funny that you mention War Front as this crop are by my reckoning is the first he's had at a top price, he stood his first three seasons at $12,500 and in 2010 that dropped to 10k!

The first major leap was from 2011 to 2012 when his fee more than tripled to 60k so it'll be interesting to see how they progress - personally I think he's as likely to sire plenty of speedballs and the odd miler (DOW being an exception IMHO) as he is to be siring regular KY Derby candidates which is pretty much what every breeder over the pond is after - though with plenty of speed in the pedigree as WF has.

Martin

Some crazy prices at Doncaster over the last two days. Anything by Dark Angel going for very high values, but generally very good prices for anyone selling.

See the date for entries for the DBS sale at Doncaster on 27th January has been extended for the third time? The TBA reporting worrying trend about growth in numbers of foals being born, but people not selling?

Back