Brexit

Brexit, Stay or Leave.

• Stay

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Leave

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
Fine words from Theresa May today but have we heard something similar before?

Margaret Thatcher started her tenure by wrongly attributing that prayer to St Francis of Assisi so it probably didn't bother her conscience that she did all in her power to sow discord, error (ie lies), doubt and despair.

I have a gut feeling May actually means her words.

I have never voted Conservative before and would never plan to but if she were to end up delivering on her aims I could see me voting tory for as long as she is in charge.

But I won't be holding my breath in the meantime.

I forecast with some confidence that under her leadership the gap between the rich and poor will widen, ordinary people will become even more disaffected with politics and politicians and the UK will crumble into oblivion.

Careful now, she's appointing the most right-wing cabinet seen since the Wolfschanze.

Anyone confused about British politics at the moment? Here's a useful Game of Thrones analogy:

Ok, so although there are other minor houses, the main ones in Britain right now are the Lannisters and the Starks. Joffrey Lannister was on the iron throne until recently - baby faced and harmless seeming, but actually horribly ruthless and very mean, especially to the poor. But, due to his own incompetence, arrogance and stupidity, he's buggered off now and Cersei has taken over. We don't really know what she's going to do with her new power yet but, it's Cersei, so it's going to be bad.
Meanwhile in the north, The Starks have been struggling to control Winterfell for a while, partly due to not really having a very popular leader since Ned Stark died. Also. Lots of people, especially in the north of Westeros, were getting fed up of the wildlings coming from north of the wall and wanting to share their sheep and wine and whores. Even though they brought other useful things to share in return, like furry coats and fish, people were suspicious of them because King Joffrey had spent ages telling them the wildlings were to blame for everyone being so poor (so that nobody would realise it was actually because he was stealing all their money to give to his rich Lannister friends) and loads of people believed him, because they were afraid.
Amidst all the confusion at Winterfell, the High Sparrow turned up and started going on about how everyone was a sinner, and they needed to stop all the heads on spikes and whoring at once and follow the word of the seven gods instead. This annoyed a lot of the angry scared people of the north, because although religion was nice, it wasn't going to keep them in sheep and whores and it didn't really have anything to do with what they were pissed off about, but a lot of the other more spiritually-minded and less poor and angry people in Westeros really liked him, and soon he had lots and lots of follower sparrows. So, even though the Starks really didn't want him at Winterfell, and he didn't really fit in there in the snow with his sandals on, his many followers told the Starks it was tough **** and they had to have him as the new King of the North, so, they had to let him. This caused a lot of confusion because really, the High Sparrow wasn't really bothered about the wildlings, or even about Winterfell, he really just wanted to spread the word of the seven gods and being King was a great way to do that, so he went along with it. But everyone else at Winterfell was secretly fuming and were soon plotting how to get rid of him.
So basically now, Winterfell is in chaos whilst Cersei is busy plotting her next ruthless moves from the iron throne. Winterfell need to get their **** together because otherwise Cersei is going to make Westeros really really horrible, possibly worse than Joffrey, but they can't because the High Sparrow won't bugger off back to Kings Landing and the rest of Winterfell can't get their heads round all the god stuff he keeps banging on about. And, like I said, since Ned died (and, as we know, even he turned out to be a bit of a liar and a coward in the end), they don't really have anyone to challenge him that the people will kneel down for anyway. Brienne of Tarth has turned up to give it a bit of a half-hearted bash, but nobody likes her very much because she's a bit weird, and she has a history of swearing allegiances to slightly dodgy people like Jaime Lannister.
But we need them to hurry up and sort their **** out, because winter is coming. And we don't have a dwarf, or any dragons.

Last edited:
no it's not laughable. Don't fcking rewrite what I said .

I didn't say he was a positive. I said she thinks so and she is far better able to judge than anyone on a forum. It's as simple as that.

My apologies. I didn't realise that you could exclusively channel May's brain, and identify not only what she thinks, but also the reasons she thinks it.

What an unbelievably stupid comment

I know, but I forgive you for it, and all the others that came before. :thumbsup:

On a (not really even) partially-related topic, I am currently devouring Tom Bower's excellent 'Broken Vows: Tony Blair - The Tragedy of Power'. Impeccably researched, it peers right through the spin, to define how utterly hopeless and amateurish his Government was, and how his policy of (ahem) "ethical intervention" had its genesis as far back as the Balkan conflict.

I heartily, heartily recommend it. It will be a huge eye-opener for many Labour voters who remember those years fondly.

Tom bowers always concentrates on muck raking and is completely slanted. The kitty Kelly of politics. In fairness he has also produced well received quality bios on the historical heavyweights Richard Branson and Simon cowell

I don't read bios with an agenda. I recall he admitted that himself in an interview last year at which point you have to put a line through it.

Its ts well known that bower only does hatchet bios on people he doesn't like. Boring

No interest at all. I'll await a serious writer such as john campbell

Last edited:
Better bet is the documentary Weiner which is cinemas now. Ok it's off subject being New York mayoral race but is astonishing. Funny and a little sad at same time. He's not altogether likeable but the self destruct resonates

remarkably revealing and well put together. A great film

I know, but I forgive you for it, and all the others that came before. :thumbsup:

On a (not really even) partially-related topic, I am currently devouring Tom Bower's excellent 'Broken Vows: Tony Blair - The Tragedy of Power'. Impeccably researched, it peers right through the spin, to define how utterly hopeless and amateurish his Government was, and how his policy of (ahem) "ethical intervention" had its genesis as far back as the Balkan conflict.

I heartily, heartily recommend it. It will be a huge eye-opener for many Labour voters who remember those years fondly.

in fairness, even though it's a very poor choice, we all have to start somewhere and it is good to see you are reading books.

well done

Last edited:
I dunno why you would dismiss it so blithely. It's actually right up your strasse, I suspect.

Far from it being a hatchet-job, it is actually a very considered treatise on the dysfunction at the heart of the entire New Labour government. It does not focus on Blair exclusively (though it makes it abundantly clear that he was the 'driving-force', with all of the problems fundamentally stemming from his MO), and touches on all manner of ineptitudes; not least the constant war between PM and Chancellor, the inherent mistrust of agnostic Civil Servants and the consequent lack of decision-making expertise, and the contrast between the vacuity of Blair's "numbers game" approach, and the left-wing ideologues who formed his first Cabinet (which the book makes clear was a Cabinet in name only).

Perhaps the most interesting (and surprising) aspect of the book, is the fact that many of the New Labour policies were tacitly acknowledged as failures after Blair's first term, and that they actually ended-up rolling these back and re-introducing policies which had been implemented by John Major's Tory government; principally in the areas of Education and the NHS.

It is no muck-raking exercise to "get Blair". It is a genuinely interesting and enlightening tome about New Labour (framed, as you would expect, around its principal actor), and once you have learned your words and times-tables, I do recommend you have a nose through it.

Last edited:
But did he have a double bj off cheri and the Charlie Chaplin bird?

ok . Sounds fair. Have a bit of a reading list at moment but will have a look

Has anyone actually written a book on here btw? There are some good writers that have been on theses places over the years. I know Maxillon5 from TRF is an author I enjoyed his book. He encouraged me when writing my short story of 10 000 words a couple years ago. A shame we don't we don't speak anymore but I hope he is well. So anyone written anything?

Last edited:
But did he have a double bj off cheri and the Charlie Chaplin bird?

ok . Sounds fair. Have a bit of a reading list at moment but will have a look

I also read 'Bernie Maddoff: Wizard of Lies' whilst on holiday. Maybe something else you might like.

just reading joseph stiglitiz the leftish economist and John key the top uk economist take apart the banking industry if thats your thing. Stiglitz is a bit long on moans and short of solutions but writes well. Kay is very very smart.

just reading joseph stiglitiz the leftish economist and John key the top uk economist take apart the banking industry if thats your thing. Stiglitz is a bit long on moans and short of solutions but writes well. Kay is very very smart.

Do either of them have pictures with tits?

Has anyone actually written a book on here btw? There are some good writers that have been on theses places over the years. I know Maxillon5 from TRF is an author I enjoyed his book. He encouraged me when writing my short story of 10 000 words a couple years ago. A shame we don't we don't speak anymore but I hope he is well. So anyone written anything?

Was Max's book titled 'Freaking-out on the Fibresand' ? :)

What was your tome Marble?

I like to regard myself as an Essayist i.e an author who runs out of ideas and/or gets bored at around 1000 words :(

Was Max's book titled 'Freaking-out on the Fibresand' ? :)

What was your tome Marble?

I like to regard myself as an Essayist i.e an author who runs out of ideas and/or gets bored at around 1000 words :(

Ha, a true gent is your good self, thanks for asking, Drone.

My story was called Section Free. Some 15 years ago now in London aged 17 I was sectioned.
Section Free covers the downward spiral of a first psychotic episode, and then learning about what 'mental health' is when you are smack bang in the middle on a Section Three of the mental health act.

I wrote this in 2013 when doing my journalism degree.
The title is admittedly a prickly pun which illustrates my frustration with certain parts of the mental health system back then.
I felt some issues needed addressing, which Section Free explains.

My family helped me recall some of the events at that time.
If the readers take out or two little lines from the read I'd be happy.

Section Free is not online anymore. However, I can send you a copy anytime, Drone. Just ask!

An NHS union bought a lot of copies, I used to do a lot of mental health advocacy and one or two conferences so they gave some copies to their new nursing students..

Max's was a psychological thriller called Carla. Btw. An interesting read it was.

Last edited:
Brave of you to admit all this marb

luckily I've never had any such issues and because I'm napoleon that's not likely to happen

joking mate. Good stuff

Thanks Clive, its an hours read, but I'm told it was edgy and entertaining. I can say that the thought of spending years and years tranquilised and under the control of a psychiatrist in a hospital was a situation that I didn't want as a young man. Some people cannot change their predicament but I could so I did everything to get well. There's nothing makes me more happy inside than bumping into people I met on the wards all those years ago, in the community trying to make a go of it.

Last edited:
Back