brixton animals

Both my juniors are students in the UK at present and they have been working in various part-time jobs in order to get some extra pocket money. The treatment they have had from some (not all) of these employers in the form of inflexibility, rudeness, bullying and exploitation has been a lot worse than I ever had to put up with at their age. They seem to think they're running their own version of The Apprentice and each week someone has to go.

It's one thing for students who will be moving on to brighter horizons, but it's another thing for kids living in their own area and trying to get a start in life to be treated in this way. No wonder many of them are angry.

Well i work with and encounter a fair number of smes and frankly i have not encountered any apprenticew style bosses. You can also quickly tell if there is an atmosphere in any business (something i have to bé alert to)

Not saying bullyiing doesnt happen but the idea that the uk -s riddled with shouting manic young stupid bosses is rubbish

It's a sad fact that reality **** like The Apprentice, Dragons Den etc., not to mention the Cowells of this world playing on the dreams and insecurities of gullible young (and not so young) people, is having a damaging effect on behaviour, aspiration, ethics and other aspects of modern society.

Well i work with and encounter a fair number of smes and frankly i have not encountered any apprenticew style bosses. You can also quickly tell if there is an atmosphere in any business (something i have to bé alert to)

Not saying bullyiing doesnt happen but the idea that the uk -s riddled with shouting manic young stupid bosses is rubbish

I'm talking about the low pay end of things, clivex - sportswear shops, bars, waitering etc.

To give one example, a regional manager of a chain of coffee shops was visiting my daughter's place of work. He overheard her asking her superivisor to be allowed switch shifts with a colleague and started on a lecture about needing to be single-minded, to let nothing get in the way of the job and to give 110% to it at all times. He finished his homily by sacking her.

It's a sad fact that reality **** like The Apprentice, Dragons Den etc., not to mention the Cowells of this world playing on the dreams and insecurities of gullible young (and not so young) people, is having a damaging effect on behaviour, aspiration, ethics and other aspects of modern society.

So true....the business world is increasingly being sullied with w*nk*rs like Cowell,Sugar, Clivex and the likes...:whistle:

i know someone well who sold a company too him and remained on the board so had a lot of dealings with him. In his opinion he is very much like he is in that boardroom. Grumpy but very sharp questions and good on instinct. But not petty or a bully

AS has also come out against jew baiting Ken today, which is good fun

I don't get the love affair with Alan Sugar.

The advent of Personal Computing will be a milestone in human civilisation, up there with electricity and the motor car.

Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad) were in a market dominant position, just on the crux of this life-changing explosion. They were the PC that people had in their home (if not a Spectrum that they also owned). They were first to mass-market the portable computer, ahead of Macintosh.

Sure there were a few challenging upstarts. But from that position...

Apple - went on to become the world's first $1 Trillion company.
Bill Gates' personal fortune from Microsoft once had him as the world's richest man.
Even those who diversified away from PCs - like IBM (worth 200 Billion +) - are still huge players in IT

Amstrad went bust. Sugar went to reality TV.

Right place, right time, wrong management.

Failure.

Whatever you think of him personally, i think coming from nothing in Hackney to where he is today is a strange measure of failure

Bets - Sugar never stood a chance against Gates. To be fair, though, no-one did. Not even Jobs.

Back