Carmarthen - Wales - Info

an capall

Senior Jockey
I have reason to visit the University in Carmathen in Wales in a few weeks and have decided to stay on in the Principality for a few days.

My questions are, does anybody know much about this college, and secondly where would you recommend for a relaxing few days in Wales or the South West.

Thanks

AC

1. I know nothing about the college.

2. Tenby is the local picture postcard resort but can get very crowded.

3. Many years ago I had a couple of holidays along the Cardigan Bay coast and have fond memories of places like Gwbert on Sea, Aberporth and Tresaith. Could be totally wrecked now.

4. I don't think you'd be disappointed by the Gower Peninsula.

Ardross can put you in touch with a few of the local lovelies there AC. Don't wear anything woolen though as this may be misconstrued as offensive.
icon_eek.gif

Went to Tenby on holiday with parents and sister when I was little (about 4 at the time), it rained a lot and we watched sheep dog trials and went swimming, the beach and saw a dead fox, a few cows and an awful lot of sheep.

Martin

An, there are any number of delightful places within easy reach of Carmarthen.

Laugharne, best known for its Dylan Thomas connection, is nearby. You would be able to visit his boathouse and the watering-hole he regularly frequented, Brown's Hotel.

As Archie mentioned Tenby in Pembrokshire is very tourist orientated, Aberaeron on Cardigan Bay is much less developed. If you wanted to stay in Wales' second city, Swansea, you would be in easy reach of Gower.

My personal preference is the totally unspoilt North Pembrokshire coast.

If you should want any more info please get in touch.

Colin

Since when have they had a University in Carmarthen?!?

I have had the dubious pleasure of visiting the local hospital twice with broken collar bones, sustained when I was playing rugby as a teenager.

In addition to the aforementioned Laugharne, Gower Peninsula and Tenby (especially the first two), I would recommend the beautiful beaches of South Pembrokeshire, in particular Broad Haven (South), Barafundle and Freshwater West. Try a bracing walk across the cliff tops near Broad Haven/Barafundle before retiring to the St Govans Inn in picturesque Bosherston for excellent pub grub and a pint or three of London Fuller's Pride.

You can tell where I spent my family childhood holidays.........

Not sure about AC, but reading the descriptions of the local places around Carmarthen, I think I may pop down to this area myself in the next few weeks. Don't laugh, but him indoors is toying with the idea of getting a caravan. Talk about getting old before out time. :blink: Now we have the puppy to consider, it totally changes what we feel would be an idea holiday, and a trip to Carmarthen area, sounds very appealing.

Hey, you don't have to be old to have a caravan you know!

Back to Wales, AC, the Gower is indeed a lovely area. The Mumbles is an interesting place.
If you decide on the South West, I could go on forever. It just depends on what you are interested in.

I beg to differ Singspiel. My fella's elderly parents live in Swansea, and I love going there to visit them. There is a lovely area down by the harbour that has had massive investment with quality apartments which were all sold within weeks. We stay in a nice hotel right next to the sea, and are always impressed with it. The shopping centre is quite nice too (in walking distance from the harbour and hotel) with lots of new shops opening all the time. The new football stadium has also been built and Swansea is fast becoming one of the nicer cities in the UK.
Each to their own eh.

Originally posted by Diminuendo@May 31 2005, 08:45 AM
Hey, you don't have to be old to have a caravan you know!

I know, but he's swapped the Jag for a Vauxhall estate as well Dim.... and at this rate will soon be wearing hush puppies. :blink: B)

Don't get me wrong Swansea is beautiful. Its just when the lot from over the hill come over and lower the tone of the whole area. My fella used to live in Morriston. Right near the hospital.

If you look up the coastline from the hotel we stay in in Swansea Dim, you see the smoking chimneys of Port Talbot - which is not the nicest view. It is extremely industrialised and there always seems to be a smog moving out to sea from this area. I have never worked out what they are pumping into the air from these factories, but suffice to say I always wind the windows up when driving past on the M4, as the smell can sometimes be quite pungent. :blink:

Thank you all for your help so far. Some folleyer upper questions if you don't mind.

1. Is there a car ferry from Wales to SW England?
2. If heading to Cmthn from Rosslare would you go to Pembroke or Fishguard?
3. How long is the drive from Cardiff to Oxford?
4. From Cardiff to Holyhead?

AC

The answers I think as follows:-

1) No
2) Probably Fishguard - not much difference mileage wise, but route may be slightly easier. Ferry cost may be your deciding factor here.
3) Cardiff to Oxford approx 2 and a half hours depending on time of day.
4) Cardiff to Holyhead - if you take the scenic route - Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia National Park - about four and a half hours. You could go via the motorway network, M4, M5 and then M6, M56, but wouldn't recommend that way.

Have fun! :)

Never done Cardiff to Oxford myself, but I reckon you could do it in under 2 hours, let alone in 2.5 hours.......

Back