Caspian Cavier Gold Cup Cheltenham Sat Dec 15

A joy to watch.i give up on romain de senam and ought to follow DO and pack up horse racing..

And Bryony is as good as any jockey over fences.shes top class.

It seems most horses seems to want to run and/or jump for her, not unlike Sam Waley-Cohen. That's a huge plus. Same with Josie Gordon on the Flat. Brilliant to watch.

I'm sure I suggested at some point that that Nicholls should pull Frodon out to get the weights to rise so he could get a claimer on Romain de Senam :lo:

If you're going to get something wrong you may as well get it really,really wrong :lol:.

I'm not sure what to make of that performance at all. Initailly I watched it and thought.... pace kills ! After I've watched it back a few times I'm just not too sure that the race hasn't fallen to pieces. The eye catcher for me was Mr Medic who took the roots out of one late on but the way he travelled through the race makes me think he'd be well worth a try back down to the minimum trip.

Makes you wonder if he just wasn't right last spring or whether he's just better at this time of year.

I think when the race appears to fall apart because of the pace then we know we're dealing with proper horses. It takes class to keep up a strong pace. That's why I tend to rate these races so highly.

These races tend to take it out of the principals. I've just read the report and Gary Moore says of Baron Alco:

Although Baron Alco was unable to repeat his heroics of last month, he was far from disgraced in fourth, and trainer Gary Moore said: "Jamie said he felt a bit flat, so this race might have come a bit quick, but he still ran his heart out and ran a great race."

Last edited:
I'll check it out at some point. I wouldn't have thought he qualified for novice races but he does a have a high enough rating to be dangerous against genuine novices.

Edit - I've had a quick look. It is a Grade 1, not a novices' race. He has little chance unless it cuts up badly. If you can get NRNB fair enough.

Brain Power franked The Schloer Chase form nicely yesterday, albeit in a Grade 2 Novice Hurdle. He finished one place behind Forest Bihan back in fourth in The Schloer Chase. I do fancy Forest Bihan is going to deliver something special this season, but I have my doubts about whether this will be at Leopardstown. I will probably bide my time.

Last edited:
It looks like Frodon has taken his field out of their comfort zone.

To cut to the chase, he covered the first half of the race at 2-mile pace, pretty much matching Ozzie The Oscar who had set a decent pace in the shorter race. It looks like that's where the majority of the opposition lost it. They appeared to try to match the pace at their respective distances but couldn't keep it up and were done for some way out.

I don't know if exaggerated hold-up tactics would have helped but nothing came from the back either. Foxtail Hill got on to the heels of the chasing group at the top of the hill but that effort beat him.

Frodon was actually five lengths or so faster than Ozzie at one stage but from about a mile out was slowing down relative to the latter. He was 20-25 lengths slower through that stage.

I know from other [crude] sectional checks that it's normal for longer races to be run fairly close to the pace of shorter races only for them to be slower through the final stages so this isn't unusual but both races appear very strongly run to start with and only class horses can keep up that kind of pace.

Frodon obviously has two-mile pace about him.

Last edited:
Excellent work Des Cheers I hadn't had time to get around to looking into that race thats a great help. To some extent my initial reaction was, Pace Kills and that appears to have been the case.

Last edited:
Forest Bihan is winking at me.

This fella beat the ultra consistent Cloudy Dream as a novice, before beating another top horse in Simply Ned at Kelso last season, where he was giving away a few pounds in the weights.
He fell last time out, but is young enough at seven years of age to bounce back. I think he is very interesting if stepped up in trip for Saturday, on a mark of 150, currently at 25/1.

Forest Bihan entered at Wetherby next Thursday, he is second top rated behind Gino Trail... Operation Bihan gets a step closer then.

I'll be having £500 on the nose on Thursday.

Last edited:
So, does anyone know a bookie that will take more than £100 on this? I stopped playing the Betfair exchange when I had a losing streak a few years ago. I am guessing Betfair is the firm to back it with?

Last edited:
The bookie operation at Betfair won't take a bet off me or restricts me quite severely. I'm wary of the exchange and tend to be very selective about what I back there.

The chances are if someone is offering a good bit longer about Forest Bihan than the general price it's someone close to the horse looking to get some money for nothing.

Back