Celebration Mile

Zacinto was Sir Michael Stoute’s Guineas runner this year before injury ruled him out of the classic and he looks to continue upon living up to the profile today as he lines up in the Celebration Mile at Goodwood were he faces Godolphin’s new recruit Delegator in what looks to be a potential war between the two runners.

Zacinto is a 3 year old colt by Dansili who was crowned European champion sire of 2006 and recently covered over 81% of blacktype mares in 2008 a sign of how highly regarded he is. He is out of the mare Ithaca who came 2nd in the Prestige before finding her grade at listed level as a tree year old with a few placed efforts towards the end of her career, she is a half sister to Many Volumes a consistent tough 10 furlong runner and her mother was Reams Of Verse an Oaks winner in 1997 two bloodlines that Henry Cecil will be familiar with.

Sir Michael Stoute’s colt made his debut at Sandown in July but couldn’t have made more of a favourable impression, running noticeably green the Dansili colt found himself in 3rd position coming into the straight tracking the John Gosden pair out in front, Ryan Moore had momentarily shown Zacinto some cover just after the fake rail to settle him down before bringing him on the outside to challenge the leaders as he asserted his authority inside the final 2 furlongs to take the lead before running out strongly towards the finish line in what was an 8 length demolition and ultimately became 14-1 favourite for the Guineas.

Given a nice break there would be one more run of his two year old career which would see him compete in the Champagne stakes at Doncaster over 7 furlongs in which the ground was verging on the soft side a far different surface in what he won his maiden on. The task was set for Zacinto and he got very warm to post, Ryan Moore tracked the pacesetter Jazz Police before making an early move 3 furlongs out off what was a very slow pace, Zacinto quicken away from the field to lead inside the final furlong which would see him tire towards the line being beat by Aiden O’Brian’s more experienced Westphalia by a neck.

The Champagne race provided a sting in the tale despite the likeable display as Zacinto picked up an injury after the race and the yard were hit with more disappointment as their 2009 Guineas preparation was shattered when Zacinto picked up another injury early during the beginning of the season.

The return of Zacinto would come at Glorious Goodwood, a day much surrounded by the hype of Midday in the Nassau saw a return of a possible star in the making. The Premier Listed stakes had a touch of group class about it and the winner certainly was, the conditions were horrendous with a mini monsoon and a descending mist upon the track that made in running viewing terrible difficult but what emerged from the mist that day was Zacinto, held up off a strong gallop set by Ocean Minstrel and Hartley Ryan Moore sat 4th last before ominously picking up the gears inside the final 3 furlongs were by this time all his rivals were well commited. The field began to come back to Zacinto bar the front runner Hartley who had the lead coming into the final furlong but it wasn’t long before the famous khalid Abdulla were in sight as Zacinto ate the ground up to battle out a hard fought win.

Many people have said that physically Zacinto is a fine sight to look at which is just another plus point in regards to his overall profile but what an effort he pulled out a Goodwood in a time that undoubtedly puts him as a genuine Group 2/3 miler. The horse will come on a ton for that run especially given his action doesn’t suggest soft ground is within his liking but what I like about Zacinto and other horses alike is the way they are intelligent to their surroundings by being aware of when the pace is increasing and naturally picking up the gears in what visually is a master class of teamwork between horse and jockey.

In relation to his dams bloodline there is a strong stamina influence that suggests there might be options to try him over further in future, this influence has certainly come out when running on desperate ground such as Doncaster and Goodwood but I fear for Delegator today who was worn down by a similar stamina influenced horses in Mastercraftsman and Sea The Stars who’ve gone on to better things over further, the ticker on the bomb will be going for Delegator when he is pushed every single blade of grass in that final furlong by Zacinto and I wouldn’t put money on him fighting Sir Michael Stoute’s runner.

Zacinto - 3.10 Goodwood 2/1

Last edited:
Punting Zacinto is a leap of faith. Faith in reputations relating to horse and trainer. This has to be one of the worst 7/4 shots around. The bookies must love punters who go in on bets like these but opinion makes the market and there must be enough with the faith to keep it so short. Good luck to them.

Delegator looks almost bullet-proof. Almost. However, in terms of pure value, Cesare at 16/1 stands out a mile. I've not been keeping tabs on the betting leading up to this and I was gobsmacked to see the price this morning. The mega-disappointment is that only seven runners means only two places for ew punters. Still, there is a chance Ces can win (if Del is below form) so I've gone against my normal 'rules' and punted him ew. I thought about taking 10/3 place-only but I'd rather wait and see if a 'without the fav' market emerges.

On his day, Cesare is way ahead of all of the others (ie bar the favourite).

i just can't see Delegator being beaten today. His form just stands out compared to the others. I don't believe that there is a Sea the Stars or Mastercraftsman or anything remotely approaching them among his opposition.

Mind you, the last one I regarded as a sure thing was Sariska at York.

Tempted to place lay Delegator. 1.25 and only two places.

You are basically betting 3/1 that Godolphin have had time to extract their usual negative improvement.

The difference is though that Delegator's form for his old yard makes him a justifiably short price. Could the same be said of Urban Poet? Not for me.

Slight worry to see Urban Poet run so poorly on his first run since being transferred to Godolphin.

More than slight I'd say... same when Evasive transferred first time out for Godamawful.

Don't know what it is that Bin Suroor does to them, but it's nothing good.

Last edited:
You are basically betting 3/1 that Godolphin have had time to extract their usual negative improvement.

Exactly. Everything has to be in your favour when backing odds-on - and the Godolphin involvement has to be a worry. It's a no bet race for me.

Exactly. Everything has to be in your favour when backing odds-on - and the Godolphin involvement has to be a worry. It's a no bet race for me.

I couldn't have a bet in this either. Delegator must win... but whether he will or not, I couldn't say.

The slow time played to his absolute strengths. Quickened well and was the best of this Group 2 field (as seemed evident before the race). Thankfully the 'negative improvement' factor was not one. Beacon Lodge caught my eye though. He was finishing better than anything.

The slow time played to his absolute strengths. Quickened well and was the best of this Group 2 field (as seemed evident before the race). Thankfully the 'negative improvement' factor was not one. Beacon Lodge caught my eye though. He was finishing better than anything.

Beacon Lodge caught my eye too. Thing is, he'll almost certainly have caught the handicapper's too and he'll end up stuck with difficult tasks. Shame.

I reckon his form falls some way short of Goldikova's.

I think the style of racing in America and Santa Anita will suit him perfectly. His form falls so far short of Goldikova partly due to the number of chances she has had against top class opposition...he has not had those opportunities. At around 10/1 I think he is good value for the Breeders Cup.

Think the pace was so false that it makes any run behind meaningless.

Yes. All today showed was that Delegator has the best turn of foot, which we knew anyway. It also suggests, though, that Beacon Lodge also has a right good finish off a slow pace, which will stand him in good stead in his own class.

Back