Champion Hurdle 2014

About time this thread started
2 mile hurdling this season is going to be the the dogs nads.
Wonder where The New One starts off.

Appears as if Our Conor will have a prep in the Irish Cesarewitch before a likely showdown with the Hurricane in the Morgiana

Hurricane Fly routinely below his best in his season-opener. We could be looking at a double-figure price for Chelts after the Morgiana - especially if Our Conor goes to Punchestown with a recent run under his belt.

William Hill have Binocular priced at 20/1 for the 2014 Champion Hurdle.

WTF are they on about? He's a 20's chance on the day getting a two-furlong start.

At first glance Jezki is the one you look at and thing his price could move downwards if he can put it together in the Morgiana. My hunch though is that Punchestown is often the weakest form from the spring Festivals.

I backed My Tent Or Yours for this after the Supreme last year. Now they know he doesn't want holding on to and will find, I expect him to get to the Festival this season unbeaten.

My Tent or Yours will win, and it will be the highest rated Champion hurdle win in years.

Grasshopper will be found crying afterwards, muttering if only the Fly was still in his pomp etc.

He could be all of that, Hamm, and he certainly beat Jezki on merit.
However, he didn't quite last home in the Supreme, and you'd fear for him against more experienced horses - if the ground were similarly soft, this season.

I just watched the Supreme again and he got home extremely well, unless you are suggesting all the others bar the winner didn't stay either? :p

He could be all of that, Hamm, and he certainly beat Jezki on merit.
However, he didn't quite last home in the Supreme, and you'd fear for him against more experienced horses - if the ground were similarly soft, this season.

Jezki might have been a bit rusty having not had a prep for the race. I like them both.

The Supreme went against MTOY, Ruby outriding AP. Faster pace/quicker ground I do think the Henderson creature wins comfortable.

Last edited:
I just watched the Supreme again and he got home extremely well, unless you are suggesting all the others bar the winner didn't stay either? :p

Aye, that'd be why he went on to Aintree, while the 3rd went to Punchestown. :)

:lol:
Jezki might have been a bit rusty having not had a prep for the race. I like them both.

The Supreme went against MTOY, Ruby outriding AP. Faster pace/quicker ground I do think the Henderson creature wins comfortable.

Fran Berry seemed to think there were no excuse for Jezki.
Ruby knew he was on the stronger stayer, and used it - setting probably the strongest pace of the whole Festival. Certainly attained the highest t/s figure.

Hamm
Never?:lol:

Last edited:
:lol:

Fran Berry seemed to think there were no excuse for Jezki.
Ruby knew he was on the stronger stayer, and used it - setting probably the strongest pace of the whole Festival. Certainly attained the highest t/s figure.

They went a very moderate gallop throughout, Champagne Fever perfectly placed at the front. I imagine the topspeed figure was good because the principals were not slowing as the hill arrived. An Al Ferof anchored at the rear would have had no chance in this renewal.

"They went a very moderate gallop throughout" but ran the fastest time of the whole meeting (by 4secs, ffs)?
You're beginning to sound like Hamm!:D

"They went a very moderate gallop throughout" but ran the fastest time of the whole meeting (by 4secs, ffs)?

Whole meeting? There are only two races on that course over that distance and sure the Champion was 4secs slower but they crawled in that race.

Trainers thoughts

Grandouet - "We were careful with him last season, as in the past he has been so difficult to keep sound. He was in the process of running a big race in the Champion Hurdle until falling four out. We tried him over 2 1/2m at Aintree in April, but he did not stay the trip. He is Champion Hurdle class and has so much speed and something like the Christmas Hurdle would be on the agenda, but it all depends on where My Tent Or Yours runs."

My Tent Or Yours - "He enjoyed a fantastic first season over hurdles running consistently in the highest grade. His first two wins came in novice hurdles at Ascot in November and Huntingdon in January. On his next start at Newbury he impressively won the Grade 3 Betfair Hcp Hurdle by 5L. He then finished second in the Supreme Novices Hurdle behind Champagne Fever at the Cheltenham Festival in March. We then sent him to Aintree where he won the Grade 2 Novices Hurdle by 16L. He has since enjoyed a good summer break and will probably have the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle in December as his first major target. The next option looks likely to be the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton. The Champion Hurdle will also be on the agenda. When you see him at home he has the presence of a good horse and has always worked fantastically."

Courtesy of John Morris - Jumping Prospects - buy the book here £15 including postage and package http://jumpingprospects.co.uk/

Back