Champion Hurdle 2015

Top Notch would have trouble seeing over a fence let alone jump one :lol:

You never know but he doesn't look like he's a hurdler waiting to go chasing.

The problem isn't 3 good uns it's 4 if you are willing to forgive L'ami Serge's poor performance at Cheltenham when he never went a yard.

Peace and Co might be the best hurdler among them but he's also a lot bigger than Top Notch and more of a chasing type than him.

However I think he'll keep him and Hargam hurdling......step Top Notch up in trip and L'ami Serge will go chasing

This escaped me over the last few days re Hurricane

"I would like to go for the French Champion Hurdle with him and this looks like it could be the year to do it," the County Carlow handler told the Irish Times.
"There is Punchestown for him as well. If he's well in himself he could well take in both places."

The problem isn't 3 good uns it's 4 if you are willing to forgive L'ami Serge's poor performance at Cheltenham when he never went a yard.
Definitely not giving up on L'ami Serge. I know Barry said he didn't travel, but was quite badly hampered and did very well to finish 4th

Definitely not giving up on L'ami Serge. I know Barry said he didn't travel, but was quite badly hampered and did very well to finish 4th

Personally was disappointed. Although quite badly hampered it seemed early enough in the race to allow him to catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lami Serge was hampered at a crucial time in the race and the ones in front were gone. Didn't it beat killultagh vic earlier in the season?

L'Ami Serge almost certainly capable of better next season.

Top Notch well over 16 hands and not a pony by any stretch. He'll jump a fence. Or he would if was with Nicholls! :whistle:

They really didn't say much about why L'ami serge was never travelling after he was hampered.....could quite easily have hurt himself just enough to make him uncomfortable.

I certainly wouldn't want to be laying him if he runs again this season.

Last edited:
You'd like to think that they'd give all of the 4yos another season over hurdles to mature. Just a personal view that Top Notch might eventually achieve most. Are there grounds for thinking that L'Ami Serge might need soft ground to be seen at his best?

Quote Geraghty,
"Ran a bit flat in the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and I was on the back foot from when the flag was dropped. Given all that I think he did well to finish in fourth, ten lengths off the winner. It will be different when he comes alive".

You'd like to think that they'd give all of the 4yos another season over hurdles to mature. Just a personal view that Top Notch might eventually achieve most. Are there grounds for thinking that L'Ami Serge might need soft ground to be seen at his best?
breeding suggests he'd improve for better ground. think the supreme run shows he probably just wants further.

I'd definitely go with Peace and Co to show most improvement as he's not really filled out his frame yet according to BG.

I'd certainly be more in favour of backing him for next years Champion Hurdle than any of the other 3.

The only ting that is stopping me doing so now is WMP............when he says Douvan is going chasing 100% then I'll back Peace and CO

The problem is I am convinced Douvan is a better horse than Faugheen and he ran 3 horses in the race this year and he might just do the same again.

Douvan is massive at 4/1 even at this stage for the Arkle if that's where he's heading.that also worries me

The only ting that is stopping me doing so now is WMP............when he says Douvan is going chasing 100% then I'll back Peace and CO

Pretty much where I am. 12/1 is quite tidy and I'm not sure the Champion was all that from a form perspective.

I think he's got a physical problem. I was hoping the reason he jumped to the right at Haydock was due to the appalling ground. But at Cheltenham they fitter a pricker on him (a nasty little device which sits on the inside of the bit with sharp bristles and dissuades the horse from hanging that way). Why would you do that unless you knew he was going to hang that way? And if a horse is hanging, then he is doing so to get away from pain - most probably leg related. I would be scanning every part of him if he was mine as he may well have a more serious injury brewing.

probably one of the best posts in the history of Talking Horses.

Yep well spotted.....Damn shame for those involved.

Good to hear he won't need surgery

According to what I read he'll get a course of injections then they have to work him again to see if he is still feeling discomfort.

Then he needs complete rest up to about a year which would mean him missing all of next season if correct

Hope it's not as serious as that and he gets back much sooner.

probably one of the best posts in the history of Talking Horses.

I thank you!

Actually kissing spines are becoming detected more and more these days. Getting quite common within the riding horse community. Just pleased they have picked up on something and they are now in a position to rectify it.

From ATR
Hurricane Fly is set to take his chance in the French Champion Hurdle at Auteuil next Sunday.

The record-breaking 11-year-old has enjoyed another fabulous campaign, winning the Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown and the Ryanair Hurdle at Leopardstown before clinching an historic fifth victory in the Irish Champion Hurdle at the latter track in late January.

He had to make do with minor honours behind stable companion Faugheen in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham and found old foe Jezki too strong on his first attempt at three miles in the Ladbrokes World Series Hurdle at Punchestown, but is set to go to the well once more for champion trainer Willie Mullins.

The handler said: "He is in good form and at the moment he is heading for Auteuil next Sunday. "

Hurricane Fly will be making his first appearance in France in almost seven years in the Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil, a race Mullins won with Thousand Stars in 2011 and 2012.

Off to Paris today, and heading to Auteuil on Sunday....just in case this is The Fly's last hurrah on a racecourse.

It would be a fitting finale for a great horse. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend whatever the race result.

Back