Champions Day

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Looks a good card obviously. Few thoughts:

I took 33s about Vadamos for the big race after his win in Germany, mainly if I'm honest because of how effusive the master trainer was about him. It's a race to play in even without that bet as 10f and a short straight has to be against Jack Hobbs. I don't like AOB's 3yos this time of year and maybe The Corsican would be a play if there were some cut in the ground.

I think Solow is pretty overrated and like Kodi Bear in the QEII. Gleneagles would be a danger but it can't be ideal that he hasn't run since June and has been trained for other races.

In the Long Distance thing Agent Murphy likes the track and stayed on wll in the Irish Leger. I think anything around 5s is reasonable.

Really hope Gleneagles turns up. Would hack up on decent ground. Juice in the ground does bring Solow in to it.
Do like Kodi Bear who I think will be in the 3.

Really hope Found lines up in the Champion. Could give Jack Hobbs more than something to think about.

Not a vintage year for the Champion Stakes - Jack Hobbs looks too short unless they go very quick . Found may have too much toe .

Unless it dries out we will again be deprived of Gleneagles . Sprint and F and M look OK but a lousy field for the Long Distance Cup . They need to throw some money at that .

I took 33s about Vadamos for the big race after his win in Germany, mainly if I'm honest because of how effusive the master trainer was about him. .
Merry Me is of considerable interest in the Balmoral Handicap off 100 and due to carry 8:11, after being beaten five lengths by Vadamos, who I'm guessing is rated a fair bit higher.
If you go with the lb-a-length measurement then I'm pretty sure Merry Me is at least 7-10 pound well-in off 100, (I haven't seen precisely what Vadamos is rated as yet, but I'd guess its about 115?)

Last edited:
Merry Me is of considerable interest in the Balmoral Handicap off 100 and due to carry 8:11, after being beaten five lengths by Vadamos, who I'm guessing is rated a fair bit higher.
If you go with the lb-a-length measurement then I'm pretty sure Merry Me is at least 7-10 pound well-in off 100, (I haven't seen precisely what Vadamos is rated as yet, but I'd guess its about 115?)
That's not the only piece of form suggesting Merry Me is potentially worth a rating considerably higher than 100. You look at the previous race when Merry Me was a length behind Nakuti in a listed event at Pontefract...this form couldn't have worked out better...Nakuti a Group winner at Sandown afterwards...the third horse (behind Merry Me) called Pelerin won a listed race at Ascot and now rated 105...the fourth horse Rekdhat was five lengths behind Merry Me and has since run abroad in a group 3 race and finished second.
I'm pleased to announce that form is bombproof. :)
Fill yer boots each way peeps....

Last edited:
I've backed Sea Calisi in the Mares race. She ran like the best horse in the Yorkshire Oaks but was too far back and nothing was coming from behind and winning that week. She was also a fair bit back in the Vermeille which is a worry on a track like Ascot but I also feel she's better on decent ground. I might dutch her with Tapestry but would be more keen on her if she hadn't pointlessly run in the Arc.

Excellent 5 races in store, looking forward to it
The card looks a tough one to solve, last year was a doddle with the heavy ground
I'm keen to oppose Muharrar,possibly with Twilight Son,it's bound to be gd-sft and I don't think the former will appreciate it.

I'm keen to oppose Muharrar,possibly with Twilight Son,it's bound to be gd-sft and I don't think the former will appreciate it.

Dunno Fonz: he ran much his best 2yo race on similar ground in the Middle Park.
I'll take him on with Strath Burn though, who gave Twilight Son a good start in the Sprint Cup, yet would have done him in another stride. Twice the price of TS, too.

Dunno Fonz: he ran much his best 2yo race on similar ground in the Middle Park.
I'll take him on with Strath Burn though, who gave Twilight Son a good start in the Sprint Cup, yet would have done him in another stride. Twice the price of TS, too.

on my calculations the Haydock race was run too swiftly not suiting those near the pace..TS comes out as a 4lb better hoss than strathburn if the race had been run efficiently..basically strathburn had a far better trip than TS. Other on pace hosses were beaten 5l+..two of them have come out and won since..other on pace hosses finished nearer last than first. TS was the best horse in the race and ran the biggest sprint figure of the season. I personally wouldn't back S to beat TS..but its horse racing after all..and reverses happen daily...but on the evidence they have shown in that race TS is the better animal by about 4lb

Last edited:
Somebody who posts on a non racing forum elsewhere has a strong link to the Candy stable and has said since day one that they rate TS higher than Limato. I'm all over TS each way.

Somebody who posts on a non racing forum elsewhere has a strong link to the Candy stable and has said since day one that they rate TS higher than Limato. I'm all over TS each way.

i get TS the better of the two..too:)...we not seen yet the best of TS..potentially a mid 120's sprinter maybe..not many of them about

I rate Agent Murphy a decent bet in the first, Forgotten Rules probably the forgotten horse but on this type of ground don't think hel beat Agent Murphy.

I think there is a big day in Tapestry as well, she has heaps of ability and hasn't had the chance to show it for one reason or another. I will be giving her one last chance.

Covering my Sea Calisi bet with her. Really keen on Doumen's filly but worry that she gets too far behind in her races. Do not want a Gret Gatsby POW scenario.

There's a fine filly, by name Simple Verse...
Won the leger with a reverse

She beat the objections
Because of connections

Beating boats in a Leger is a different kettle of fish than some top class mares over 12f at Ascot. Easily passed over.

i get TS the better of the two..too:)...we not seen yet the best of TS..potentially a mid 120's sprinter maybe..not many of them about

That's good to know that your speed figures are backing that up. Horse owes me nothing after its last win at big odds, but I'll keep following it and the fact it seems pretty versatlie ground wise is a bonus.

Back