Champions Day

The Balmoral Handicap

The first thing that struck me when I looked at this race was how easy it should be to find a solid selection in it as although its a 20 runner handicap at first glance it looked like there were plenty who you'd think have had enough punishment from the handicapper.

Starting from the top then.

Chil the kite,Balty Boys,GM Hopkins and Bronze Angel all absolutely cracking types but surely in terms of actually winning handicaps off there current marks it's asking way too much. They may well run gallant races but they really look up against it.

Belgian Bill only ever won as high as 100 and off 105 here and always best after a break surely he's out.

Rene Mathis will firstly need it softer than its likely to be tomorrow and is another who's been around long enough and needs a career best. Also has a poor record at the track and just to put the final nail in the coffin is stepping up to the mile for the first time on his 29th run.

Master of the world. This may seem to some like a strange one to rule out if you watched the Cambridgeshire. I had a lot of questions to answer after that race but the biggest one I asked was how the hell did this yak finish second. Rogue result ? Absolute form forgery ? A vat of Shergars DNA injected into it a few moments before the off ? Martian intervention ? As long as I live I'll never understand it. If I'd only ever seen him run in that Cambridgeshire I'd think he was a good bet as he'd look to be suited by a drop back in trip and in a race where he won't get much competition for the lead everything would look to be set here for a massive run but that run was just so out of kilter with the rest of his form. His best runs have come at Newmarket (that was by far the best) and they've come over further than 1m. He's been well held off much lower marks over a mile and on that basis I'd have to rule him out.

Spark Slug ! Has ability but also has a tendency to want to give everything a 10 length head start and drawn where there doesn't seem to be much pace will not help. Binned!

Sacrificial. Third at R.A not a bad effort off 93 raised 5lb for that and the won a race back home, raised another 8lb. From the handicaps I've seen in Ireland this year our horses seem to have been at a massive advantage when we've gone over and although he's progressive 13lb higher than when 3rd at R.A does not look appealing especially when he's been beaten at home off this mark since. Hard to see how he wins this.Out!

Farlow has been well held by a few of these off lower marks. 4 or 5 tries at a mile without a win again all from lower marks than this he certainly seems better over 7f and he was mushed by Buckstay and co on his latest outing. Gone!

Ayaar won like a good thing back in the spring first time up. Well held on 4 tries since and fluffed the start latest.Bye.

Professor. Sprinter dicking about at a mile.

That's 12 of 20 gone without even breaking a sweat. In my current form thats probably the first 12 home headed by Master of the friggin world!

I'm not going to go through the remaining 8 or 9 hopefuls (9th being reserve Man of Harlech who'd have a squeak,I'm hoping he doesn't get in or the ones below for that matter) but I'd better just quickly give mentions to Cambridgeshire disappointments Halation and Donncha. Both of these I'm sure are nice types and will win more races as I still believe they have some in hand of there handicap marks. Halation you could argue that his last 2 runs have been over further and dropping back to the mile will suit. His last 2 runs over the mile have really worked out well that being the reason I did my spuds on him at Newmarket. The problem is though his last two runs have been completely lifeless and having been on the go all year round he just looks in need of a good break. At his best when able to come off a strong pace and there doesn't seem much on his side although they could all go down the middle his draw isn't the best place to be if they do. His better form has also been either on All weather tracks or rattling fast ground which tomorrow its not so although its hard to give up on one I think has pounds in hand I think he's best left until next year. Donncha on the other hand I could make a slightly perkier case for. Drawn on the wrong side in the Cambridgeshire didn't help and also the 9f might have been stretching stamina a bit far. I also feel that having a break before the race might have taken the edge off him and he might be better for the run. Ran a cracker to be 3rd here over 7f behind Heavens guest and Balty boys (better off with that rival) and that was on ground probably softer than ideal and he's only 1lb higher here. There are certainly worse bets in the race than this fella.

The one who beams out for me though and I rate as a strong fancy is Musaddas 14/1. He is by no means straight forward but its clear to me when looking through his last 3 runs that he certainly has a win in him off his current mark. He's run a blinding race in the Cambridgeshire from the wrong side only beaten by Portage in his group and only just headed in the latter stages by him so the drop back to a mile looks in his favour. He also seemed either at odds with the track or failing that he is just a nutcase. On this occasion he was trying his third type of headgear in as many starts as they refitted the hood.

Prior to this he ran in a visor for the first time at York he got very lit up pulling very hard ruined his chances but that taken into account he still ran a fair race.

More importantly though is the headgear for tomorrow he reverts to cheek pieces which he has worn twice before resulting in a win and a second place. The 2nd place at York is the race that points to me that he has the talent to take this event down tomorrow. The race really needs to be watched to get the full grasp of what I'm saying but he came from a terrible position out the back when it paid to be handy and despite being mucked about down the straight he absolutely flew home to grab 2nd. He's only 1lb higher tomorrow but has Ed Greatrex up who claims 2lb more than what Kevin Stott did at York so effectively he's 1lb better off. The form has worked out alright with the 3rd You're Fired winning since and Birdman (the winner) has run well enough off his higher mark since and taking into account he really had the run of the race against Musaddas. With a little more luck in running, a straight track and some badly handicapped rivals he looks a stunning bet to me at 14/1 with Bet 365 12/1 generally.

Last edited:
The Balmoral Handicap

Sacrificial. Third at R.A not a bad effort off 93 raised 5lb for that and the won a race back home, raised another 8lb. From the handicaps I've seen in Ireland this year our horses seem to have been at a massive advantage when we've gone over and although he's progressive 13lb higher than when 3rd at R.A does not look appealing especially when he's been beaten at home off this mark since. Hard to see how he wins this.Out!

He ran an absolute stormer from the wrong side of the track at Ascot, wuld have pissed it if he'd been with the action. 13lbs is a fair hike but I don't think his runs since have relevance, they weren't big field events with strong paces like this one is.

That's a fair point Euro so he's won his race on his side well but a 5lb rise is more than what the average winner is risen so I think the handicapper has took that into account. His races over there I take your point don't have much relevance but they do in the way that he's been risen 8lb for a win and I think the winning distance over the second flatters him slightly. None of those in behind have done anything since so in effect has he been risen 8lb for beating a bunch of Yaks ? He obviously has some sort of chance or he wouldn't be favourite . I suppose the way I've put it across is that he has no chance at all when really he does but I just feel he's up against it. Could be wrong, usually am but I appreciate the feedback and the fact you actually took the time to read my post (always surprised by that) thanks ;)

That's a fair point Euro so he's won his race on his side well but a 5lb rise is more than what the average winner is risen so I think the handicapper has took that into account. His races over there I take your point don't have much relevance but they do in the way that he's been risen 8lb for a win and I think the winning distance over the second flatters him slightly. None of those in behind have done anything since so in effect has he been risen 8lb for beating a bunch of Yaks ? He obviously has some sort of chance or he wouldn't be favourite . I suppose the way I've put it across is that he has no chance at all when really he does but I just feel he's up against it. Could be wrong, usually am but I appreciate the feedback and the fact you actually took the time to read my post (always surprised by that) thanks ;)

He was in my tracker after Ascot so find it hard to leave off him given I missed backing him at Galway, especially with him having optimum conditions tomorrow. 8/1 is not brilliant I concede but I kind of almost ignore a beefy hike in the weights if I know my horse loves a big field handicap Bronze Angel styley.

Well he certainly looks more straight forward than my fella mine will more than likely do something resembling a river dance across the track.

Hope they tell Ed to hold on tight.

Beating boats in a Leger is a different kettle of fish than some top class mares over 12f at Ascot. Easily passed over.

I'm not sure I would dismiss her as easily. I think she'll run well.
That said, had Sea Calisi in mind for this race for ages so won't desert now.

Yeah. Big day for me to end the season.

Strong on Agent Murphy, will top my 6s tomorrow.
Sea Calisi with cover on Tapestry
I'm doing Kodi Bear may cover on Territories.
Vadamos a decent bet. Have around 18s with all the topping up since I got 33s
Sacrificial

Last edited:
Probably taking Forgotten rules in the Boat race,Strathburn in the sprint and Found in the Champion Stakes nothing major will throw them in a multi with Musaddas and hope for the best.

I'll be a Saddass when they all bomb out :(

Will settle for the place pot on these.
Forgotten Rules,
Sea Calisi,
Kodi Bear,
Found.

this time of year though..it depends on the track..how that changes in a few days..ascot dries well..so it could be GF by saturday..whereas it could still be GS at such as donny

looks like a lot of guesswork for very little..far better to bet on the day imo..when you know the going

This time of year it's very unlikely to be g/f at Ascot - even with a dry week the sun isn't beating down like it is in June. And my main fancies, Sea Calisi and Agent Murphy, are pretty versatile ground wise. Imo it's a risk worth taking knowing I'm getting better prices earlier in the week.

O'Brien to make call tomorrow regards Gleneagles. Walked it today. It's borderline, parts of it are good and parts are soft side of good.

this time of year though..it depends on the track..how that changes in a few days..ascot dries well..so it could be GF by saturday..whereas it could still be GS at such as donny

looks like a lot of guesswork for very little..far better to bet on the day imo..when you know the going

I reckoned on Musaddas being fine on anything from gd-sft upwards which is why I put him up. I suppose I have done exactly what you say every time I placed an Ante-post bet and it is a bit ridiculous when you think about it. It really caught me out one year at Cheltenham where I had huge ante post investments by my standards going into the last day and we had that monsoon the year our Connor won the triumph and although I'd held really good positions going into the day as soon as I saw him cross the line with Bryan Cooper's face splattered in mud I knew I'd really done my spuds. I've been a bit more cautious since. I know you say wait until the day but even then EC1 how many going descriptions do you think are given correctly ? I've heard many of you figure guys correct the going after the event anyway and you can't do that prior to the race can you ? Fair point though all the same.

i tend to time the first Danny..i usually have a good idea within a few lbs of what the going is..especially if i can take a sectional...i now check the wind direction off weather map in the morning as well for courses i'm interested in...doesn't take much of a head or tailwind to throw times out

Last edited:
Was surprised the Racing Post comments have said Merry Me's mark looks tough.
She is in there just 4 pound above the bottom weight on 8:11, and as I wrote previously, she's very well in.
We shall find out how badly handicapped she is at 3:45 tomorrow.
It's a race that could bite me on the arse from numerous angles.
Spark Plug is a horse I fancied a few times this year, Professor is in the race who I fancied two weeks ago...but I can't back them all! I enjoy Danny's write up's but he didn't mention Merry Me at all which was surprising?

Good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Was surprised the Racing Post comments have said Merry Me's mark looks tough.
She is in there just 4 pound above the bottom weight on 8:11, and as I wrote previously, she's very well in.
We shall find out how badly handicapped she is at 3:45 tomorrow.
It's a race that could bite me on the arse from numerous angles.
Spark Plug is a horse I fancied a few times this year, Professor is in the race who I fancied two weeks ago...but I can't back them all! I enjoy Danny's write up's but he didn't mention Merry Me at all which was surprising?

Good luck to all of you.

Glad you enjoy them Marble. I was really trying to mention those I'd rule out so the fact Merry Me wasn't mentioned is hopefully a positive for you. I spent a fair bit of time looking at Merry me and some form lines concerning her when I was going through the Cambridgeshire. I have to be honest I wouldn't be rating her through Vadamos and I don't really agree she has as much in hand as you have her. I take on board what you said about the Nakuti form line from Pontefract and Pelerin that has worked out fairly well although it should be noted that Nakuti won a fillies race when she was put into an open handicap she was unsighted ( Could be various reasons for this). Also looked into the Epsom line, Epsom lover Gratzie was well handicapped when getting the better of Merry me and Abseil had run a cracker prior to finishing 3rd In that.

I think she has a decent shout.She hasn't seen too much racing this term so is relatively fresh and has run consistently well in good solid races but I'm just not quite as keen as you.

Best of luck Marb and if Musaddas does throw a wobbler then I'd be happy to see Merry Me pick up the pieces ;)

Very diplomatic Danny ha. :) Good luck with yours.
BTW, I'd urge you's to look left-field in the fillies and mares with Beautiful Romance, I can see her running a big race. She's so lightly raced and obviously has ability.

I feel the main contenders have all been on the go too long, literally all season (apart from Tapestry who I don't fancy anyway), and a fresh pair of legs could land the spoils, hence why I like Beautiful Romance (put a line through her last run at Longchamp).
She can put a big effort in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Going up country soon to get the windows, internal walls and ceilings, electrical work and some tiling done on the house we started last year.

The Plan is Jack Hobbs will pay for it :cool:

Back