Cheltenham 2019 Festival Going & Weather

Forecast from Fri 8th onwards

A fine day for many on Friday, although there will be some showers in the north and east, these will possibly be wintry on the hills. It will probably cloud over from the west later on Friday, with a spell of wet and windy weather spreading to most parts on Saturday, before clearing to sunshine and showers on Sunday. Staying unsettled into next week with further showers or longer spells of rain and strong winds at times, with gales in places. It will be turning colder, with any showers turning wintry at times, especially in the north. It continues unsettled into the middle of the month, with further spells of wet and windy weather at times, which will be interspersed by brighter, colder and showery interludes.

Metcheck predicting strongest winds on Sunday but predicted amounts of wind and rain change every day. Does Simon still have his private forecasts from John Kettley?

Much rain overnight lads?

Edit: obviously there was, going has it as good/soft soft in places.

e6086dc845f215a5f7b23bc7cf40d134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The forecasts all differ but Metcheck only has 1.5mm rain in the lead up to next Tuesday.

Claisse expecting another 17mm. Certainly looks far from the good ground they’ve been racing on over the winter.

c90d6ea849cfab50a7b987fe258eca05.jpg

Last edited:
Latest daily rain forecast (Accuweather/Metcheck in mm).

Fri 2.2/0.2
Sat 0.0/1.0
Sun 2.2/0.2
Mon 0.0/0.0
Tue 7.5/2.8
Wed 2.8/3.9
Thu 2.0/0.1
Fri 2.4/7.7

I am in Cheltenham today and I can tell you that there is going to be more than 2mm of rain recorded. It’s been pissing down

This wind is becoming a real concern. Wednesday especially.

Strong Northwesterly winds predicted with a yellow warning in place. In terms of the racecourse, how would northwesterly winds affect the horses. In other words would they be running into a head wind up the straight or have it at their back or would it be across the course?

I’m more concerned about what happened a few years ago when racing was cancelled for spectator safety. It’s these tents that get erected which become vulnerable and potentially dangerous.

At their back mostly, problem is the racecourse being in a valley has a micro system all of it's own and wind will be swirling all around. Remember The Thinker's Gold Cup and the snow sweeping up from the Tewksbury area ?

I’m more concerned about what happened a few years ago when racing was cancelled for spectator safety. It’s these tents that get erected which become vulnerable and potentially dangerous.

I was there for that, 2007 I think. Punjabis Champion Hurdle. Surely they’ve learned a lesson from that tho.

I was there for that, 2007 I think. Punjabis Champion Hurdle. Surely they’ve learned a lesson from that tho.

If memory serves me right the winds were a lot stronger then than are forecast for next week.

Last edited:
Listening to Paul Nolan on RTE radio 1 this morning they do not know yet which ferry will carry them tonight; Dublin or Rosslare.
Wonder if any irish runners are drifting due to this.
Countrywide farming programme came from his yard this morning and is worth a listen.

2008. I was booked into hospitality for the Thursday and saw our tent totally destroyed on the Tuesday evening news. The racecourse did a fantastic job moving everything around and we were treated to a 10 race card on the Thursday

Back