Cheltenham 2021/22

Impossible to know what rating he'll be given though.

Was last rated 131 in that sphere but that was over 3 years ago and he was running over c. 3 miles back in those days.

I watched a few of the older Charlie Halls on Twitter/Youtube and remembered back to how in my youth, I would cross off the weekends until this weekend and the beginning of the jumps.
Older now, its all nostalgia, and then that little buzz when you see Zanayhir and then Vanillier vs Beacon Edge tomorrow. You'd miss the jumps all the same.

Impossible to know what rating he'll be given though.

Was last rated 131 in that sphere but that was over 3 years ago and he was running over c. 3 miles back in those days.

It certainly won't be his chase rating, I reckon he might get 150 at most, which means he's potentially still "well in".

Last edited:
It certainly won't be his chase rating, I reckon he might get 150 at most, which means he's potentially still "well in".

Assume we're talking about Sky Pirate?

Currently 159 over fences, I'll be very surprised if they come in with anything below 150 for him. I wouldn't be surprised if they just translated his chase OR straight across with no adjustment at all.

Assume we're talking about Sky Pirate?

Currently 159 over fences, I'll be very surprised if they come in with anything below 150 for him. I wouldn't be surprised if they just translated his chase OR straight across with no adjustment at all.

Well, the they didn't go like for like with the Shunter last year did they ratings wise.

Last edited:
The Shunter didn't have a chase rating to go off going into the Greatwood did he ?. At least, as far as I know.

His HRI rating after the Greatwood was only 132 (won Greatwood off a BHA rating of 128) so it's unlikely to have been higher than 128 even if he did.

Last edited:
The point I'm trying to make (obviously very badly) is that he (Sky Pirate) he is likely to be well in compared to his Chase rating, even if he gets a mark of 150.

I'm pretty sure he was entered for the County Hurdle and when the weights were published was given a mark of 147.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying Tiggers but he's never run close to this short a trip over hurdles and while an estimated mark of 150 would see him 9lbs well in compared to his chase form you're assuming he can convert his 2m chase form to hurdles and there'll no doubt be others capable of finding that sort of improvement.

I'm not saying he couldn't win off 150 but he'd be second top weight and if Buzz doesn't run he'd be giving 3lb to the field, which would be no mean task.

To be fair he hadn't run anywhere near this sort of trip over fences until December last year!

I just get the feeling he's hit his ceiling over fences, he's not a Grade 1 animal so they are thinking of trying to exploit a more favourable mark over hurdles. (Master Tommytucker tomorrow at Wetherby another example).

Of the UK entries he was the most standout to me, I'd imaging the winner is probably lurking over the pond.

I'm pretty sure he was entered for the County Hurdle and when the weights were published was given a mark of 147.

147 in March compared to his chase mark of 152, so the chances are his improvement will be reflected in his hurdles mark. I'd expect the mark to be about 5lbs below his chase mark, so probably around 154.

Very few horses, especially at the top level, are able to run to the same mark at both codes.

Is it possible for someone to post the RP stable tour quote for Ashdale Bob (Jessica Harrington)? Interested if she sees him as a 3m type or whether he'll stick to middle distances and be targeted at the Marsh.

He's about three weeks off a run. He surprised me last year because we always knew he wanted very soft ground but then he ran blinders to win at Fairyhouse and finish second in a Grade 1 at Punchestown on nicer ground. He had a tendency to be keen but when he relaxed he was very good. With another summer under his belt, we think we'll see a more professional horse over fences this term. I think he'll start off in a 2m4f beginners' chase and I wouldn't be in a rush to step him up to three miles. He could develop into a good novice.

I'm keeping an eye on Cocunut Splash for the Paddy Power, as his second to Chantry House at Wetherby last February reads very well now.

Chantry House now on a mark of 162, Cocunut Splash on a workable mark of 137. He's a second season chaser and you'd hope he's trained on too.

He's been entered for a grade 2 novice chase at Wincanton this weekend aswell.

Last edited:
Sky Pirate was given a revised hurdle mark of 151. Can he be competitive off that when there are two Irish ones that are probably a stone or more well in if they get a run?

Back