Cheltenham 2021/22

Good news Art. I'd suggest either the usual spot under the steps by the Manadarin, or the Hall of Fame Concourse which would be a bit warmer, and probably easier for everyone to find? In fact the latter is probably best I'd suggest.

I'd imagine if there's a few of us there it would probably be best to do something on Saturday before racing? The first race is 12.30, so I'd suggest maybe 11.45, unless that's too early for everyone? Better before racing though as people tend to forget or lose track of time after a few drinks when we've organised stuff in the past.

I'm sure a few of us will catch up again over the course of meeting, but at least those that don't know each other can say hello and put faces to names they don't already know.

Have a good time there guys, gutted I won't be there but will be on the Tuesday of the festival so hopefully catch up with people then.

Have a good time there guys, gutted I won't be there but will be on the Tuesday of the festival so hopefully catch up with people then.

That's a must do then Lee. There's usually a good turnout of members on the Tuesday.

I really must get back down to one of these meetings one of these days.

Hows the accommodation situation at the moment? It used to be nigh on impossible to get anything decent with reasonable notice. If I thought I could get somewhere decent I'd probably try harder to talk Mrs O into letting me off the leash for a long weekend :cool:

Me and Digger are staying in a rather splendid art-deco apartment near the top of Albert Road (ten-minute walk to the track, max - depending on our state of disrepair) courtesy of our friend Mel's mum; who very kindly fu*cks-off to her canal-boat in Shropshire for a few days, and gives us the run of the place whenever we come down for a meeting.

I believe Maruco will play the part of 'bordello towel-boy' at Frontrunner's place in Oxfordshire, for the duration of the meeting.

I'm researching possibilities for the December International meeting.

Looks like flying into Bristol might be my best option other than driving down on the Thursday and up on the MOnday.

Any car-sharing schemes etc in operation between Bristol and Cheltenham?

Any other travel tips?

Upon further research, it looks like I can get 4 nights all-inclusive 4* in Benidorm for the same or less, and can just watch the racing in a bar :lol::cool:

I'm researching possibilities for the December International meeting.

Looks like flying into Bristol might be my best option other than driving down on the Thursday and up on the MOnday.

Any car-sharing schemes etc in operation between Bristol and Cheltenham?

There's plenty of hotels for the December meeting at the moment Mo. My better half is with me for that meeting and we're staying at The Queens.

Any other travel tips?

Coconut Splash taken out of the Paddy Power betting as he's been declared for a race this Wednesday.

Looking again, I'm interested in Farinet for Venetia Williams.

Anyone have an opinion on the merits of its French form?

Ps, I know he likes to front run and lead, which although doesn't automatically mean he'll win, but at least means I'm a bit more likely to get a good run for my money, than backing some horse who wants to be held up every time.

Last edited:
All, I'm arriving at BHAM at 7.15am Saturday. If anybody is in the vicinity at that time and wants to share cost on a taxi/car to Chelt let me know.

I like Editeur du Gite in the 2m handicap chase on Friday. He went too fast at Ascot and jumped noticeably to his left so I think Cheltenham will suit him. Was 6/1 with Powers yesterday.

The train is 3x more expensive than a return flight Glasgow-Bristol.

If Boris wanted to curry favour with the Scots he could always allow our bus passes to be valid throughout the UK :p

Stay in Bristol and get the train to Cheltenham, that's what we used to do, and booking in advance as much as possible should help. Booking sing;es usually cheaper than returns if you can pick your times.

Had it confirmed by Cross Country trains earlier that the gargle ban on trains is a thing of the past, and that you can take drink onto the train with you, rather than spend a fiver on a warm can of Stella from the Buffet Car.

Looking forward to the 6-hour journey on Thursday (less so, the 6-hour journey home on Sunday).

I like Editeur du Gite in the 2m handicap chase on Friday. He went too fast at Ascot and jumped noticeably to his left so I think Cheltenham will suit him. Was 6/1 with Powers yesterday.

Agreed, my only reservation here would be that Stolen Silver is likely to run too and they may get into a cockfight for the lead.

Last edited:
Why is a private jet cheaper than an economy train ticket in GB?

It was £175 return Edinburgh Waverley/Cheltenham Spa, which I thought was reasonable (not that I would be in any way an expert on train prices.....or indeed anything else).

Back