Cheltenham 2023 antepost

Stayers Hurdle, not Pertemps. It will be very winnable next year as I'd have to assess this year's as below average, Paisley Park way too close up.

Dunno about that, Euro. I'll assess it in due course but I reckon FP is a real top notcher.

PP was beaten less than 3 lengths though. To me the third in the spud race is a similar type and ran a similar race - he was thumped 10 lengths. I just think a top notcher would beat a 10yo on the decline by a lot more.

Yeah was just going on what the RP said..I will watch the replay myself in a bit.

Ahoy a work in progress for sure.

Watched it again. Two or three minor mistakes during the race but nothing to be overly worried about.

Hits a flat spot and looks for a second like he might finish fifth or six but his engine kicks in well to keep on for second.

The winner hasn't been beaten over fences and it'll be interesting to see how he performs next season aswell.

I suppose at current odds I would rather take 20s each way on Ahoy Senor than 10s win on L Homme Press but thats just my personal preference.

Last edited:
PP was beaten less than 3 lengths though. To me the third in the spud race is a similar type and ran a similar race - he was thumped 10 lengths. I just think a top notcher would beat a 10yo on the decline by a lot more.

Well he gave decent types 15 lengths of a start and beat them last time. I think he's still a mid-160s hurdler and I thought there was more to the performance [FP's] than the bare result. I thought he won more than cosily.

Probably a bit left field, but Ahoy Senor actually ran a good race to finish second to Le Homme Presse given the rain came that day and his best form is on better going.

That was only his fifth or six run over fences from memory and I feel he is still a work in progress.

I heard concerns about how he would handle the track and looking at the Racing Post it says he was unfluent during his race.

He can come on and do better for the experience next season I think.

A bit premature to talk about a Gold Cup but I will watch his progress with interest next season.

I grant you Ahoy Senor did really well to finish second but he did it again...Minute he comes under pressure he seems to panic and clout one..........Did it at Carlisle and against Barvemansgame and again this week.

I could be wrong but I think he has a bit of a mental issue and wrorries too much.

Been looking back at Jobon and to be fair to him he was going better than anything before Dysart Fell and CH's turbo kicked in.

He'll definitely go chasing next season whereas CH will wait a year or even longer if he can beat Honeysuckle, thats a given and I think we can expect big improvement when he does as he does seem to have a very high cruising speed and was having no trouble matching Dysart stride for stride.

I would defintely have him over Dysart for the Arkle at 14/1. Can't have Sir Gehard I think he's overrated...time will tell

20/1 double Constitution Hill (CH) and Galopin Des Champs (GC) men in white coats??

Id be steering clear of that. Willies dropping GDC bsck down to 2 miles.

Id say he’s odds on to go Ryanair, but Ive been wrong before ill be wrong again.

Id be steering clear of that. Willies dropping GDC bsck down to 2 miles.

Id say he’s odds on to go Ryanair, but Ive been wrong before ill be wrong again.

Surely Allaho will go for 3 on the trot in the Ryanair.

Willie also has Energumene for the QMCC and I would fancy held up he looks a much better proposition that Shishkin who Nicky will be steppingup in trip.

I see Skybet are going 17/2 CH and GDC to win any race but they are on my taboo list

Mullins also has Ferny Hollow for 2 miles. can't see that one being upped in trip. obviously not one to rely on though with his injury history.

i feel like GDC is going to become something of a quandry for him in the same way Vautour was. the engine is there to go further but his running style would have to be a worry. 2 and a half miles probably the sweet spot really but they have Allaho and the bigger races are at 2 and 3+ miles.

Last edited:
Constitution Hill to stay over hurdles next season according to the RP interview with Michael Buckley. Seems quite keen to take on Honeysuckle at Punchestown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely Allaho will go for 3 on the trot in the Ryanair.

Willie also has Energumene for the QMCC and I would fancy held up he looks a much better proposition that Shishkin who Nicky will be steppingup in trip.

I see Skybet are going 17/2 CH and GDC to win any race but they are on my taboo list

Aye, can’t see Allaho going anywhere else, tan.

Willie’s just got too many top horses :D

Willie will have to double up with something.its a nice problem to have though.
He will be sat at home working out how he can win every race at the festival,

Looking through it all again I think there were several very dominant performances that it’s difficult to see past for next time unless something leaps out of the woodwork or they compete against each other.

Allaho and Honeysuckle were dominant going in and remain dominant coming out
Constitution Hill - nuff said, can’t see him being beaten any time soon
Galopin des Champs - even as a solo effort if Bob Olinger wasn’t right it was some performance ‘til the last.
A Plus Tard - again, can’t see anything challenging him now.

Of the beginners something special has got to pop up to stop Vauban and Facile Vega in their tracks.

Last edited:
The racing Post took it upon themselves to use up valauble space RE; Constutution Hill V Honeysuckle in the Paddy Power Champion Hurdle

Just another fairy story to promote their rag IMO so much so Paddy Power haven't priced it up.

I can hear Nicky now......Not as long as your ass is pointing to the ground is he going to Leopardstown Michael.

Of course it's only my opinion and stranger things have happened

However horses like Buveur D'Air Sprinter Sacre and Altior showed massive improvement with that year off

Throw Constitution Hill in now..yes he might beat hear but give him the time to fully mature with normal imrpovement his
chances improve threefold........Go now and he loses then? The bubble is burst and he'll say he'll be a better horse next year bla bla bla

So I remain happy and won't be lumping anymore on until Aintree and Leopardstown are over and Honeysuckle and Constitution hill are tucked up in bed.

Looking through it all again I think there were several very dominant performances that it’s difficult to see past for next time unless something leaps out of the woodwork or they compete against each other.

Allaho and Honeysuckle were dominant going in and remain dominant coming out
Constitution Hill - nuff said, can’t see him being beaten any time soon
Galopin des Champs - even as a solo effort if Bob Olinger wasn’t right it was some performance ‘til the last.
A Plus Tard - again, can’t see anything challenging him now.

Of the beginners something special has got to pop up to stop Vauban and Facile Vega in their tracks.

Where do you go with Vauban now? According to Ruby Willie said he was a Champion Hurdle horse in the making and he wanted to save him for next years Supreme
but Ricci insisted he run this year and go for the Triumph.

He would need to be as good as the great Persian War was when he won the Triumph to compete in next years Champion Hurdle
and I don't think he's even close to his class.

Quite frankly I think they should be hoping he can jump a fence because his career over hurdle is over before it starts.

Facile Vega I like and given time he could be a star of the future and I wouldn't put anyone talking 4/1 about him for the Supreme.
If he wins first time up over hurdles easily his odds will half even if the runner up only has 3 legs.

Back