Cheltenham 2023 antepost

Gigilo put up Chindit for Saturday last night at 5/2. 9/4 was easy to get. It's now 13/8. Why in the name of God would you wait 12 months.

Say you back Chindit and it goes in. 5/2 9/4. Would you be happy doubling it with C Hill for the Champ Hurdle at 2/1? Sorry for the question, not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing with me there.

For me, Id rather collect the 9/4 Saturday than back it in a double with a horse who won’t run in said race for another 12 month if at all.

Last edited:
Say you back Chindit and it goes in. 5/2 9/4. Would you be happy doubling it with C Hill for the Champ Hurdle at 2/1? Sorry for the question, not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing with me there.

For me, Id rather collect the 9/4 Saturday than back it in a double with a horse who won’t run in said race for another 12 month if at all.

I'd be alll for that next year, not 12 months in advance. Just back ******* Chindit and collect. The whole point of doubles is to compound value. Who thinks CH will be shorter than 2/1 anytime soon?

Last edited:
I'd be alll for that next year, not 12 months in advance. Just back ******* Chindit and collect. The whole point of doubles is to compound value. Who thinks CH will be shorter than 2/1 anytime soon?

Not me, which is why Im suggesting its not a good bet atm. Especially sticking it in a double to boost the price somewhat, just collect on the day of whatever your doubling it with.

Least thats what Id do anyway.

Not me, which is why Im suggesting its not a good bet atm. Especially sticking it in a double to boost the price somewhat, just collect on the day of whatever your doubling it with.

Least thats what Id do anyway.

I could give you 400 better bets to double something with.

American Mike - Ballymore - 8/1
Madmansgame - Albert Bartlett - 16/1
152/1 double.

Gordon Sends all his nice bumper horses the Ballymore route usually, so pretty safe he’ll go here. Especially if Facile Vega looks as good as he did when over hurdles.

Willie talked about Madmansgame being a real stayer. Was punted for the bumper, suggests he’s at least well thought of. With Willies options next year Id say he’s a safe bet to go here. James’ Gate will be Ballymore

May get better elsewhere but Ive got a free £5 on the wags account with Sky, worse bets out there.

American Mike - Ballymore - 8/1
Madmansgame - Albert Bartlett - 16/1
152/1 double.

Gordon Sends all his nice bumper horses the Ballymore route usually, so pretty safe he’ll go here. Especially if Facile Vega looks as good as he did when over hurdles.

Willie talked about Madmansgame being a real stayer. Was punted for the bumper, suggests he’s at least well thought of. With Willies options next year Id say he’s a safe bet to go here. James’ Gate will be Ballymore

May get better elsewhere but Ive got a free £5 on the wags account with Sky, worse bets out there.

I've never heard of Willies.

I've never heard of Willies.

Backed from 20 odd to 10s for bumper but came nowhere. He did an interview on opening show with ITV saying he’ll be a nice stayer for the future.

Good enough word for me as well as the money on the day for him.

Nane one good horse Willie has ran in the race in the last 5 years?

The Bartlett? Better race then it used to be.

The 2 he had last week aren’t that bad. Monkfish isn’t a bad horse. There examples from last couple of years. Not saying Madmansgames is that good or going to win the Bartlett, Id just be confident thats were he’s going, based on Willies options and his comments regarding him.

Some horse Ive never heard of yet will probs go off fav in it. Just suggesting the bet based on what we know now.

Certainly American Mike.

I've gone a bit mad on the ante-posts partly because **** it, we might not be here in 12 months.

I was ruminating about Chindit on Twitter yesterday, pleased gigilo sees the obvious lack of opposition I did. 5/2 is in the double zone but with the Guineas six weeks away there's no point doing Cheltenham doubles yet.

Allegorie de Vassy is interesting for the Mares Chase. Elimay I don't see repeating, Riviere D'etel jumped almost as far right last Tuesday as Gaelic Warrior did later in the card and Silver Forever has the welter burden of being a pumpkin horse.

Agree with your stance on Elimay Euro, also like Alegorie for the race, happy to wait till she sees a racecourse again though.

Elimay probably would have won easier but for some excellent riding from Bryan Cooper. Nice to see him getting some decent rides again, I like him as a jock.

I find it hard enough finding winners on a day to day basis, never mind doubling it with a horse 12 month out. I dont bet at all after Punchestown, i know nish all about the flat, and happy to leave the summer jumps.

Start betting anti post and betting again Charlie Hall weekend and most of Gordons Down Royal weekend.I may well start sticking horses running that day in with a Cheltenham bet. Something Ive never done but I csn see the sense in it if covering already nice positions.

I’d rather just collect there and then for a winner.

I meant backing at Cheltenham not 1 now and waiting for CH
I took your advice on American mike and dbles it with CH.

Euro.

Allegorie De Vassey 25/1 with Betfair for the Mares Chase. About 6/1 everywhere else. Can afford to gamble on her not getting there with them odds.

I'm done for now, time to research the Guineas. Final list:

Dysart Dynamo Arke 12/1 - easier to curb a tearaway over fences, can you imagine Un de Sceaux in a Supreme as a young horse
Jonbon Champion Hurdle 12/1 - probably a dead bet already
Minella Cocooner Brown Advisory 16/1 and a little on the machine at 19
Jonbon Turners 12/1 - Can see him being stepped up in trip
Vanillier Stayers 25/1 and 36 on the machine
Allegorie de Vassy Mares Chase 10 and 12/1 and a little at 25s

I'm done for now, time to research the Guineas. Final list:

Dysart Dynamo Arke 12/1 - easier to curb a tearaway over fences, can you imagine Un de Sceaux in a Supreme as a young horse
Jonbon Champion Hurdle 12/1 - probably a dead bet already
Minella Cocooner Brown Advisory 16/1 and a little on the machine at 19
Jonbon Turners 12/1 - Can see him being stepped up in trip
Vanillier Stayers 25/1 and 36 on the machine
Allegorie de Vassy Mares Chase 10 and 12/1 and a little at 25s

Ive doubled Dysart and Allegorie as well. Pounds for thousands

Probably a bit left field, but Ahoy Senor actually ran a good race to finish second to Le Homme Presse given the rain came that day and his best form is on better going.

That was only his fifth or six run over fences from memory and I feel he is still a work in progress.

I heard concerns about how he would handle the track and looking at the Racing Post it says he was unfluent during his race.

He can come on and do better for the experience next season I think.

A bit premature to talk about a Gold Cup but I will watch his progress with interest next season.

Christ what a performance that was!

What price for Gold Cup now?

All of Ahoy Senor's best performances over fences, Newbury, Wetherby and now Aintree have been on flat tracks.
Not just flat but having long straights that help the jumping rhythm. Cheltenham is much more on the turn and emphasises any tendency to jump out to the right.

Back