Cheltenham Ante Post Competition - Feb Entries

Competition Rules

Quote:

1. The competition will open for entries on Monday 10 October and close on Sat 25 Feb. New entrants will be accepted at any time between these dates.

2. Two prizes will be awarded, one of £150 to the person whose bets generate the most winnings, and one of £50 to the person whose portfolio has the highest notional value on 26 Feb.

3. Participants will have a separate bank for each month of the competition as follows:

October (7/10 to to 31/10) - £500
November - £500
December - £1000
January - £1000
February (1/2 to 25/2) - £2000

4. The bank for each month can only be used during the month to which it refers.

5. Bets can be placed on the ante post market for any race at the Cheltenham Festival with any bookmaker displayed on oddschecker.com

6. Only single or each way bets will be accepted; multiple and other types of bet are excluded.

7. The minimum bet size is 10% of the monthly bank, i.e. £50/£25ew in October and November, £100/£50ew in December and January and £200/£100ew in February.

8. The maximum amount allowed on any one horse in any one race is £1,500.

9. There is no limit on the number of horses that can be backed, but only ten will count for scoring purposes.

10. Participants can indicate on or before the cut-off date of 25 Feb which horses they want to include in their final portfolio, otherwise the ten most recently selected will be chosen by default.

11. If a horse is backed for more than one race, each will count as a separate "horse" for the purposes of rules 9, 10 and 13.

12. The winner of the main prize will be the person whose final portfolio of bets generates the highest winnings. Bets will be settled according to normal ante post rules, but only the winnings will be counted.

13. The secondary prize will go to the portfolio which on 26 Feb which has the highest 'notional value'. This is the total sum one would need to wager, taking the best available odds on 26 Feb, to achieve the same potential winnings of each of the bets in the portfolio. (In simpler terms, bets on horses whose odds shorten gain value, while bets on drifters lose value).

14. The organisers will have the right to clarify, modify or add to the rules as they deem appropriate.

Rule 10 is the one you want to look at, Chef, but please be aware we are going to make Feb 29 the cut-off date rather than the 25th. In other words, you can indicate which of your ten horses you want to include any time up to and including Feb 29.

£1000 win Sportsmaster 25/1 Bet365 Triumph
£1000 win Last Instalment 8/1 SA Chase Ladbrokes

Last edited:
Supreme Novices Hurdle Galileos Choice 12/1 £400 win Powers and more.
Cross Country Chase Sizing Australia 6/1 £300 win Bet365 and Boyles
Jewson Novices Sir Des Champs 7/1 £300 win Ladbrokes and Hills

My final ten selections to go to war with are :
Cue card Arkle 200 win 16/1
Kauto stone Ryanair 100 win 16/1
Last instalment rsa 300 win 8/1
Montbazon 300 win supreme 16/1
Peddlers cross 500 win Arkle 9/2
Stps to freedom 350 win supreme 10/1
Zarkander 150 win champion 12/1
Minsk 1500 win triumph 10/1
Chapoturgeon 200 win fox hunters 10/1
Allure of allusion 150 ew supreme 25/1

Could be better could be worst.

£250 EW Tidal Bay 50/1 (Sporting Bet) for the Gold Cup
£200 W Sizing Europe 11/10 (Ladbrokes) for the Queen Mother

£1300 left in the bank

I'll start putting up all the lists of bets for everyone who has added Feb choices over the next few days.

£800 win Simonsig (Supreme) 10/1 SportingBet (yes that's the price on Oddschecker at the mo)

£1200 remaining for Feb

My remaining £1,000 for February goes on:

Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) 6/4 Bet Victor = £600 win

Zarkandar (Champion Hurdle) 7/1 W Hill = £400

My remaining £1,000 for February goes on:

Sprinter Sacre (Arkle) 6/4 Bet Victor = £600 win

Zarkandar (Champion Hurdle) 7/1 W Hill = £400

How many minutes did you have to spare getting those prices, Steve? :whistle:

How many minutes did you have to spare getting those prices, Steve? :whistle:

Not quite sure what you mean, but both prices are still available today (albeit with different bookmakers): Ladbrokes (6/4 SS) and Paddy Power (7/1 Z). (SS now 11/8 with Bet Victor.)

Last edited:
£800 Win - Fingal Bay (Neptune general 5/1)

Remaining bank - £1200 (assuming it's a two-grand starting bank, and that I haven't spent any of it yet :blink:)

Not quite sure what you mean, but both prices are still available today with Ladbrokes (6/4 SS) and Hills (7/1 Z). SS now 11/8 with Bet Victor.

It's a case of now you see it now you don't with some of these prices. Not to worry.

It's a case of now you see it now you don't with some of these prices. Not to worry.

Sure is, and often dries up quickly to size in ante-post markets. There will be plenty of cut and thrust in the little time remaining, I don't envy you guys the job of checking the details, but I think I'm being pretty scrupulous in trying to identify where the best odds are at the time of posting and am mostly sticking to the main firms.

How is your real portfolio shaping up Steve?

Similar in terms of the horses selected although not identical and prices struck also differ a little. I've got good positions at double-digit odds in the likes of Sprinter Sacre, Binocular, Captain Chris, Riverside Theatre, Cue Card and Simonsig.

And strong to medium positions at single-digit prices in the likes of Long Run, Grands Crus, Oscar Whisky, Big Bucks (only to cover this time), Grandouet, Zarkandar, Noble Prince and Fingal Bay.

Spits and spots for a few others.

Against this I had a fair bit on Spirit Son in the Champion Hurdle (but recouped most of that NRNB with Ladbrokes) and a little on Denman 25s VC and 20s (Lads, stake returned).

Overall I'm satisfied that I've got good value in defending my downside. Now the real fun starts when you hone in on the real winners, supported by your ante-post book... I'd consider proper bets on the likes of Big Bucks and Hurricane Fly nearer the day if they drift, but am happy to leave them alone for now.

I'll be looking for dangers to the likes of Sprinter Sacre, but don't expect to find any. I had a little early season money on Peddler's Cross for the Arkle, but have a much stronger positions at 10/1, 7/1 and 9/4 on SS. Doubt that I'll be spending too much time worrying about the Arkle at least.

Last edited:
Back