Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

Ireland given Green light to continue behind closed doors.

Thank heavens for that as the country is so reliant on the industry. Just hope it doesn't backfire.

You need a pump for a pond...plants on their own won't do it.

My horse has been picked up from Lambourn today to go to a new home, the guy moving him for me, really nice young guy who I would highly recommend said : job he had booked for this morning for 10 horses to go to Newbury for racecourse gallop cancelled at 10 this morning; a friend who is a stalls handler, no work; another friend works for a medium sized NH yard laid off as from today instead of end of May and others following suit he has been told.

I am temping at a council office where multiple people will take the mick given an hundredth of an inch, I could write a book and may well do when I finish there, Monday we were told to split the department into two and do alternate days in the office to keep going, after Boris' press conference told now not to go in unless for tasks which have to be done...they ALL have to be done. Today I was the only one in this morning and I was being bombarded by colleagues to 'can you do this , can you do that' and calls from people complaining that other people weren't answering their phones...they are supposed to be 'working from home' which includes taking calls! This is the very bad side of all of this and sadly very predictable.

Ireland given Green light to continue behind closed doors.

Thank heavens for that as the country is so reliant on the industry. Just hope it doesn't backfire.

Has cheered me up no end. Great news with back to back days racing for 10 days. Really looking forward to the action.

I am temping at a council office where multiple people will take the mick given an hundredth of an inch, I could write a book and may well do when I finish there, Monday we were told to split the department into two and do alternate days in the office to keep going, after Boris' press conference told now not to go in unless for tasks which have to be done...they ALL have to be done. Today I was the only one in this morning and I was being bombarded by colleagues to 'can you do this , can you do that' and calls from people complaining that other people weren't answering their phones...they are supposed to be 'working from home' which includes taking calls! This is the very bad side of all of this and sadly very predictable.

Sounds like my experience of temping although that was for the Civil Service. I worked my backside off for minimum wage while the full time employees took the p*ss, took sick leave through stress then hired themselves back as consultants!

They are counted as civil servants, flexi time mick take. work from home mick take, sick......don't.....Absolutely does my head in . One woman has been off sick for 3 months before anyone noticed that her monthly figures hadn't been done.....that was 3 months ago, she still hasn't been seen. When she did come in takes an hour and a half to eat her lunch, find 'her' chair ( we are supposed to hot desk...) , make 2 drinks, sets up desk up/PC .....she gets in around 1.20...desk is ready to go at 2.40 ish....she goes home at 5. She does that 4 afternoons a week, well did. I did ask my manager what she actually does....he said 'one day a month she has to do a spreadsheet showing how much Central Government pay to the council for housing benefit, which has to be posted by journal into local accounts. ' One day a month? One day a month?? She's not alone as an example of the total and absolute waste of public money which goes on Don't even get me started on people renting council properties who haven't paid anything for 7 years but are allowed to stay.............a friend and I have asked if they have any land and stables for rent.........

Last edited:
They are counted as civil servants, flexi time mick take. work from home mick take, sick......don't.....Absolutely does my head in . One woman has been off sick for 3 months before anyone noticed that her monthly figures hadn't been done.....that was 3 months ago, she still hasn't been seen. When she did come in takes an hour and a half to eat her lunch, find 'her' chair ( we are supposed to hot desk...) , make 2 drinks, sets up desk up/PC .....she gets in around 1.20...desk is ready to go at 2.40 ish....she goes home at 5. She does that 4 afternoons a week, well did. I did ask my manager what she actually does....he said 'one day a month she has to do a spreadsheet showing how much Central Government pay to the council for housing benefit, which has to be posted by journal into local accounts. ' One day a month? One day a month?? She's not alone as an example of the total and absolute waste of public money which goes on Don't even get me started on people renting council properties who haven't paid anything for 7 years but are allowed to stay.............a friend and I have asked if they have any land and stables for rent.........

A mate of mine told me nearly 40 years ago about timewasters at work. He was quite high up in WD & HO Wills in Glasgow but as the demand for tobacco products lessened, the company were considering their options. He was asked to go down to the Bristol plant to see through a project and when he got back home he called me up and asked me to meet him for a pint.

All he really wanted was to vent his anger and frustration. He couldn't believe how much time was being wasted in Bristol. He said they Glasgow plant ran a really tight ship and everybody toed the line because they felt valued. The situation in Bristol as he described it to me was like the woman described above, who wasted most of her day, only Jim said that was the culture of the entire plant.

And it was the Glasgow plant they closed down.

He ended up taking a severance package and going into the black cab business but any time I met him he would bring up that experience. It really bugged him.

Some rather worrying news this morning from the farrier at work. Two of his clients he was supposed to have gone to contacted him and have gone down with Coronavirus and are quite ill. They were at Cheltenham last week in corporate hospitality. So expect more cases to come from there I would imagine.

According to the article, he caught it from his driver who has it. So not necessarily from anyone at the races (although I do know of two who were there and have since got it).

Charlie Austin has the virus and reckons he picked it up on the Tuesday at the Festival

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie Austin has the virus and reckons he picked it up on the Tuesday at the Festival

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pity he can't see the back of the net as well as he can see microbes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Athletic Madrid leaving a terrible mark on Liverpool after their visit to Anfield!

Last edited:
Racing Post publications being suspended. Online content will still be updated

Makes a lot of sense.

They'd be struggling for articles.

Today's Weekender has cards and form for Ireland for the rest of this week plus tips for US racing.

They claim it costs a fortune to produce occasional season-to-date indexes, the reason for limiting themselves to end-of-season ones.

I wonder if they lay people off they're hoping the government will cover the 80% of their people's wages.

Back