Cheltenham Festival Going

No sign of it here, but the sky has been grey and overcast for most of the day. Gloomy, and cold. Forecast to get warmer as the week goes on.

Weather map shows some light snow over the hills around Stow on the Wold but not here (yet).

From BBC weather:
Monday
A continued risk of snow, especially near English Channel coasts, although further north, drier interludes are likely. Strong to gale force northeasterly winds will create a significant, even severe, windchill.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday
Barring a few wintry showers, the midweek period should be largely dry with some sunshine and much lighter winds. Still a risk of widespread overnight frosts.

Last edited:
Hearing rumours that ferries have been cancelled today, not sure if it affects any horses or racegoers ? Have seen Quevega here out having a bit of gentle exercise,and Hurricane Fly is too. All covers now down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link DG. Weather doesn't look like it would stop any meeting from going ahead but they're taking no chances, so well done to them as that's a lot of tarps to be moving about and at some cost.

1st day going guide by times

Supreme Novice Hurdle

Good/Firm ------------------ 3m51 or faster
Good getting G/F ----------- 3m51 to 3m52
Good ------------------------ 3m52 to 3m55
Yielding --------------------- 3m55 to 3m56
Good/Soft ------------------- 3m56 to 4m01
Soft ------------------------- 4m01 or slower

Arkle Trophy

Good/Firm ------------------ 3m52 or faster
Good getting GF------------ 3m52 to 3m53
Good ------------------------ 3m53 to 3m56
Yielding --------------------- 3m56 to 3m57
Good/Soft ------------------- 3m57 to 4m02
Soft --------------------------4m02 or slower

Last edited:
I've read online that the covers will come off at 10 a.m tomorrow,does tht mean the covers will be reapplied after racing tomorrow?surely they couldn't feasibly cover all the course in the timescale????

They start taking them off at 10.00, 300 staff removing 620 tarps.They are only taking the tarps off the old course, the ones on the New Course will remain. After tomorrow the Cross Country ones wont matter.

Last edited:
Won't be any worse than this tomorrow :blink: but it will be the coldest ever start to a Cheltenham Festival

60401_537604162951673_1915378241_n.png

Last edited:
Im weighing up wether or not Im jealous of you lot who are going....

On balance, I think I am a bit - though watching on the telly, under a duvet and dog, with cheap food and drink and a loo that I dont have to que for, maybe not so much ;)

Member Digger has just arrived in Cheltenham, and says it isn't even cold, you shower of soft, Southern gaylords.

:cool:

Quote:
Going stick at Cheltenham reportedly 5.7. It was 5.8 for the @paddypower meeting. In the PP Gold Cup only 6/18 horses completed the race.
Quote:

OVER 120 lenghts over the whole meeting could be a steal.

Last edited:
Member Digger has just arrived in Cheltenham, and says it isn't even cold, you shower of soft, Southern gaylords.

:cool:

LOL

I was so cold having a smoke waiting for the 6:47 from Paddington that I bought a 2nd pair of gloves to wear under my others ahead of tomorrow.

Only one solution - drink through it...

Not looking forward to seeing horses out on their legs up the hill though.

Lee

James RB
Going stick at Cheltenham reportedly 5.7. It was 5.8 for the @paddypower meeting. In the PP Gold Cup only 6/18 horses completed the race.

Yes but look at it now

303118_10151375643288003_1145072627_n.jpg

Without hijacking the thread, a couple more festival 'specials' that deserve a mention:

No. of winning Favs - spread firm 7.4-7.8, Betfred & Tote Under 10 5/4

Winning Distances - spread 105-115, Coral over 109 6/4 Simonsig & SS could get the bet half way there between them....

who with, and what price?

That was from a couple of days ago, the spread is now 116.5-126.5 and has been for the last couple of days, Corals held their quote until this morning, now it's 119, still viable though.

A very cold start with some icy patches. Then largely dry with spells of sunshine. Less windy than yesterday, but still feeling bitterly cold. There could be a few snow showers at times, most likely towards the north and east.

The lads riding will just have to wear 2 pair of ladies tights instead of 1, apart from that things are looking good.

Last edited:
Back