Cheltenham Festival Going

is it the first year that the CH has not been the third race on the card?

its better as you get 3 races to suss the ground out

CH was the third race on the card until 2009 when Gilliespie made all the main events number 4 after the 2008 mega race cards following Wed's abandonment.

The change is an error in my view . The tension dips a bit with each of the third races on days 1 and 4 , I miss the Neptune opening day 2 and moving the County Hurdle was an outrage - the last day is frankly a bit of a bore now after the GC .

Last edited:
CH was the third race on the card until 2009 when Gilliespie made all the main events number 4 after the 2008 mega race cards following Wed's abandonment.

The change is an error in my view . The tension dips a bit with each of the third races on days 1 and 4 , I miss the Neptune opening day 2 and moving the County Hurdle was an outrage - the last day is frankly a bit of a bore now after the GC .

cheers..thought i were imagining it

Todays early race going guides

1st race - 8m17 for Good Ground..+-5 seconds ish
2nd race - 5m02 for Good ground..+-3 seconds ish

Last edited:

I could not agre more.

the ground was a little slower on the new course today..will probably ride similar to how the old course did earlier in the week tomorrow

Last edited:
the ground was a little slower on the new course today..will probably ride similar to how the old course did earlier in the week tomorrow

There's a few showers forecast for tonight with some heavy rain due early afternoon tomorrow, the ground will already be saturated and by gold cup time it could be quite testing.

Cheers lads.

The rain saved us in the end tho (not including Jane Mangan :) ).

I ended up winning a bit over the week thanks to going a bit over board
on this at the start of the week.

Last edited:
Back