Cheltenham Festival Going

I tried that link previously but it'll be updated on Tuesday 4 March. I see where William Hill, the only firm I see offering odds on the going, have shortened the odds on good soft to 8/11 and lenghtened out soft to 9/4.

I just hope it's not sticky.

Simon Claisse COC

"The going today would be soft, good to soft in places.

X-Country soft heavy in places"

I don't think they'll be watering anyway. Read where you posted in the preview night thread DG that Claisse said they're not expecting much rain so it should be good/soft come 11 March.

Last edited:
From the Racing Post;

CHELTENHAM basked in glorious sunshine on Wednesday, but clerk of the course Simon Claisse believes the ground is not measurably quicker than it was at the same time last week.

He said: "We've had our fair share of rainfall here, although between September and now it's about the same as we had last year - it's just that this time it's all been concentrated in the last six or seven weeks or so.

"We haven't had a great deal of rain in the last seven to ten days, and if we were racing today I would call it "soft, good to soft in places" on both main courses, and "soft, heavy in places" on the cross-country course.

"John Kettley is telling me now that we might have as much as 25mm - up to an inch - between now and next Friday."

Great news.
I remember in 2011 or 2012 Edward o Grady getting in a right stew as he thought they had over watered.
Rain is more natural after all!
Hopefully there will be no frost ( or blizzard) like last year.
That would make complete shite of the ground.

Is it still soft over there DG? I see the Cheltenham area is due a bit of heavy rain over the weekend, especially Sunday. First day could be soft at this rate.

Had a frost last night, been fine and sunny all day. Rain forecast tomorrow but latest local forecast is getting drier end of next week and through Festival week.
Heard a piece on local radio this morning saying Ian Renton, head honcho, is "absolutely delighted " at how the course is shaping up.

Back