Cheltenham Festival Going

Suggested soft all over except for some good to soft coming down the hill with the odd slightly heavy patch - if they just have a showery and mild three weeks - good to soft is very very possible.

Here's a weather forecast specific to Cheltenham Racecourse - I've used this site for some time, and it's very useful. If we get the rain forecast for early March, than there will surely be no watering until the weekend before, at the earliest. I'll be there next Wednesday for the weights launch, and will probably be the only journo who will accept Simon Claisse's invitation to walk the track (why does no-one do this?), so will feed back then.

Cheltenham Weather

Remind him of the tradition to water the weekend before, regardless of the forecast and what's gone on before.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been up the racecourse

Watering_zps52547aea.jpg

Just kidding :D

From rory's site that suggests just about 3 inches of rain in the next 19 days . Not that much.

3 inches is a lot. It's not something my wife says to make me feel good.

3 inches in the next fortnight is 75mm, which would have the ground soft / heavy.

However, predicting precipitation to any degree of accuracy any more than 5 days in advance is hard. 8 days plus is impossible.

The most I would say is that the weather looks like turning more unsettled. Around an inch in the next week. Which is above average and enough to keep the ground soft. And no settled spell on the horizon.

Remind him of the tradition to water the weekend before, regardless of the forecast and what's gone on before.....

It would be a shame not to use all that reservoir capacity and sprinkling equipment after spending so much on it. :ninja:

3 inches is a lot. It's not something my wife says to make me feel good.

3 inches in the next fortnight is 75mm, which would have the ground soft / heavy.

However, predicting precipitation to any degree of accuracy any more than 5 days in advance is hard. 8 days plus is impossible.

The most I would say is that the weather looks like turning more unsettled. Around an inch in the next week. Which is above average and enough to keep the ground soft. And no settled spell on the horizon.

That is nonsense at Cheltenham.

While Barry's 3 inches may not be as impressive as he'd like, he's right in saying that 3 inches of rain is a hell of a lot in the next 2 weeks. I'm slightly wary about that, given that the biggest individual drop looks a tad dubious, but if it's true, then it would have a significant effect on the going.

Not wishing to scaremonger but I spoke to a person on the groundstaff yesterday and he says there is a bit of concern with the cross country course, still boggy and they can't do anything with it so slight chance it may not be run.

The main course is absolutely fine and they begin putting in rails etc tomorrow.

Thanks DG. What's the weather been like in Cheltenham? Did he give any indication as to what he thinks the going will be. Sounded positive anyway.

Back