Cheltenham Festival Going

You only have to look at the horses they have going first day to see that NJH and PFN are feathering their own nests.leave claisse do whatever he wants!

The old course could well be good in places at this rate by Tuesday afternoon.

He has already taken the soft out of the description with just a few days of sunshine...that means its defo foing to be at least good by Tuesday.

Last edited:
Either he can't use a going stick or the information is being massaged. Yesterday it was 5.9 and good to soft. The Monday before the Festival last year it was 6.0 and soft. I know that the frost situation made it a bit of a guessing game but even so...

Must be difficult when one of your major sponsors wants it soft and your chairman wants it not soft.

Last edited:
Harry Fry has withdrawn Activial from the Triumph and says the ground has helped to sway them...

The going stick reading has surely changed...even though Claisse can only utter G/sft

Old & New: Good to Soft

Cross Country: Good to Soft (Soft in places)

GoingStick:

Old Course: 6.4

New Course: 6.6

Cross Country: 6.1

Old & New: Good to Soft

Cross Country: Good to Soft (Soft in places)

GoingStick:

Old Course: 6.4

New Course: 6.6

Cross Country: 6.1

5.9 yesterday, that's .5 increase in 24 hours...carries on like that 7.4 by midday Tuesday...fast,fast,fast...

Claisse: Cheltenham ground will dry further
With the start of the Cheltenham Festival only two days away, clerk of the course Simon Claisse said on Sunday that he expects the ground to continue to dry out and the word 'good' to appear in the going description from Monday.

Cheltenham was bathed in early spring sunshine and warmed by temperatures of 16C on Sunday as Claisse reported the going to be good to soft on both the Old Course, used the first two days, and the New Course, used the final two.

However, Claisse is predicting the ground to dry further and said: "Both hurdle tracks and both chase tracks are good to soft. I took the 'soft in places' out of the going description yesterday.

"I will look again at the ground later this afternoon but I am not anticipating changing the going description then. Tomorrow, however, I expect to have ‘good' somewhere in the going description."

Claisse added that with temperatures forecast to remain in double figures next week he would be monitoring conditions on the New Course and said: "The forecast is for dry and warm weather to continue, though it will not be as warm today on Monday and Tuesday. Today's high was due to be 16C, while it is forecast to be 11C on Monday and 13C on Tuesday.

"The condition of the New Course, used on Thursday and Friday, will be monitored throughout the week as it is anticipated to continue to dry out."

The going stick reading for Day 1 last year was 6.0 and 6.4 the next day.

Looks like we're round about there.

At the Open Meeting this year it was 7.5 on the Friday.

1st day going guide by times

Supreme Novice Hurdle

Good/Firm ------------------ 3m51 or faster
Good getting G/F ----------- 3m51 to 3m52
Good ------------------------ 3m52 to 3m55
Yielding --------------------- 3m55 to 3m56
Good/Soft ------------------- 3m56 to 4m01
Soft ------------------------- 4m01 or slower

Arkle Trophy

Good/Firm ------------------ 3m52 or faster
Good getting GF------------ 3m52 to 3m53
Good ------------------------ 3m53 to 3m56
Yielding --------------------- 3m56 to 3m57
Good/Soft ------------------- 3m57 to 4m02
Soft --------------------------4m02 or slower

You mean timing from the point they cross the start rather than when the tape goes up? Could be, good point.

Back