Cheltenham Festival Handicaps 2018

Ignore me, I've answered my own question. Entries 22nd Feb and weights 28th Feb. Also entries for x-country, mares novices, 4 miler, and foxhunter on the 28th.

28th's a bit of a nightmare with regard to the ante-post compy. Bit of a busy evening in store.

I've always had a bit of an aversion to Cheltenham handicaps. Maybe it's because I have so many bets on the conditions races I feel that's enough, but last year I missed out big time. I picked Supersundae in the Cheltenham naps competition that was run but didn't punt the thing, backed the two Nick Williams horses in the Fred Winter, which was nice, and also backed Road to Respect in the Ultima to support my ap bet on Singlefarmpayment but didn't support him when he turned up in the much weaker Plate, at the same price, over a more suitable trip. Trixies/doubles or trebles on those horses would have been retirement money.

Entries down this year, last year's in brackets

Ultima 83 (102) Close Bros 79 (78) Coral Cup 119 (130) Fred Winter 42 (54) Pertemps 55 (54) Plate 94 (100) Kim Muir 77 (101) County 88 (100) Martin Pipe 146 (164) Grand Annual 65 (77) Total 848 (960)

Entries down this year, last year's in brackets

Ultima 83 (102) Close Bros 79 (78) Coral Cup 119 (130) Fred Winter 42 (54) Pertemps 55 (54) Plate 94 (100) Kim Muir 77 (101) County 88 (100) Martin Pipe 146 (164) Grand Annual 65 (77) Total 848 (960)

Surely a (positive) result of the 48 hour decs restricting horses from being declared in more than one race for everything bar the non-novice G1s.

Last edited:
Eagle Lion runs today for the Fahy/Russell/Reynolds partnership. He’s their pretempts horse and connections are bidding for 3 in a row after Maldini & Presenting Percy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Lion runs today for the Fahy/Russell/Reynolds partnership. He’s their pretempts horse and connections are bidding for 3 in a row after Maldini & Presenting Percy.

Eagle Lion rated OR 131 in Ireland before this race today. He'd need to be 138 - 140 UK mark to guarantee getting in, wouldn't he? (Obviously finish in the first 6 too).
I'm wondering if he almost needs to win today to gaurentee getting in? It's a fine line!!! If he doesn't win he might not be high enough rated to get in. If he does win, bearing in mind connections, the UK handicapper is sure to crucify him.

Percy was 1 lb lower OR 130 Irish mark, when winning this qualifier a year ago.
The day of the pertemps at festival he raced off 146 after a 3 length win in this.

Can anyone remember what the Irish handicapper put him up for this win and then what UK handicapper added on ??

Yes & I’d imagine the gamble on him earlier today reflects him probably needing to win today.

Kilfenora looked an absolute classic JP "Not too far" job there didn't it. Walsh trying to win by as little as possible.

He was OR 127 Irish mark before that. I'd say that's just about perfect for getting raised enough (after UK handicapper adds his lbs on) to get in, but still a nice low racing weight at the festival.

Anyone know when handicap entries are released?

I am looking directly at Diamond Geezer at this point. :)

Last edited:
Danny I've literally just read your reply regards Mohayeed, and I'm a man of my word an will give you a rating when I have time. So much going on in my personal life at the moment I've not even had time to look at racing properly recently, never mind give a handicap Mark to a horse that's evidently stupidly hard to handicap.

Peefed off as well. Having quit my job and splitting up with the Mrs, the week off Cheltenham coming was a welcome relief and breather from life. However I've just started my new job and I'm on a training course all week 11-7 and will miss the whole week of the festival. Pissed is an understatement, but at least I'm in employment.

I'll give you the mark on Friday and the winner of the race Danny.

Ah no worries DJ it's not like I was going to hold you to doing your home work haha. Just rate him 180 so that will at least fill me with confidence that i haven't done my absolute poke on him for the County haha.

Having equally as disastrous time of things as you are at the minute so probably won't be posting much over the next couple of weeks. Will take a small break and freshen up for the festival and the rest of the spring.

Splitting up with the Mrs, losing your job ....meh.

Missing the festival ! Jesus Christ man! Our prayers are with you.

Last edited:
When these are released later today (again, looking directly at DG here), will they be in a format that is easily exportable to Excel?

The lack of multiple entries this year will help no end.

I figure there will still be multiple entries, TheBear - at least at this stage.

They're still effectively early-closers, and the wheat surely won't get sorted from the chaff until declaration stage (to be honest, I may have this wrong)?

Gun Digger, Roaring Bull and BBB who all carry an entry in the Pipe, run for Elliott today at Thurles in the same 2m4f Novice Hurdle that Champagne Classic ran in this time last year before going to Cheltenham.

Clear he targets the race every year so perhaps worth noting.

Last edited:
Back