Cheltenham Going on Day 1?

Perpetual

At the Start
Hello folks and it’s been a while....

Will it be Good to Soft or softer on Day 1?

Unbelievably the Cheltenham website doesn’t show the course going map, but with all the rain it must be currently soft and even heavy in places

But, the Met office long range forecast suggests dry this week and higher temperatures

Anyone with local knowledge or amateur weather forecasting skills got a view?

There was talk somewhere the other day about the water table being very high and any rain not being sooked away by nature.

The site I use says rain showers pretty much every other day from now (snow today) until the end of the meeting but it's still far enough away for it to be wrong.

Hello folks and it’s been a while....

Will it be Good to Soft or softer on Day 1?

Unbelievably the Cheltenham website doesn’t show the course going map, but with all the rain it must be currently soft and even heavy in places

But, the Met office long range forecast suggests dry this week and higher temperatures

Anyone with local knowledge or amateur weather forecasting skills got a view?

No idea, but nice to see you back, Perp. :thumbsup:

Currently snow in much of that area which has led to the Beaufort Point to Point being called off today.

Im sure Cheltenham will commence their watering shortly.......:whistle:

Officials at Cheltenham expect the Festival to get underway on close to soft ground, with the start of the showpiece meeting now only a fortnight away.

“As everyone will be very well aware, we’ve had a very wet build-up this year,” he said on Tuesday.

“Thankfully, the rain held off last weekend and it was the first 48 hours of dry weather we’ve had for several weeks, which has allowed us to at least get on and start to mow this week, which was very much needed, so I’m pleased that we got that window.

“We’d be soft ground, as you can imagine with the rain that we’ve had, and the cross country would be heavy in places as well.”

While further rain is forecast in the coming days, Pullin is not expecting a huge swing in conditions either way ahead of day one of the Festival on March 12.

“We’ll see how we go, but if that forecast remains, we’ll have similar ground to what we do now for the start of the Festival, I would imagine.

“There’s nothing scary I’m seeing in the forecast at the moment. We’ve been fortunate we’ve been a lot milder this year than last and the grass covering has been good.

“We did put a bit of fleece down on the New course in the home straight for a couple of weeks, just to kickstart the recovery there, but the grass is looking really well after the cut, so we’re pleased with where we are at this stage.”

Very little rain forecast for the foreseeable

Can see it being G/S good in places by Tuesday, still some uncertainty for Weds onwards but there is a block of high pressure that is difficult to shift

If it is then expect watering for the new course

Very little rain forecast for the foreseeable

Can see it being G/S good in places by Tuesday, still some uncertainty for Weds onwards but there is a block of high pressure that is difficult to shift

If it is then expect watering for the new course

Rain forecast for sat and sun

Arkle betting has gone tits up, first two in the betting gone bigger since the fav was withdrawn, gamble on Qilixious

There's a dry run up until the weekend but then rain all weekend and through to the day itself.

Betting on going descriptions is not something I'd ever normally do but Skybet have surely made a rick in having good-soft odds on and Soft available at 13/8. It's the first description they announce that counts (not if they change throughout the day) and if it's soft, heavy in place (which it currently is), they pay out on Soft.

I just cannot see how it's Good-Soft by next Tuesday with rain about, when the going stick is currently 3.6 or Heavy. Though at 11/1 you could dutch this with Soft at 13/8. Good-Firm and Firm are taking the p1ss.

There's a dry run up until the weekend but then rain all weekend and through to the day itself.

Betting on going descriptions is not something I'd ever normally do but Skybet have surely made a rick in having good-soft odds on and Soft available at 13/8. It's the first description they announce that counts (not if they change throughout the day) and if it's soft, heavy in place (which it currently is), they pay out on Soft.

I just cannot see how it's Good-Soft by next Tuesday with rain about, when the going stick is currently 3.6 or Heavy. Though at 11/1 you could dutch this with Soft at 13/8. Good-Firm and Firm are taking the p1ss.

it seems more like rain on and off from saturday to monday based on the precip %s and even then its only around 50% in the worst spots. think it'll need it to stay pretty dry to get to good/soft though based on the reading from yesterday but i think cheltenham tends to drain quite well?

Not that well though James. Soft, heavy in places 6 days out with rain forecast. It'll surely take a miracle for it to be good-soft Tuesday morning. The 13/8 Soft (inc Soft, heavy in places) is wrong. Good-Soft is 4/7 and they should be the other way around

I don't need to see a weather forecast to tell me that 13/8 about the ground remaining worse than good-soft over the next 6 days is too big.

Back