Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Has anyone had a dabble at someone at big odds? Or think there is one who could gatecrash the party?

Ok I 'll throw in a tentative one.

Module. Most likely Ryanair bound but wouldn't mind see him try further.

Yeah, got 20s. My biggest concern is Boston Bob. He looked good high class at Aintree albeit in a **** race and I worry Willie will send the grey down the Ryanair route. This also applies if SDC returns in good form. Imperial Commander showed off the Ryanair as a good long range sighter for the blue ribband

Yeah, got 20s. My biggest concern is Boston Bob. He looked good high class at Aintree albeit in a **** race and I worry Willie will send the grey down the Ryanair route. This also applies if SDC returns in good form. Imperial Commander showed off the Ryanair as a good long range sighter for the blue ribband

They will have Ballycasey for the Ryanair and as nice a race as it is, im sure they would prefer to go double barrell for the GC

Which leads to the elephant in the room, how certain is it that CF stays

Kicking King prep it looks like, John Durkan, King George and some people doubting if he will stay come Gold Cup Friday

They'll also have to find races for Djakadam.............maybe one of Balleycasey or Djakadam might go for the 3m handicap chase on the Tuesday?

Last edited:
They'll also have to find races for Djakadam.............maybe one of Balleycasey or Djakadam might go for the 3m handicap chase on the Tuesday?

Djackadam may take in the Hennessy and that will go a long way to deciding his future path. Ruby gave him a shoutout on Irish radio last week

Of the 3, Ballycasey is the least exciting but should make a good cash cow over middle distances.

Boston Bob - Lexus, Hennessy (Irish), Gold Cup

Rubi Ball - Lexus and Hennessy

Champagne -, JD, KG, GC

Last edited:
Also backed back in March, Djakadam.
Think and hoping he could be very smart. My one doubt has always been will Mullins hold off running in the big one until the year after. A big run in the Hennessy may just force his hand.

Sir Des Champs only in light training & won't be seen out until second half of the season, if at all, states Willie Mullins on At The Races website...

I would like to see him take his chance but how many horses actually manage to make all in the Cheltenham Gold Cup which is basically his modus operandi.

I don't think anyone should be surprised or disappointed if Holywell doesn't win this afternoon.

I'm half-expecting him to be gubbed out of sight but will be delighted if he wins.

You're on at 50s aren't you?

I can't believe people are backing him at 10s given his Cheltenham bias (or maybe he's just a bit of a spring horse)

Delighted with Taquin yesterday. They didn't go much of a gallop and he was caught a bit flat footed when the race began properly but I loved the way he stayed on.

Sil Conti I've never been a fan of but he might be backable for the Betfair now

Yes. I'm on at 50s. I wouldn't be interested at 10s or thereabouts as I expect him to have a quietish campaign ahead of a return to form at the Festival but you never know with O'Neill. Maybe he feels the horse has nothing to hide now.

If I end up going off the beast at least I should be able to lay the bet off and either guarantee myself a profit or at least get the stake back to go on something else I might end up fancying more strongly.

I don't think anyone should be surprised or disappointed if Holywell doesn't win this afternoon.

I'm half-expecting him to be gubbed out of sight but will be delighted if he wins.

Only saw the race via an iffy stream but I thought Holywell ran a most satisfactory race.

Last edited:
No problem with that at all and good to see AP looking after him. Over-reaction by BetVictor to push him out to 14s

Jonjo will be over the moon with Holywell. He knows what it takes to win a Gold Cup and this horse looks as tough as Syncronized was.

He may not be the classiest horse in the filed but if it turns out that stamina and determination wins the day he lacks nothing.

As for Silviniaco Conti.......if he starts off now he'll still find something to beat him.

I just don't trust him. Has talent but Def has a screw loose and the only reason he won the King George is Joe Tizzard has a screw loose as well and rode the horse like he was Pegasus for 90% of the race.

Even over 3m2f with someone like Ruby or Barry G on I would back Cue Card to beat him.

agree with euro in that S Conti might be a price for the betfair now but there's that doubt in my mind that it might just be a little on the sharp side for him. mainly as you can't be sure they are running the advertised distance. :blink:

Would need to be ridden a deal more aggressively than last year, though that would certainly cook Cue Card's goose.

Silviniaco Conti ran a stinker at Wetherby so either PN got his maths wrong on how fit he had him or he is losing his way.

Need to be stone mad to take Cue Card on from the start at Haydock. If he did it would be very easy to drop Cue Card in and let SC get on with it.

Doubt if he'll beat Cue Card no matter how it's run

Back