Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Obviously want to see how Cue Card returns tomorrow but I would probably want to be with Cue Card or Dynaste over Conti in the betfair.

Silviniaco Conti ran a stinker at Wetherby so either PN got his maths wrong on how fit he had him or he is losing his way.

Need to be stone mad to take Cue Card on from the start at Haydock. If he did it would be very easy to drop Cue Card in and let SC get on with it.

Doubt if he'll beat Cue Card no matter how it's run

PN got little wrong, and was quite satisfied with the run. The married man's pace SC set was clear indication of his intention.

Silviniaco Conti is a horse I've never really taken to, but given so many of Nicholls horses have needed the outing I'm prepared to ignore Saturday's run despite what he said Reet.

Last edited:
yes we got that really good Betfair chase to look forward to..pity its at the Bermuda Triangle of racecourses with cookie the clown in charge...guess the distance..guess the ground

what a farce of a place...they ought to move the Betfair to another track...Doncaster would be my idea of a similarish track..one thats got furlong markers...a furlong apart etc.

It's registered name is the Lancashire Chase, so balls to having it at a Yorkshire track.
Last year apart it's been a fine race on a good track, and the fences are better now as well

a bit old fashioned going with the old name Euro...last year is how its going to be in future though...thats problem...get it to Donny..a proper racecourse..be a lot better:p

just get it changed to Yorkshire Chase..its only one word

Last edited:
a bit old fashioned going with the old name Euro...last year is how its going to be in future though...thats problem...get it to Donny..a proper racecourse..be a lot better:p

just get it changed to Yorkshire Chase..its only one word

The north west is a huge hot bed for racing, Haydock's fixture on Eclipse day always outdraws Sandown - and I think the course deserves a proper Grade 1 Chase.

A bit old fashioned like myself tiggers I see.
I tried this argument once or twice here only to meet a brick wall.
A little like country music being taken over by "deodourised cowboys " so too is traditional Nh races being "deodourised " by so called Do gooders to falling audiences (or so it seems )
On a similar note Sir Mark Prescott was over for a funeral of a great coursing friend of his last week. He related how he and this man with others kept The Waterloo Cup alive for 20 years. Anyways they went against all convention and advertised the event greatly.The anti blood sport people took an advert in the programme of a Liverpool/Everton Derby match. 20000 went to Altcar to witness the coursing that year. Most had seen the advert at the game and their interest /curiosity was aroused sufficiently to go and witness the event. Nowt strange as folk.
There are two of in it Tigger and we shall go down together.

The north west is a huge hot bed for racing, Haydock's fixture on Eclipse day always outdraws Sandown - and I think the course deserves a proper Grade 1 Chase.

the course needs to act like it deserves a Grade 1 Chase then...we need proper distances and going descriptions....just two basics that we should have..ffs its 2014..not the 1930's

Impressive stuff from Shuthefrontdoor at Carlisle there giving 18lbs to the fav
33/1 for the big one isn't too shabby

Shutthefrontdoor was impressive under a lovely ride from Geraghty.The fav was a small chasing debutante who needed a flat out gallop to be at her best in 3 mile hurdles-she will find it hard to win over fences.

Impressive stuff from Shuthefrontdoor at Carlisle there giving 18lbs to the fav
33/1 for the big one isn't too shabby

He's beaten a 143-rated animal 8L off levels, and has run to more-or-less bang-on his handicap mark......seems about the right price for the Gold Cup to me.

The price does seem about right for what he has achieved so far I agree but with it not looking a stellar year for staying chasers and doubts about the old guard like Bob and Conti, With AP on board a surefire stayer like that im more than happy to have a sniff at 33s.

Well is Many Clouds overpriced for this after yesterday?
Yes he ultimately beat stayers. Yet he does have ability to mix it over a shorter trip as his win over Eduard showed. I wasn't convinced he would see this out myself. The fact he did in a gruelling race like that made it even more impressive imo. I do think his win is better than the bare form, because you see the placed horses and just disregard the race in relevance to the Gold Cup. Obviously cut will aide his chances. 20/1 looks fairly generous to me.

It looks such an open renewal this season that 20/1 for Many Clouds is not a bad bit of business at all as I have serious doubts over the old guard.
With Shutthefrontdoor having a good shout aswell imo,There looks some real AP value in the race.

Second season chasers that win Hennessy have a decent Gold Cup record lately from Bobsworth through Denman.
I would love to see Trevor Hemmings win a Gold Cup given the time, interest and money he has spent on NH horses this past twenty or so years.
At his early stages of ownership when the Grand National was his main target race his luck was where Barry Connell's is now.
Hope Barry's changes for the better soon as well by the way.

Many Clouds doesn't strike me as a Gold Cup winner. He was off just 151, a good bit lower than the likes of Bobs Worth and nowhere near as impressive. He'd still have to improve to get near last year's principals and they were a shower of sh1te.

Back