Cheltenham Handicaps

Saw on Twitter there the no. of entries for each H'cap race at the festival. Numbers very low based on recent years.

No doubt Slim is all over this already.

Do we get the List of horses entered for each race today and then the weights next week - or do we only see the list of horses once weights are published?

The Fred Winter is 44 entries and there is a horse trained in Ireland 33/1. Do the maths...

Ive got everything crossed Wide Receiver gets in the Martin Pipe. Ill be sick as a pig if he misses out cause of that run last time out

Rest easy, he's entered

Roger.

Do the Imperial Cup entries come standard on the Monday before the race?

Or is there an earlier declaration stage?

Also, let me know if Eamon An Cnoic got an entry in the County or Martin Pipe please.

Last edited:
Bet365 pushed Mister Coffey out to 33's for the county following the betfair. I've took some of that, was never put in the race yesterday at all which makes me think Hendo knew Soaring Glory was chucked in & save MC for another day.

Mister Coffey not entered in the County I'm afraid

Roger.

Do the Imperial Cup entries come standard on the Monday before the race?

Or is there an earlier declaration stage?

Also, let me know if Eamon An Cnoic got an entry in the County or Martin Pipe please.

Standard as far as I know

Eamon An Cnoic entered in both

Soaring Glory will go up to about 141 for the other day. He'll be up against plots that would have given him a run before his hike.

I imagine he'll be one of the favourites for the County so would maybe wait until the day of the race before getting involved. The NRNB books aren't giving much away.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Coral Cup again with Dame De Compagnie. There will also be a few of the hcap hurdlers that ran down the park at the DRF showing their true form in March.

And he could also win the Pertemps final with Champagne Platinum.

All on top of the chases :)

Dame De Compagnie not entered in the Coral

Soaring Glory will go up to about 141 for the other day. He'll be up against plots that would have given him a run before his hike.

I imagine he'll be one of the favourites for the County so would maybe wait until the day of the race before getting involved. The NRNB books aren't giving much away.

143. He's thrown in off that too.

Third Time Lucki is 144 for example. I know which one is better handicaped, that's for sure. I'm in no rush to bet it but he should be fav.

Last edited:
Dame De Compagnie not entered in the Coral
I haven't backed it for the Coral :)
She must be running in the mares hurdle. Strange.
Dame De Compagnie
Close Brothers Mares' Hurdle
Hendo says…..
She's good but unfortunately, she unseated at Sandown, where she was probably struggling on the testing ground. We schooled her over fences last week and the Sandown experience has done her no harm but it's hard to go into Cheltenham on the back of that so it could be possible she reverts to hurdles. She had jumped extremely well on her chase debut at Ayr and she definitely has a future over fences.

Last edited:
143. He's thrown in off that too.

Third Time Lucki is 144 for example. I know which one is better handicaped, that's for sure. I'm in no rush to bet it but he should be fav.

Do you think he'd win the Supreme? If not, where do you reckon he would finish in it, theoretically? (He obviously isn't going to actually run in both.)

To win the County off 141, he'd need to be a 151 (absolute minimum) horse and the chances are there are 155 horses likely to get in off marks in the high 130s.

I do suspect Mullins stumbled across a newish route into the race lastyear with Saint Roi, when he revealed after the race that they were looking at SR as one of their main Supreme hopes earlier in the season but a setback knocked it on the head. He ended up getting into the County off a very low mark.

I also reckon other big yards with possible multiple entries in the race will have clocked what happened last year and kept a possible second- or third-string Supreme type back to preserve a mark in the 130s.

Then again, in recent years Mullins has manipulated Champion Hurdle contenders down to marks in the 150s:

Aramon - 154 in the Supreme, so potentially a 164 second-season horse, off 149 in the County.
Arctic Fire - OR 169 from running up to Faugheen in the 2015 CH until December that calendar year, won the County off 158 first time up after 14 months off.
Wicklow Brave - 145 novice hurdler (so potentially 155 second season), won County off 138.

Interesting with the Pertemps (more for personal interest) but there are only 46 horses entered and 15 from Ireland.

Perfect Man who I have a share in, is in the last and a 6 runner qualifier on Thursday at Chepstow. He is running off 133 but is due a 2lbs drop to 131. Assuming he gets round safely we are in the first 6 so we qualify.

Having looked at the entries, and there are 10 below him, you’d imagine that all 15 Irish either won’t come or get in, he’s going to need to be running off about 133/34 to guarantee getting in to the festival race!

There are 4 of us in the horse and our plan was originally to run at Chepstow and then head to Auteuil on the 13th BUT we now have a live chance of a festival runner (although I imagine he will be a 33/1+ poke). What will make our decision even harder as to where to go is if they say that owners can go to the festival...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think he'd win the Supreme? If not, where do you reckon he would finish in it, theoretically? (He obviously isn't going to actually run in both.)

To win the County off 141, he'd need to be a 151 (absolute minimum) horse and the chances are there are 155 horses likely to get in off marks in the high 130s.

I do suspect Mullins stumbled across a newish route into the race lastyear with Saint Roi, when he revealed after the race that they were looking at SR as one of their main Supreme hopes earlier in the season but a setback knocked it on the head. He ended up getting into the County off a very low mark.

I also reckon other big yards with possible multiple entries in the race will have clocked what happened last year and kept a possible second- or third-string Supreme type back to preserve a mark in the 130s.

Then again, in recent years Mullins has manipulated Champion Hurdle contenders down to marks in the 150s:

Aramon - 154 in the Supreme, so potentially a 164 second-season horse, off 149 in the County.
Arctic Fire - OR 169 from running up to Faugheen in the 2015 CH until December that calendar year, won the County off 158 first time up after 14 months off.
Wicklow Brave - 145 novice hurdler (so potentially 155 second season), won County off 138.

Did Soaring Glory win with more than 10lbs in hand on Sunday? Yes.
Would running to 150-152 at the festival be good enough to win a county hurdle but not be good enough to win a Supreme? Yes
Should I be worried about reds under the bed that might be better handicaped in the race? No.

Interesting with the Pertemps (more for personal interest) but there are only 46 horses entered and 15 from Ireland.

Perfect Man who I have a share in, is in the last and a 6 runner qualifier on Thursday at Chepstow. He is running off 133 but is due a 2lbs drop to 131. Assuming he gets round safely we are in the first 6 so we qualify.

Having looked at the entries, and there are 10 below him, you’d imagine that all 15 Irish either won’t come or get in, he’s going to need to be running off about 133/34 to guarantee getting in to the festival race!

There are 4 of us in the horse and our plan was originally to run at Chepstow and then head to Auteuil on the 13th BUT we now have a live chance of a festival runner (although I imagine he will be a 33/1+ poke). What will make our decision even harder as to where to go is if they say that owners can go to the festival...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds great, Flaggers. Good luck. Keep us updated with how you get along.

Back