Cheltenham Handicaps

Did Soaring Glory win with more than 10lbs in hand on Sunday? Yes.
Would running to 150-152 at the festival be good enough to win a county hurdle but not be good enough to win a Supreme? Yes
Should I be worried about reds under the bed that might be better handicaped in the race? No.

You really think SG could have won by 15 lengths the other day?

I would have to admit, if you really believer that you should be getting stuck into it.

Did Soaring Glory win with more than 10lbs in hand on Sunday? Yes.
Would running to 150-152 at the festival be good enough to win a county hurdle but not be good enough to win a Supreme? Yes
Should I be worried about reds under the bed that might be better handicaped in the race? No.

I like him too. But wouldn't you be worried about The Shunter, Blue Lord, Thedevilscoachman to name but three? He's no certainty despite still have a good few pound in hand.

I like him too. But wouldn't you be worried about The Shunter, Blue Lord, Thedevilscoachman to name but three? He's no certainty despite still have a good few pound in hand.

Not sure what you mean. I'm saying Soaring Glory should go for the County.

Not sure what you mean. I'm saying Soaring Glory should go for the County.

I agree, but there's teh prospect of Willie sending one of his better novices there like he did last year with Saint Roi. Blue Lord would be an obvious one in my opinion. Meade could also send the Devilscoachman there for JP. Plus the Shunter is still massively ahead of his mark. All three are entered.

The point I'm making is that I'll be backing Soaring Glory, but it won't be a penalty kick.

Well they made a bollocks of Thedevilscoachmans mark. He was on 135 before his latest run. Blue Lord is the most overrated horse in the festival. Everyone thinks he's better than he's shown. I don't think he'll run in the county despite it being an ideal target.

At this stage you find a horse that's well handicapped that's all you can do. You can't be seeing reds under every bed.

Last edited:
Well they made a bollocks of Thedevilscoachmans mark. He was on 135 before his latest run. Blue Lord is the most overrated horse in the festival. Everyone thinks he's better than he's shown. I don't think he'll run in the county despite it being an ideal target.

At this stage you find a horse that's well handicapped that's all you can do. You can't be seeing reds under every bed.

Very true. We know SG is in the right kind of form, and novices or completely unexposed second season horses are winning all these big handicaps. We'll have a shortlist of no more than 6 or 7 you'd think, and he'll be one you'd narrow it down to.

Very true. We know SG is in the right kind of form, and novices or completely unexposed second season horses are winning all these big handicaps. We'll have a shortlist of no more than 6 or 7 you'd think, and he'll be one you'd narrow it down to.

You know well that at this stage you just pick off any horses that look a rick. I just hope we have the Elliot plots right for multis!

Spot on. I'll have 5 or 6 shortners backed to trade off. I'll just keep what I want on the day.

The multis is where it's at. There's load to be made on the place parts, and hopefully a big top up with any that fully land.

Does anybody know where I'd find a consolidated list of weight allocations to Irish horses in handicaps that are supplemental to their Irish ratings please? Thanks in advance.

I only know the BHA claims to maintain an Irish handicap.

I'm not convinced myself.

I suspect they wait until Irish horses are entered over here then check them out.

I think, though, that most marks over 150 are arrived at in discussions between the two authorities so maybe they keep closer track of the Graded events and better handicaps.

If you do find the golden fleece, do let us know :)

JP showed him the way last year. Two novice entries. Take your pick.

I've backed both nrnb, and the more I look at them I prefer the outsider of the two.

Back